main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends [ 4/15] To Still the Fates : Crèchewaif - 1367yr pre-ANH

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arin_Atona, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Title: To Still the Fates
    Author: Arin_Atona
    Timeframe: Saga Spanning (1,367yr pre-ANH - 21yr post-NJO)
    Characters: OC and Canon
    Genre: epic, drama, angst, action, romance, mystery, OC, behind-the-scenes, squad
    Keywords: Sith, Jedi, epic

Summary: Before being overthrown by the Jedi a millennia before the Skywalker dynasty began, the Sith dominated the galaxy. Ever obsessed with destiny and the destruction of the Jedi Order, the Sith attempt to force their own twisted fulfillment of the prophesied Chosen One...

Notes: Readers from On the Shoulders of Giants and Cruel Honor will see a bit of repeat, as those stories will be integrated into this one, but with a great deal of editing and new scenes. This story will also defy the bonds of time and traverse all three era boards by time it is finished. The portions of the story that occur Before the Saga are going to be very AU from the Jedi vs. Sith comic that depicts the Jedi overthrow of the Sith. Saga and Beyond portions of the story will be as close to canon as possible.

Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and I own no part of it. This story is simply in tribute.

Cover Art: (Click for correct view)
    [image=http://www.alcoris.com/tfn-images/tstf/tstf-cover.jpg]

Titles and Approximate Timeline

Before the Saga

(1367 - 849 years pre-ANH)
    Crèchewaif
    Trial By Fire
    Mastery
    Zenith
    Seduction
    Coming Conqueror
    Tempest
    Perdition

The Saga

Insurgency (ANH)
    Dynasty (ESB,ROTJ)

Beyond the Saga

(NJO Era)
    Discovery (VP)
    Last Stand (BP)
    Inferno (SbS, DW)
    Declaration (TUF)

(1 year post-NJO)
    Awakening
    Knight Ascendant
    Cataclysm
    Sacrifice

(19 - 21 years post-NJO)
    Cruel Honor
    Apostasy

Part 1.1 will be posted in a moment...

2. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    As with my previous stories, we begin with part 1.1. The next will be 1.2, and so on. My stories are divided by "parts" rather than chapters, each being a smaller story of its own.

Part 1.1:

TO STILL THE FATES

PART ONE : CRÈCHEWAIF

I am truly sorry, my dearest Galvin.
    Some secrets are best served by going to the grave with their keepers.

Whatever else besides, I want you to know this one thing...
    Only two men have ever looked upon me to see beyond cloak and blade.
    I have loved both of them.

As for the rest of the galaxy, I am uncertain whom I pity the most...
    For I was a scourge upon those that dared bring me into the universe,
    And an abomination to those that failed to destroy me when they had the chance.

Judging from the sticky layer of unrecognizable muck on the top of the table and the crusty substance that adhered to the side of her plate without resembling what she ordered, it was probably safe to assume that if breathing the smoke-filled air that reeked of cheap liquor didn't succeed in removing years from your life, the cuisine here likely would.

Letting out a disgusted sigh, Kainen pushed the plate aside and glanced around the dimly lit establishment with her pale green eyes. Despite bearing the charming name of its proprietor, Bortonspew's Cantina was a disconcertingly horrid place, packed with an assortment of people and creatures from all over the galaxy - some of which seemed to possess only the requisite amount of intelligence to signal the barkeep for another round.

The booth she was situated in at the back of the room put her close to the entrance of the Private Club in the rear of the building, whose doorway was illuminated by a single red light. Kainen's contact probably meant for her to meet him in the club, but no female of any species belonged beyond that doorway, Jedi or no.

The contact was late, and she was in no mood to sit there fending off more solicitations from beings she couldn't discern the species of, much less the gender. Pulling back a few stray locks of her light-gray hair, Kainen reached over and picked up her shot glass to take one final sip before starting to rise from her seat.

"They say you can tell a lot about a woman," hissed a bulky Abyssin as he slid into the booth across from her, "just by watching what she drinks." A broad grin crossed his dark face and the slit that functioned as a pupil for the single eye in the middle of his head adjusted to regard her carefully.

Though he thoroughly butchered the passphrase, he was obviously her contact.

"Take that one over there, for instance," he said slyly, leaning across the table and pointing out a tall, effeminate-looking creature across the room. "She's drinking a Cassandran Brandy."

Kainen raised an eyebrow at him. "So?"

"She's got expensive tastes," he replied. "She might be fun company for a while, but she'll bleed you dry if you keep her around more than a day or two." He then pointed to another woman, sitting idly among a few people in a corner. "Now that one is sensible. She's drinking some Tarisian Ale knockoff. Good taste, she has, but practical. She knows where her limits are. That's the kind of woman you want to birth your children."

"What about her?" Kainen asked, pointing to a rather unruly woman amidst a group of friends, knocking back shots of liquor in some sort of drinking game.

"Her?" the Abyssin chuckled. "She'll drink anything and knows how to party. That's the kind of woman you want to fall in love with."

