main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

$4.99 or $5.99? SW figures on Target

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PhantomMenace, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I've seen many indications that Target has been selling Saga figures for $5.99 for the past several months. However, my store here in town (the only one I've been to in the last eight months) still has them at $4.99. At one time, the figures were scanning at $5.99, but the price tag on the pegs remained at $4.99. After about a week, the price was back at $4.99 when the figures were scanned. Is this just my local Target or is anyone else having the same luck as of yet?

Thank you.

2. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't have a Target at my town but they are selling them in a town close to mine at $4.99.

3. Silent_H

Silent_H Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2003
    $4.99 here in Vegas.

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    4.99 last time i bought one in Kansas City.

5. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    Thanks, guys. I guess we can all expect this to change once the OTC hits the shelves. :( Man... $5.99 per figure is going to take a toll on my wallet.

6. Darth_Malt

Jan 21, 2003
    I remember paying $7 the saga figures back in 2002. Whew....the money went away fast.

7. VadersApprentice

VadersApprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2004
    4.99 here in West Palm

8. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    not sure 'cos they haven't had any new figures lately.

who else has their local retailers stocking the darn ANH & ESB(hoth) figures that most of us bought months ago. I see this as bein' a bad move on their part. Kids aren't in to it right now, it's mostly just us collectors buying them right now. Will these figures delay us getting the OT figures?

9. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    "Will these figures delay us getting the OT figures?"

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if retailers plan to put their Saga figures on clearance before recieving the OTC or if they're going to sell them with the new stuff. Seeing both Saga and OTC figures on the same pegs wouldn't look very good. But as it stands, Target and Wal*Mart have so many HOF and other repackaged figures that I can't see them selling all of them before the OTC. At least not at the current price.

10. VadersApprentice

VadersApprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2004
    I havn't seen any ANH but I have seen HOTH like crazy, I have most of em and theres nothing to buy, theres still a few yoda AOTC ones lingering but its almost all ESB and a couple Ultra figs like Ewok and Dooku

11. DrunkenJawas

DrunkenJawas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2003
    I know this dosnt help, but theyre 8.99 up here in Canada.... EH!

12. Darth_Malt

Jan 21, 2003
    WHEW!! ^^^^

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    They used to 5.99 when AOTC was popular,but now they are 4.99. I expect them to go back up when Episode III comes out

14. Fleeboy

Fleeboy Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2001
    Since we're talking about figure prices, how much do normal figures go for retail over there in the U.S. when they're first released?

Are those prices ($4.99 and $5.99) just marked down cuz those particular figs have become pegwarmers?

15. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    No, not really, Fleeboy. When the POTF2 was out, figures were $4.76 at Target and WalMart stores, and $4.99 at both TRU and Service Merchandise. K*B Toys was always the expensive place to get them, since they had them up for $6.99 (I guess not much has changed). Now, when POTF2 started sporting the Flashback Photos, they were repriced to $5.99 at most retailers, but never less than $5.99. This price remained standard until the Saga line. When it was first released, the Saga line carried the $5.99 price, but by late May, competition from WalMart pushed most stores to carry their figures in the $4.99 price range. Since that time, Target has put their figures on sale at $2.50, and then later even cheaper when they tried to clear the '02 stuff. K*B Toys has also had their older basic figures for $2.99 for the longest time, and at one point they even went for $1.99. Unfortunately, such sales have yet to render successful at my K*B Toys store. From what we've heard, Target will raise the price of basic figures back to $5.99 with the OTC. I imagine this price to become standard once again, at least at Target.

16. Fleeboy

May 6, 2001
    PhantomMenace! Wow, you seem to have a brain for figures. =) Thanks a bundle for all that information.

$4.99 and $5.99 are very competitive prices if you ask me. Where I come from figures sell for atleast $8 and at most $11 (prices converted to dollars) at retail (depending on the store). I think our problem here is that we have VERY few toy shops that cater to Star Wars collectors, so the ones that exist feel they can monopolize the market. Some of my collector friends say that if you consider shipping and handling of our items here from the U.S., then it'll probably amount to the price we pay. But I always thought that was baloney cuz our country is a hop and a skip away from the Hasbro factory in China, so I always assumed that the stores were capable of getting their stock from there. Unless the Hasbro factory in China is only allowed to send their stuff to the main Hasbro outlets? like in the U.S. or U.K.?

17. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    Glad I could be of service.

"Unless the Hasbro factory in China is only allowed to send their stuff to the main Hasbro outlets? like in the U.S. or U.K.?"

Apparently Asia recieves new figures before they are available in the US and Europe. Most of the latest figures sold on eBay are early releases acquired from Asia. And as you noted, it is because Asia is closest to the place where these beloved figures are assembled that surrounding areas are the first to recieve them.

All in all, distribution in the US seems to be hit and miss thus far into the year. Either you'll find an entire wave in tact, or you'll pretty much find nothing at all. I've seen every wave at least once accept for the Endor wave, and I can thank the Hall of Fame assortment for that one. I've seen indications that stores will be ordering mass quantities of the OTC figures, as to keep the pegs stocked at all times. Hopefully this will ring true once the line hits the shelves.

:)

18. Fleeboy

May 6, 2001
    Apparently Asia recieves new figures before they are available in the US and Europe.

Bah! Sure we get our figs before you guys but I'd rather get them later and at a more decent price.

19. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    PM What figures does your KB have for $2.99?

20. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    I haven't gone in there in about three weeks, but they had Ki-Adi Mundi, Orn Free Taa, Teemto Pagalies, Chancellor Palpatine (with zits), Zam Wessel, and Endor Raid Han Solo (white and silver belt variations), as I remember. Then they had like twenty of those value 4-packs with various figures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.