main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3SA] The State Of 3SA

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthAttorney, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Semblance

Semblance Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2003
    Well I'm not actually concerned much about the blatant trolling that happens. There's usually a mod somewhere that can handle that.

3SA is a high traffic site. It's going to get worse as EP III gets closer. The quality in the evenings has degraded, I think, because the users have sensed that the mods aren't there. I just don't think that having one mod in the popular evening time is enough. I think a new mod needs to pick up the workload previously handled by GS.

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe a little complicated but,

A "Report this User" link attached next to the "Post Reply | Post History | Private Message" links at the bottom of each post. When a user hits the link, the server notes the target user and the forum it was clicked in, and sends it to a small page, where the reporting user would select a category like "Troll, Inappropriate Material, Spoiler, etc." It would be a drop-down menu so the spellings would be standard.

Then the sent information goes to a mod/admin only page where all mods can see it, organized by time, and they can discern cases by forums or urgency (Trolls would be bolded). The info they see will include: The time, the category, the forum, the problem user, and the reporting user. Then a link would take them to the thread where the problem is located.

Of course, this brings the temptation to just report a user for no valid reason. If the arriving mod finds out it's been a hoax, the faking user should suffer a 48hr ban, no questions asked. This rule should be broadcasted so that everyone knows and can't claim ignorance. If it was an accident when they sent the info, they can try to explain so in the Unban request form. Of course, it would be hard to have made it an accident when you have to:

1) Hit the "Report this User" link
    2) Go to the Report page
    3) Fill out the required field: category.
    4) Submit

Like I said, kind of complicated, but it would probably help out all the major boards (3SA, JCC, etc.)

Jus' brainstormin' :)

EDIT:

Just explained a few stuff more carefully.

3. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Good idea, but it sounds like a code change (not an impossible one, but one nonetheless.)

4. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    Well dehrian did a good job tonight, as usual, but he was the only 3SA mod online from 5 PM to 11 PM board time. Is dehrian expected to be here every hour of every weekday evening?

5. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    With that in mind, I'd like to redirect this line of discussion a little to gather more ideas. Assuming that we do not eliminate, replace or promote any mods, what else could be done to alleviate some of these problems?
    There is nothing additional that needs to be done. The current structure is fine. Troll attacks happen, big deal. 99% of the time people don't even see the trolls because they are dealt with quickly.

For example, a clearer list of the spoiled mods, with the "Online?" links would probably help quite a bit. Additionally, one mod proposed a possible IM "catch all" warning account that mods could monitor for reports of troll activity.
    Again, it's not necessary. I suppose if this minor incident is viewed as being so traumatic that something has to be done this would work but really it's overkill. If users follow the current rules and actually take time to find someone on line everything will be fine.

I certainly would never discourage people lofting legitimate complaints, but this is ludicrous.
    Out of the millions of attacks that happen, one gets through for a few hours and people act as if someone has been killed.
    Let's keep an eye on this situation and give the mods in 3sa a chance to do there jobs. If this problem keeps presenting itself then it can be looked into again but for now everything is fine and needs not to be adjusted.

6. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    If this problem keeps presenting itself then it can be looked into again

The JC is around 5 years old. You make it sound as if this is the first troll attack, which would contradict your earlier statement regarding "millions of attacks". It HAS kept presenting itself, therefore we MUST look into it. :)

7. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    It HAS kept presenting itself, therefore we MUST look into it

Yes, and 99% of the time it is dealt with swiftly and you don't even see it.
    Besides the one incident highlighted in the recent discussion, can you please detail for me the last time an attack went without a response for a prolonged period?
    Please be specific and list the date of the attack and time the users had to wait for a response.

8. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    The only time a troll attack lasts any longer than 5 minutes and users have to wait is because those who witness troll attacks refuse to PM a mod. I think Sembalance needs to realize that ANY mod can deal with a troll attack, unless there are major spoilers in the troll's message, and there are other spoiled mods for that case. The only reason troll messages stay on the board as long as they do sometimes is because people take a "Where are the mods? Well, someone else will take care of it" attitude and they don't contact anyone.

9. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    its plain and simple , 3sa needs a new mod . G-S has dissapeared , leaving a major portion of the day open to troll attacks . 3sa needs the most attention out of any forum in the jc , due to its high traffic that never stops . the 5 3sa mods do a great job , but 6 3sa mods would do an even greater job . since i have registered i have noticed troll attacks have increased over the past few months , and its going to keep increasing as episode 3 nears release . we dont need a high tech super electronic troll detector , we need humans controlling computers monitering forums and deleting and editing posts . we built the pc's they didnt build us . maybe a mod could switch over to 3sa where help is needed , lit forum has like 3-4 mods and it gets like 5-6 posts a day when 3sa gets 5-6 posts a minute .

bottom line : 3sa needs a new mod - A.S.A.P

10. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    I agree with comet1440.

I think Sembalance needs to realize that ANY mod can deal with a troll attack

I haven't been discussing the troll attacks.

11. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    you havent :confused:

12. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    As I have asked before, can someone please list the troll attacks, besides the one we are discussing, that have lasted for any period of time and not been addressed?
    Please provide a date and time for when these happened and how long it took to get help.
    If the problem is as bad as you say I am sure there are several occasions that should come to mind and will qualify your opinion.

