main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3SA] There isn't enough active moderation in the Ep3(SA) forum for the lead-up to ROTS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Mischievous, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    As we're approaching ever closer to ROTS, there are a plethora of trolling/spamming/repetative and useless threads in the forum.

As we know, this is going to happen as the film gets closer, but it's geting worse all the time.

I hang around the forum generally at night, where the problem is more significant and is noticed by several members.

Just yesterday we had two JCC mods and a mod from a different forum having to police a thread that grew exponentially and had material which the site finds to be objectionable posting in open forum.

I rarely see certain Ep3(SA) mods present at all, much less closing threads and/or banning trolls/spammers. The problem is quite significant of the lack of proper policing within the forum, again especially during the night (US time).

I'm sure the other posters here who frequent the forum as I do can agree.

Thanks for hearing me out on this matter.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If mods who prefer to be unspoiled have to watch threads, it is time to promote someone new.

The JCC is enough for JCC mods, they don't need to watch 3SA too.

3. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I agree. The mods that we have now are doing an excellent job,but there's just too much traffic for them to handle by themselves. :)

4. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I've noticed this as well. I'd hate to think of having another 3SA mod, but if it will do the trick, then cool.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Mischevious, I made a thread back in December saying the exact same thing, and yet, everyone looked at me as if I we're insane. Now, looking at the future, everyone is saying to themselves, "hmmm, maybe it might be true".

I frequented the 2SA, and looking at the 3SA in it's current state, it's quite obvious something needs to be done. As drastic as possible if needed, but I predict that will be needed. It's crazy in the 3SA, especially since it didn't help promoting some 3SA mods who all live in the same time system. If you want my thorough opinion, you can take a look at my thread. Hopefully this one will make the job get done. :)

6. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I can't keep up with 3SA anymore. It's really hard filtering through the crap to find the gold, you know what I mean? I'll pop in once a week or so to see if I can spot anything of worth, but 90% of new topics are waste and most of those end up getting locked eventually.

Whatever happened to that idea of posting restrictions? Like, no one can start a new topic without X amount of posts under their belt? I know it's not a solution to the whole problem, but I think it'd help some.

Oh well, in three months' time it won't matter anyway.

L8r

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree. Looking back on the 2SA, man, it was like a breeze compared to now. In my old thread, the mods we're claiming they'll be working full time to keep an eye on the forums, but dude, saying you will and doing it is two different things, and it's just not being done. I'll suggest the same thing I did months ago-- demote a few mods, and promote a few international ones. The other mods will still have to keep an eye on the forum around the clock, but that would definately do the forum some benefit.

8. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Perhaps all the 3SA mods ARE working as hard as they can, but it just isn't enough? It's hard to know, especially since I'm not any sort of 3SA regular.

Edit: Clarification (added "3SA" before "mods")

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    One can't expect one mod to cover two forums in the after hours. Drastic times call for drastic measures. We'll see if this is enough over the next few months. We'll see something, that is.

10. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "Perhaps all the 3SA mods ARE working as hard as they can, but it just isn't enough? It's hard to know, especially since I'm not any sort of 3SA regular."

Exactly. They're working as hard as they can. But there's only so much 5 people can do. If 3SA had at least 2 more mods it would help things go smoother. :)

11. Jedi_Interceptor

Jedi_Interceptor Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    My impression is that the 3SA mods are not spending as much time there as they used to. Perhaps with the crackdown from LFL, it is not as much fun?

I'd love to see a female 3SA mod or two. The board needs some female sensibility. :)

12. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "My impression is that the 3SA mods are not spending as much time there as they used to. Perhaps with the crackdown from LFL, it is not as much fun?"

Plus,I think they would have to be burned out by now. I know if I was them,I'd be pulling my hair out right about now. :)

P.S.-3SA mods: Thanks for sticking in there all this time guys. We owe you one. [face_peace]

13. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I have to agree that although the current mod's are doing a very good job there is need for another moderator to fill in that time gap when there is no mod's online.

14. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    If mods who prefer to be unspoiled have to watch threads, it is time to promote someone new.

::raises hand::

darth_grievous1

15. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    A lot of these recent attacks have come from a single serial troll. We are in the process of dealing with him permanently, but he has been going nonstop, specifically looking for different boards to attack. He's hit in 3SA, WNU, and many other boards.

In addition to taking steps against him on the baords, we are investigating the other options available to us. Please be patient.

Kimball Kinnison

16. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Just promote BobTheGoon already and get it over with. The guy's already doing the job as much as a regular user can. You might as well go ahead and promote him, an extra hand definitely isn't going to hurt the 3SA.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm well aware that things have been tense in 3SA this weekend. Evenings and weekends have always been a problem on 3SA becuase from the start, because most of the 3SA Mods post during the day (JC time) This is soemthing we're currently trying to address, but as ROTS apporach's we're going to have to face the fact that there will probably never be enough moderators to cover 3SA at all times.

This weekend has been especially difficult, with the leaking of the bootlegged trailer and next week things will get worse when the real trailer arrives. The non-3SA mods have been fantastic this weekend and without them I couldn't have managed (I'm sure Hook and Sinister would agree, too) Thanks so much guys. :) Obviously if we had known a bootlegged version of the trailer was going to arrive we could have arranged better cover for the weekend, but as always these things crop up out of the blue and at the worst possible time-Evening+Weekend=TROUBLE!

Overall, we're just about coping I think, but we're in a tough position and it will get worse as the movie comes closer, but I'm trying my best, as are all the other mods, and with a bit of patience hopefully we can all work together to keep 3SA from collapsing under the strain of spam, trolling and redundancy.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    As KK says, a lot of it is coming from a single user. With a little help from AOL's abuse team we'll have him permanently removed.

I'm always a PM away when I'm online, and happy to help in the 3SA. We're totally aware of the problem, and dealing with it as best we can.

19. crackvader

crackvader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I agree with gabe, promote "the Goon" already.

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I barely ever venture into 3SA anymore, but I've always thought Bob would be a great choice.

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Just a query, but how long has something gone untouched that obviously needed moderation ? 30 mins, one hour ?

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As Malkie said, if anything needs obvious attention, I am just a PM away as well if I am online. I tend to be online during the early morning-early afternoon board time and I am normally around on weekends.

23. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I lurk a lot in 3SA and have done a lot of modding there recently. 99% of the modding I've done in 3SA in the past few weeks has been related to the troll KK has mentioned.

24. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Meh, if you get him kicked off of AOL, he will probably just return under another ISP.

Also, evenings and weekends are quite a large chunk of time, and are pretty busy times at that. They don't seem like good times to have lacking coverage. It also sounds like the single troll isn't the only problem, since outside mods have had to watch and moderate other individual threads as well.

Outside mods taking care of rare trolling is one thing, making them police the forum (especially when many of them have their own busy forums to moderate) is completely different. There shouldn't need to be a half-dozen or more outside mods taking care of stuff in outside forums on a semi-regular basis, especially if they wouldn't visit that forum for any other reason.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I've seen Mods from 3NSA(who I'm assuming are trying to remain spoiler free)have to come in and edit, or lock. I've also seen at least one other mod, that I know is trying to stay spoiler free, have to step in and do the same.

I don't think it's fair that they should have to come in and cover the mods that aren't around, and possibly have to deal with a topic that may ruin or spoil an aspect of the new movie for them. It's not their job, and it's not their designated forum. I understand that the mods are there to help each other out when needed, but asking them to patrol the 3SA is doubling, and for some mods, even tripling their workload.

That being said, I think that the mods at 3SA do a great job. They can't be there all the time, and for a lot of users in different timezones, they are never there. Somone above mentioned demoting a few existing mods, and replacing them. I think that's a bad idea, they do a fine job when they are on. The 3SA really just needs more prescence at night, and on weekends. So if they are to add another mod or two, they need to use that as criteria for the perspective new mod's availablity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.