She rolled her eyes and pointed to her own shot glass, filled with its clear fluid. "And what does my drink tell you about me?"

"Ah, yes," he said smirking. "The finest Corellian Whiskey. There's not too many women around willing to be so bold. Yes, you're quite a mystery, you are."

"Indeed?" she snorted derisively.

"Certainly," he retorted, producing a small phial of blue liquid from inside his coat. "Perhaps someone so

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh great start! Hahahahaha loved the Fine Corellian...water, LOL! Ah, Bortonspew, such a fine name. ;)

4. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Bortonspew is a fine name for such a reputable establishment ;) Many thanks to Luney's family for dreaming that name up!

Thanks for dropping in Luney.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Love the "...water" thing. Oh, man, still makes me laugh after like 10 times reading it.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a great beginning! I can see I will have to keep up to date on this one!

7. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh, wow. Great start! :D

I might be a bit slow on replies (I don't poke my head out of the Beyond board very often [face_blush]) but you've got me hooked!

8. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Ishy: Love the "...water" thing. Oh, man, still makes me laugh after like 10 times reading it.

Heh. You've read it more times than I have, then!

VaderLVR: What a great beginning! I can see I will have to keep up to date on this one!

Thanks! I promise I won't subject my readers to any 20,000 posts this time around. [face_whistling]

Scoundrel: Oh, wow. Great start!

Thank-ya!

I might be a bit slow on replies (I don't poke my head out of the Beyond board very often [face_blush] ) but you've got me hooked!

Slow replies are better than no replies. Of course, I can drop you a PM when I update ;)

I'd hate for you to miss anything :D

9. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    Of course, I can drop you a PM when I update

Hey, thanks! :D

I'd hate for you to miss anything

Me too!

10. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll do my best to keep up with this, too.

11. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Scoundrel: No problem ;)

TCR: Thanks for dropping in!

12. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Part 1.2:

"Master?" asked a silver-furred Bothan that cautiously slipped into the booth across from Kainen, providing her with the first realization that her Abyssin informant had actually left.

Her lack of anything resembling a response, or even a recognition of his existence, prompted him to speak again.

"Master da-Boda?"

"I did everything, Haest," she finally replied, sullenly. "Everything I was supposed to do... I did.

"I had no lover," Kainen continued, finally glancing up at Haest to reveal glimmering trails leading down her face from the pale green orbs of her eyes. "Only a donor."

Haest furrowed the silver fur on his brow to indicate his confusion. "I do not understand."

"When I was with child... I performed all the meditations and exercises. When she was born... I gave her up to the Crèche Masters without ever holding her in my arms. The only thing I gave her as a mother was a name."

"Zaree?" Haest asked. "What does this have to do with Zaree?"

"Did you know," she asked, "that the first time I introduced myself to her was when she was knighted?

"All that detachment," she murmured, again lowering her head, "and yet I could never stop worrying about her as she grew, or resist the urge to steal a glance at her records, or keep from feeling a twinge of pride when I watched her humble some of our Order's best saber-masters."

"To be expected," Haest sighed, apparently willing to humor her reverie for the moment. "Humans seem to be biologically predisposed to developing an emotional affinity for their offspring... especially the females."

"When I saw her body laying there," she whimpered, "the only thing I could think about was how much I would have given up to just be able to go back and live one day as her mother instead of just a... genetic contribution."

Haest reached a soft hand across the table to grasp Kainen's. "Without her sacrifice, we would not have been able to flee Coruscant. She fell willingly to ensure that some of us made it to Corellia."

He sighed heavily and arched his brow. "I do not understand where this sudden upwelling of emotion is coming from, Master. This is most unusual for you."

"Zaree is alive," Kainen cried weakly. "Do you understand me, Haest? My daughter is alive and we abandoned her to the Sith."

"Ah," replied the ever-unflappable Bothan in his most calming voice. "I should advise you that a rescue attempt would be unwise in the extreme."

Kainen lifted her head once more and narrowed her eyes at him. "Wisdom be damned."

"Excellent," he replied. "When do we leave?"

Short post, I know.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Interesting...

14. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    "When I saw her body laying there," she whimpered, "the only thing I could think about was how much I would have given up to just be able to go back and live one day as her mother instead of just a... genetic contribution."

Ouch. :( That is so sad. :_|

"Zaree is alive," Kainen cried weakly. "Do you understand me, Haest? My daughter is alive and we abandoned her to the Sith."

:eek:

"I should advise you that a rescue attempt would be unwise in the extreme."

Kainen lifted her head once more and narrowed her eyes at him. "Wisdom be damned."

"Excellent," he replied. "When do we leave?"

:D Cool! I'm really liking these characters so far. :)

Looking forward to more! :D

15. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Ishy: Interesting...

Your reply is almost as long as my post! :D

Scoundrel: Ouch. :( That is so sad. :_|

Indeed. It's seems like a perfectly normal Jedi parenthood... but it seems to inhuman.

