main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3SA] The State Of 3SA

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthAttorney, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I know when I'm beaten. It's done. I'm out of my league. He had PM's with GS awhile back. :)

2. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    good to see you have finally seen the truth sapient :p

3. Semblance

Semblance Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2003
    He had PM's with GS awhile back.

That was never an argument I put forward.

3SA needs a new mod to cover the time that used to be put in by GS. Quite simple to comprehend.

4. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm not arguing with you. I'm honestly trying to help with your coverage concerns. What times did he cover that you see as no longer being covered? Please provide typical days of the week and times using board time.

5. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm generally online from 1600-0200 board time daily. [face_whistling]

6. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    The times are approximate. The hours would be weekday evenings from 5 PM to Midnight board time (8 PM to 3 AM, EST). I can't comment after midnight board time, since I'm asleep.

If I remember right, last Wednesday evening (5/26) was one of those nights where one or two mods briefly appeared, but there wasn't much coverage.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I shouldn't be one to say this, but I know you're interested in being a mod. I've seen posts in the 3SA and we know you were online when this happened. Trust me, we constantly scour the 3SA and we know. There's TONS more to being a mod than availability. But from someone who almost didn't become a mod because of the very thing you're doing now, feel comfortable and accept it when I tell you it's duly noted. :)

8. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    In otherwords, quit constantly voluntering for it :p

9. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    but I know you're interested in being a mod.

Eh? No. I would never be a mod for a site run by Phil or Josh. Guess again.

I've seen posts in the 3SA and we know you were online when this happened.

Huh?

The 3SA needs an extra mod who is not me. Thanks. :)

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I will try to respond in greater detail to the general times you listed. But I can comment on the 26th through today. All forums were without normal coverage during that time because of the American holiday Memorial Day. I know all of the 3SA mods, for example, are living in America and had off Monday. Some also took an extended vacation by taking a day off on Friday. Holidays are an exception to the rule. Would you say as a whole the 3SA experiences an elevated level of problems like what was observed this weekend during the aforementioned times? Are those problems extensive or of the type that any mod could handle if sent a PM?

11. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm assuming that was referring to me, Sapes. I was just making a joke because people call me a pretend mod sometimes. :p

12. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    They call U a pretend mod ?

[face_shocked] :p

Seriously though, I think Jace's locked topc, the warning to trolls or whatever, should be remade as a stickey :p

13. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I'll admit, that thread was a bit pointed, and bringing attention to trolls only gives them power. That thread shouldn't be stickied. It was made just to make a quick jest back at the trolls.

I just have too much personality for a mod position. I wouldn't be a neutral, authoritive force. I'd be like a Dooku of the 3SA, editing your post and talking smack to you while I do it. :p

Also, I've been a mod/admin at other boards and it's a tough job, even when we had less strict Terms of Service, so I give these guys respect for taking this position voluntarily.

I still think, however, that there needs to be more than one mod per time of the day. There should be at least two for the busy times, in case one is absent or the activity is too quick to handle alone.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Word of advice...I know what you meant by this:

I just have too much personality for a mod position.

I have a thick skin and I know how you meant this. If I wanted to, I could claim a mild flame. I'll translate:

Mods don't have any personality and I don't want to give that up to be a mod.

So just letting you know how it could be perceived by those a bit more sensitive. Lest you forget I was a Comms mod before head admin. If a mod works Comms and is sensitive, they're dead. Makes you wonder how many HUGE Comms threads are a function of subjectivity as they are a function of sensitivity. ;)

15. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I wasn't meaning that mods have zero personality, I'm just saying my mod work would be quite colorful, too colorful. :p

EDIT:
    Thank you dictionary.com...

The word I was looking for is "poignant". My voice is too poignant to be appropriate for a mod. That's what I meant... I think.

16. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    Some also took an extended vacation by taking a day off on Friday.

Yeah, but the 26th was last Wednesday. It's just an example of the last day I remember. I purposely left out days after the 26th due to the holiday.

Would you say as a whole the 3SA experiences an elevated level of problems like what was observed this weekend during the aforementioned times?

I'm not talking about the massive trolling that went on this weekend. I am referring to a general decline in coverage during the weekday evenings. Users get the sense of when mods aren't around. The mood has changed in the last few months because users sense the mods aren't there. More bad language, basher posts, LOTR nonsense, etc. This isn't necessarily visible if you just scan thread titles.

Are those problems extensive or of the type that any mod could handle if sent a PM?

Too extensive. Thanks for listening. :)

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'll always listen. I want the 3SA to continually improve. Part of what we're seeing is the overall decline in spoilers. I believe they're available, but sharing them carries a higher price than ever before. So the forum is restless and every idea has been discussed in a thread full-circle.

18. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Then make a PRIVATE 3SA that can discuss these spoilers without fear of LFL.

19. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    how can lfl take legal action because a group of people are talking about stuff that happens in the movie .

what will they charge the site with , discusssion :confused:

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't have a problem with the trolls as much as the general stupidity of some people.

:p

21. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The times are approximate. The hours would be weekday evenings from 5 PM to Midnight board time (8 PM to 3 AM, EST). I can't comment after midnight board time, since I'm asleep.

That's when I'm online. I post from 5pm to, usually, somewhere between midnight and 2am. I post from work, so work has to come first, but I always check in as much as I can. G-S and I are typically on at the same time, when he's online.

I don't know how long he stays online, but Sinister tends to come on at about the time I log off.

22. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    That's when I'm online.

GS doesn't count anymore. At this point, you are the only mod that has been in 3SA for the last three hours. If work took you away, we'd have zero mods. And this is during a time when the OS updates. It's not a low traffic time.

I'm not criticizing mods. I just think we need one more for the evening time.

23. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    If work took you away, we'd have zero mods. And this is during a time when the OS updates. It's not a low traffic time. I'm not criticizing mods. I just think we need one more for the evening time.

I think he has a point there. :)

24. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Work takes me away for minutes at a time, not hours. I don't think the 3SA is going to explode if I turn away from the computer for a few minutes.

25. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I actually brought up the idea of another mod for 3SA last night in MS, but we haven't come to any decision on whether one is truly needed or not. We're trying to explore all options.

With that in mind, I'd like to redirect this line of discussion a little to gather more ideas. Assuming that we do not eliminate, replace or promote any mods, what else could be done to alleviate some of these problems?

For example, a clearer list of the spoiled mods, with the "Online?" links would probably help quite a bit. Additionally, one mod proposed a possible IM "catch all" warning account that mods could monitor for reports of troll activity.

So, let's brainstorm ideas on how to deal with the root cause of the problems. Let's not get bogged down on one possible solution when there are many others out there that haven't been aired yet.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.