main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3SA]The Future: Implications of the new film in relation to forum traffic...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Imran, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    While registration for 3SA might discourage someone from easily creating 10 socks to terrorize 3SA over a period of a few days, it won't stop the problem. The truth is that if someone wants to troll 3SA, then they're going to do it. It would be rather easy to front as a new and obedient user, then once you have access to the forum you can troll freely until the moderators step in. Basically, the same scenario as we have now. We've been through this twice before and these measures weren't necessary then nor do I think they are now.

What people need to understand is that a majority of trolls do whatever for attention. If the user base could learn to ignore them and deny them the very thing they're seeking, it will significantly cut down on the number of cases we see in the forum.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    About the only realistic thing that could be done would be to keep thread creation limited to moderators. That was proposed in May of 2002, and while it was a popular sentiment for a time, it wasn't implemented and eventually became a moot point (when things slowed down in the AOTC forum).

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Well, RL things happen, and the forum can't be covered at all times. But definitely the best way to deal with trolls is to PM a mod, for now.

4. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    -_-_-_-_-_- posted on 2/25/05 6:12am

What people need to understand is that a majority of trolls do whatever for attention. If the user base could learn to ignore them and deny them the very thing they're seeking, it will significantly cut down on the number of cases we see in the forum.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Except that will never happen. My suggestion: deputize the 3SA Knights. By the time we're through, there'll be nothing but relevant and official threads.

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Except that will never happen. My suggestion: deputize the 3SA Knights. By the time we're through, there'll be nothing but relevant and official threads.

*has a heartattack and dies*

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Deputizing more mods might be a good short-term solution to the problem, but I've found the other mods on the boards to be extremely helpful in a pinch. The only problem is finding one on the spoiled-mods short list; there's a good number of them but sometimes it's surprisingly tough to track one of them down.

Anyway, give it two to three months following RotS release and it'll die down to a reasonable level, IMO.

7. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    droideka27 posted on 2/26/05 1:08am
    [i]Except that will never happen. My suggestion: deputize the 3SA Knights. By the time we're through, there'll be nothing but relevant and official threads.[/i]

*has a heartattack and dies*
    [hr][/blockquote]

Great. Now we can install Snowball in your place.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    My suggestion: deputize the 3SA Knights. By the time we're through, there'll be nothing but relevant and official threads.

I'm sorry, but [face_laugh]

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I concur with Dingo. How would one "deputize" a mod? Promote them to manager or admin? Not quite necessary in the least. The powers the mods have right now are stable enough to handle anything noobs or trolls could throw at them. I agree that it's out of hand now from time to time, but all we can do now is hope that things will change before the movie release becomes even nearer.

10. PK_Ate_My_Baby

PK_Ate_My_Baby Jedi Master star 2

Feb 21, 2005
    Alright as someone who posted here during the AOTC Spoiler days. Let me say this, if we don't encourage the trolls especially right now, they'll stop or they'll start invading more threads getting louder and louder. I've not ran into a mod yet who's had problem with helping us out.

FamousAmos was quite helpful during the Thousand Day Month of Trolling in January. Along with many other mods. The thing is right now which happened in 2SA days, the users and mods came to a point where we ignored trolls. And that's what is going to have to be done here. Cause believe me as a Vetren of these Spoiler sort of times, it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

And if you think it's going to get better after the movie releases. It won't, try probably Febuary of next year when things finally cool down.

~PK~

11. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    We've been through this before. Yes, there's lotz of traffic, and that is good, as everyone becomes excited for the soon to be released. The other JC mods are available, even the FanForce mods, if the trolling is so bad, if the regular 3SA mods are not around. It will all slow down by 01 June; that's only a few months away. Sapes could also appoint temporary mods if they feel a few more are necessary until 01 June.

12. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    mac-nut Sapes could also appoint temporary mods if they feel a few more are necessary until 01 June.

[/blockquote]

Exactly. And who better than us to address the problem in the 3SA? We are a constant presence there, and our behaviour as of late as been nothing short of modly in every respect. Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting you deputize all 40+ of us - maybe eight at the most.

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    MILK-HANDS posted on 2/27/05 10:10am
    Exactly. And who better than us to address the problem in the 3SA? We are a constant presence there, and our behaviour as of late as been nothing short of modly in every respect. Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting you deputize all 40+ of us - maybe eight at the most.
    [hr][/blockquote] Does the phrase "over our cold, dead bodies" mean anything to you?

Kimball Kinnison

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Sape did that about a year ago, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less and he caught a lot of flak for it. That and in the matter of hours he'd added hundreds, if not a thousand people and this was only on day 1. Its not possible to have the 3SA be the flagship of the boards and become a private forum.

15. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    Kimball_Kinnison posted on 2/27/05 10:15am
    Does the phrase "over our cold, dead bodies" mean anything to you?

Kimball Kinnison
    [hr][/blockquote]

This issue in particular already seems to inspire heart attacks in mods and managers. But no need to be dramatic. We would use our modly powers for the effort of good, not evil. Only the shedim need fear us.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Oh, oh, I guess I got the wrong impression earlier, but this...well, this is crazy. Why, in any case, would the administration give the public the power to have the 3SA at their disposal? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I agree that the 3SA mods need to get in line before it gets even more out of hand, but I guess the only thing we can hope for is that some of the other out-of-forum mods will step in and give them a hand. In the days of the 2SA, things we're handled much better that I'm seeing things being handled now, but it doesen't look like we have much of a choice but to hope this pulls through without a hitch.