:D Cool! I'm really liking these characters so far. :)

Great! Considering they're going to be around for a bit... that's a good thing.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Lol. I didn't want to go "interesting...I thought...blahblahblah..." I'm very horrible when I ramble.

17. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Very emotional piece here :( Stupid Jedi forbidding love and family...*goes off muttering to self*

18. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Ishy: Understood!

Luney: Very emotional piece here :( Stupid Jedi forbidding love and family...*goes off muttering to self*

I know :p

19. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    While I'm thinking about it... here's the concept cover for the series:

[image=http://www.alcoris.com/tfn-images/tstf/tstf-cover.jpg]

It's distorted here, but click on it at it'll show up properly.

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great cover art and a wonderful update!

21. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Thanks, VL!

Hopefully once the awards stuff winds down, I can get a more substantive post up.

22. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Holy moly! An update!

Part 1.3:

"This had better be good," Serel groaned, squinting his eyes as he entered into the bright lights of the computer laboratory. "Even the Grath-forsaken sun has more sense than to be up at this kriffing hour."

"Watch your language in front of the child," a deep voice grunted from somewhere across the lab.

"It's oh-three-hundred," Serel snorted, peering with only one eye open at the infernally chipper mix of happy brown eyes and bright blonde hair that belonged to the wretched 'child' in question - no doubt with a smile stretched across her face had he been willing to make the effort of focusing his vision upon her. "The only thing I feel like watching is the insides of my kriffing eyelids.

"Humans," the deep voice muttered.

"So what's all the fuss?" Serel asked, trying to pry his eyes open wide enough to focus on the dark-skinned Zabrak across the small laboratory.

"I found something in the surveillance holo," a girlish voice exclaimed in a tone that would have sounded much too happy even at a decent hour. "Master Jeresh thought you should see it."

"You found something?" Serel inquired, turning his full attention to the mess of blonde hair.

"You don't have to sound so shocked," the girl muttered with a glare, pulling a tiny braid from out of her face and tucking it behind her ear.

"I'm sorry, Lamièl," he replied, kneeling next to the cargo crate she was using for a seat. "I didn't mean for it to sound that way."

A single eyebrow raised up at him by way of response. "Then how was it supposed to sound?"

"I meant... ah..." he stammered. "It is a surprise, but in a good way. Ugh. This isn't coming out right."

"No, it isn't."

"When I was your age..."

"Oh, Force," she interrupted, glowering at him. "Do you want me to kill you now, or wait until you're asleep?"

"Give me a chance here, will ya?" Serel exclaimed.

"I'm nearly fourteen years old," Lamièl reminded him.

"Exactly," he noted, drawing her ire since her age obviously didn't sound as old to his ears as it did to her own. "You're still a kid."

"How many kids can build their own lightsaber?"

"Lamièl," her Master hissed from across the room, forcing them to both wince before the room plunged into a tense, deafening silence. "That word," he continued after a few moments, "is not allowed here."

"Do be careful," Serel sighed heavily. "On Coruscant..."

"Walls can have ears," she completed in a sorrowful whisper. "I know. It was an accident."

"If you wish to be respected as an adult," Jeresh chastised softly as he crossed the laboratory to their sides, "then you will need a better excuse than 'it was an accident'."

Lamièl bit her lip for a moment before sucking in a deep breath and locking her brown eyes with his. "I'm sorry, Serel," she said deliberately. "You've been so kind to help us and give us a place to sleep... I was careless with my words, and I may have put you and your family in grave danger. It won't happen again... I promise."

Fighting the nervous worry that was trying to crawl up into his throat, Serel simply smiled to acknowledge his acceptance of her apology.

"Perhaps you should show Serel what you've found," Jeresh suggested. "His wife will worry if he doesn't return to bed soon."

"Right," she agreed, turning to the computer console and breaking the tension. "I was watching through some of the surveillance holos that your modified droids have been taking of... well... this place." Punching a few buttons, a small hologram appeared at the console, depicting numerous people and droids walking about the base of what had once been the central spire of the Jedi Temple.

"Okay," Serel said with a nod, standing to his feet and leaning over the console to get a better look. "We've looked over this before. I still think that sewage grating is the only way to get inside."

Lamièl nodded in agreement. "I noticed that, too. We just n

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Bout time you posted, Newbiewanmine! ;)

Love this post...nice teen\adult interaction, and the ending was perfect. :)

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    yes, well-done with Lamiel, glad you adapted the dialogue so it flowed better.

25. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Luney: Bout time you posted, Newbiewanmine!

Yeah, well... DRL has been a real pain in the rump lately.

Love this post...nice teen\adult interaction, and the ending was perfect.

Thanks!

Ishy: well-done with Lamiel, glad you adapted the dialogue so it flowed better.

Glad you liked it. It was difficult, not just for the teen dialogue, but also because there's a lot of information presented in their short discourse.

And thanks for helping with Serel's and Jeresh's names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.