I would also say that BobtheGoon has forgotten more about PSA and it's inner workings than most people in this thread will ever know.

13. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I would also say that BobtheGoon has forgotten more about PSA and it's inner workings than most people in this thread will ever know.

[face_blush]

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm not posting a whole lot because Bob's correct on things and dehrian's the man. I don't every worry at night because I know he has it covered. He's an incredible mod.

I'll be putting up something kinda nifty today in the 3SA to hopefully really help you guys out in times of trouble and in a format we haven't used in a long time...a long time. This is my idea, so provide me with feedback. And give me reasonable time to spin the code.

And we will be increasing our 3SA ranks, sooner rather than later, but not because of the Memorial Day weekend. It's a general trend because of the approach to the final film and the personal lives of the 3SA mods have changed in the past three years.

15. Darth_Critter

Darth_Critter Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 24, 2003
    *First off, the mods in the 3SA are doing a fine job.

*Secondly from someone who used to run to Comms inappropriatley, I do believe there is a general misunderstanding about the "chain of command", as far as who people report to when the common 3SA mods are off. This is easily fixed as I was told what to do by a friendly Mod who had volunteered to help out in crunch times. :)

*Thirdly, I have foolishly gotten freaked out before by a flood of trolls before, and the best policy is to ignore it.
    Believe it or not, troll attacks are an annoyance, but they do not shut the board down.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I just had a new addition to my home, so I was away the holiday weekend from the keyboard, but usally I post as yall know night and day in this forum; and alot on the weekends as well. I always try to pm a mod when I see something that seems to go unnoticed by them- meaning it's been up for 5 mins, b/c seriously; they usally die in 3!

But with the new baby and the slowing down of the mighty fun engine that is the 3SA recently, I've slipped away as well.
    Or I would have used that mass mod pm link Raven kindly gave me.
    IF I could not find any other mods/admins online. Which is never the case, but I'll admit that's a slow process, when the 3SA is filling up fast by the unusual quickness of a DarthPug type troll.

Anyhow, I think the 3SA as a whole is still a well oiled machine, and these guys and gals who do this on this site for absolutley no moolah, do a job that shames paid moderaters on other sites. The 3SA front page changes very quickly at peak times and it's alot to watch. And being there as much as I've been; I've only encountered mod coverage holes/weakness on the late night weekends, which is just going to happen.

Oh and one more thing....

TIP: Do not use a SOCK ever, those socks are dangerous little buggers, and will get you in trouble! ;)

Keep up the good work ladies and gents!
    That is all.

DC

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Excellent news, Sapient. :)

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, the 3SA just took a turn. We'll have to replace Grilled-Sarlacc and quite possibly add a sixth member. I'll get that ball rolling immediately.

As promised above, here is a link to the 3SA sticky thread. I hope this helps for times when the 3SA mods are not online.

<table align="left" bgcolor="yellow" border="4"><tr><td><table align="center" bgcolor="white" border="2"><tr><td colspan="4">
    <p align=center>3SA Moderators</p><br><tr><td><font size=2> Moderator</font><td><font size=2> Online? </font> <td><font size=2> Send PM </font> <tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=423901" style="color: black;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: yellow;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;">DarthSapient</a></font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font> <td><font size=2> Send a PM</font><br><tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=426497" style="color: CornFlowerBlue;font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;background-color: Black;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid CornFlowerBlue;border-bottom: 1px solid CornFlowerBlue;border-right: 1px solid CornFlowerBlue;border-left: 1px solid CornFlowerB">darth-sinister</a></font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font> <td><font size=2> Send a PM</font><br><tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=226172" style="color: goldenrod;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Snow;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;">dehrian</a></font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font> <td><font size=2> Send a PM</font><br><tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=321035" style="color: Yellow;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Purple;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Yellow;border-bottom: 1px solid Yellow;border-right: 1px solid Yellow;border-left: 1px solid Yellow;">RolandofGilead</a></font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font><td><font size=2> Send a PM </font><br> <tr><td colspan="4">
    <p align=center>Spoiled Moderators Outside of the 3SA</p><br><tr><td><font size=2> Moderator</font><td><font size=2> Online? </font> <td><font size=2> Send PM </font> <br><tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=670977" style="color: Yellow;font-weight: normal;font-style: normal;background-color: Purple;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Yellow;border-bottom: 1px solid Yellow;border-right: 1px solid Yellow;border-left: 1px solid Yellow;">-_-_-_-_-_-</a> </font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font> <td><font size=2>Send a PM </font><br><tr><td><font size=2> <a href="/user.asp?usr=299615" style="color: Magenta;font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;background-color: SlateBlue;text-decoration: underline;border-top: 1px solid Chartreuse;border-bottom: 1px solid Chartreuse;border-right: 1px solid Chartreuse;border-left: 1px solid Chartreuse;">CrazyMike</a> </font> <td> <font size=2> Online?</font> <td><font size=2> Send a PM</font><br><tr><td><font siz

18. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    Thanks to GS for all his hard work over the years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.