One could say "oh, we would do nothing but help the forums," but it could cause hell, and nothing could be done because the adminstration invited it. It's not going to happen, buddy.

17. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa posted on 2/27/05 10:22am
    Oh, oh, I guess I got the wrong impression earlier, but this...well, this is crazy. Why, in any case, would the administration give the public the power to have the 3SA at their disposal? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I agree that the 3SA mods need to get in line before it gets even more out of hand, but I guess the only thing we can hope for is that some of the other out-of-forum mods will step in and give them a hand. In the days of the 2SA, things we're handled much better that I'm seeing things being handled now, but it doesen't look like we have much of a choice but to hope this pulls through without a hitch.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I disagree. And as we have been repeatedly informed by the mods, the 3SA Knights are not part of the public, we are a power-assuming clique. Why not turn the clique against the trolls and the redundancy of the 3SA?

And in a place where matters outside the JC can get you banned here, I would hardly call it the first step, if it is that, towards insanity.

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    MILK-HANDS posted on 2/27/05 10:30am
    I disagree. And as we have been repeatedly informed by the mods, the 3SA Knights are not part of the public, we are a power-assuming clique. Why not turn the clique against the trolls and the redundancy of the 3SA?[hr][/blockquote]

Okay, if we give the 3SA Knights power, then we'll give the Blue Yoda Society power, then we'll give the Dantooine Base power, then we'll give the Light and Dark Sides power, then the Outcasts. Where does it end? You're right about one thing, it's just a clique. If you give one power, what makes their intentions any better than any of the others on TFN? My point is that there's always going to be a loose cannon, but if we don't give them the option to explode, we'll have nothing to worry about.

19. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa posted on 2/27/05 10:35am
    Okay, if we give the 3SA Knights power, then we'll give the Blue Yoda Society power, then we'll give the Dantooine Base power, then we'll give the Light and Dark Sides power, then the Outcasts. Where does it end? You're right about one thing, it's just a clique. If you give one power, what makes their intentions any better than any of the others on TFN? My point is that there's always going to be a loose cannon, but if we don't give them the option to explode, we'll have nothing to worry about.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Yes, but the BYS does not operate out of the 3SA. The Knights, however heavy their involvement in the YJCC, are still a product of the 3SA and the GIL, to which we have received a wearisome string of criticism.

You ask, where does it end? I am merely following the example of the Administration, when they dictate that an action is not necessarily a precedent that needs to be followed. These powers given to us, would in fact be relinquished when the problems in the 3SA died down with the traffic. An arbitrary date may be the best way to assauge fears. Perhaps June 15?

Our intentions are entirely to the 3SA and for the 3SA. A heavy sector of the boards, but not all of the boards in of themselves.

20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    MILK-HANDS posted on 2/27/05 10:43am
    Yes, but the BYS does not operate out of the 3SA. The Knights, however heavy their involvement in the YJCC, are still a product of the 3SA and the GIL, to which we have receivec a wearisome string of criticism.

You ask, where does it end? I am merely following the example of the Administration, when they dictate that an action is not necessarily a precedent that needs to be followed. These powers given to us, would in fact be relinquished when the problems in the 3SA died down with the traffic. An arbitrary date may in fact be the best way to assauge fears. Perhaps June 15?

Our intentions are entirely to the 3SA and for the 3SA. A heavy sector of the boards, but not all of the boards in of themselves.[hr][/blockquote]

I don't think we're in a bad enough situation to hand over power to the users. I don't think we ever will. All we can hope for now is that out-of-forum mods will be enough help. We've just got to hand it over to the administration. I understand that you personally have a want for nothing more than to help the boards, and that is completely respectable, however, there are plenty of other people out there who would abuse that power, and that few is what the administration has to think about here. It's too risky. I feel the situation will be handled one way or another. All the 3SA Knights can do now is be as helpful in the 3SA as possible. Link to original threads for n00bs, PM moderations, ect. It's nothing close to having power, but it looks like it's all you can do.

21. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    Corruption is antithetical to the Knights existence. But so be it. The Administration is throwing out a tremendous potential here, a pure crystal source of awakening modliness.

I wanted a way to help the 3SA, and for a modly example to be available our legions of admirers. Too bad. I snatch my olive branch to the Administration away. So sad.

22. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Personally, I don't see the administration being "sorry" for this choice they've made.

23. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    sowwy, I didn't further expand my comment about temporary mods. We have many retired and ex-mods/managers/administrators (JC and FF) who are experienced, and it is up to the administrators and owners if they should invite the former mods to help out temporarily. They've been here, done that, know all the rules, know how to handle all the magic buttons, and have already been cleared for action.

*whew* didn't mean to start a new clamor [face_plain] :D

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm not a 3SA person, though I've modded in there once or twice and I hated it, but I think the best bet really is just to contact other mods to handle the problem.

Granted, a lot of mods are spoiler free, but the moment they see ROTS, they won't care if they go into the forum to help out. Sure thats only after the movie is released, but its something. :p

I'm spoiler-free, or trying to be it, but if there is no one around let me know and I'll take care of it. I'll probably curse to myself, but I'd handle the problem.

EV Edit: I strongly oppose temporary mods. Its not fair to them for us to promote them for a month or two, then demote them after we used them. If we promote it should only be for the long term.

Just gave it colors to stand out, since I edited it in in response to a previous comment and didn't want it to get over-looked. Or rather so I woulnd't post again 2 minutes later. :p

25. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Well, ex-mods, that's not such a bad idea. We shouldn't PM them all asking for help, but if any of them want to come forward to help in the situation, I think that would work out pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.