main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends 4 Days in Summer - (Myn Donos, Kirney Slane; EU) --> FINAL PART POSTED 06/22/2003

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by -thor-, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Title: 4 Days in Summer
    Author(s): -thor- (with thanks to _Rogue_Fire_ and rogue11lovesjag)
    Timeframe: EU
    Time: shortly after "X-Wing : Isards Revenge"
    Spoilers: minor for "X-Wing : Isard´s Revenge" and the Wraith Squadron novels
    Major Characters: Myn Donos, Kirney Slane
    Minor Characters: Wes Janson
    Summary:This story was born out of pure boredom - nothing to do and playing PC games wasn´t appealing at that time. Then I read a scene in "Of Rogues and Remnants" and the plot bunnies ran over me - I had no chance but to start writing. So the special thanks for the inspiration goes to rogue11lovesjag. Another fat thank you goes to _Rogue_Fire_ for the honest and upfront comments which helped improving it. And before you ask - no, this story doesn´t have anything to do with the other "series" I´m writing. It´s just a filler for the gap until the next story is ready for posting.

Disclaimer:

I do not own any of the characters or the events of the Star Wars World. Star Wars belongs to George Lucas and the characters to those who created them. I´m merely borrowing them.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DAY ONE

Finally all that handshaking and shoulder-clapping was over and he could get away from all those people. It wasn´t that he disliked company and although he usually prefered to remain in the background he wasn´t the same kind of loner he´d been a year ago. But today he couldn´t get away from the reception fast enough. Something had begun to stirr deep inside him, made him restless and thoughtful. For two weeks he´d been thinking much - way more than usual.

For most of these two weeks in their involuntary quarantine aboard the SSD Lusankya the Rogues had been trying to support Gavin Darklighter as much as they could. Asyr - the Bothan woman he´d loved - had died in a recent space combat and the young man showed severe signs of a broken will. Myn had kept himself in the background - as usual - but not because he wasn´t sympathetic to Gavin´s situation. He´d been through the same twice and could reate to the younger man´s situation. Yet he stayed in the background since Gavin´s grief reminded him of his own unsolved problem ? Kirney Slane. She´d been the Imperial agent to betray his first squadron, but then ? after joining the Wraiths ? she had had a change of heart. And to make the chaos complete the two of them had fallen in love with each other, but after Face had found out about her real identity she´d fled the Wraiths. After secretly working against Zsinj she´d faked her death and went to Corellia. Everything would be fine, but then she´d sent a message to him ? offering him a chance to be together.

Finding out that the woman he´d begun to love was the murderer of his friends had been a traumatic experience for Myn, but realizing that he still felt something for her was ... He couldn´t form it into words and he silently wondered why he was still sane.

Is that so? he asked himself. Am I really sane?

The questions he was asking himself weren´t born out of insecurity about his status, but more out of disgust for himself. They weren´t spoken in the gentle but hesitant way of someone asking for someone else´s opinion - the words were spat out with anger and disgust as the driving force behind them.

Two years, he thought. It´s been two years and I´m still here shifting from foot to foot like a fresh recruit in the face of an angry instructor. Why? What does it take to make me go through this?

He took a deep breath and exhaled the air in a long sad sigh. What should he do? What could he do? What kept him from doing something about it? Where did that idiotic fear come from?

Face it Donos ? you were and always will remain a looser. You´re just not worth it. You´re too scared to do something and so you´ll remain alone for the rest of your pitiful life.

He wasn´t particularly masochis

2. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    thor more thor more thor more, hey it rhymes. I've never really been the biggest fan of Myn but I love the way you let us into his head. He seems much more a real person with his thoughts exposed. Keep it up I want more!
    ~Rosy

3. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    thor,

What can I say man... you have Myn's character nailed down. Great insight... can't wait for more.

-b-

4. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Thanks for the kind replies so far :) ... Since I want to have it finished this weekend I´ll post twice today - now and tonight (Saturday Central European Time).

DAY TWO

The officer´s mess in the Sivantlie Base where Rogue Squadron was stationed while being on Coruscant was sparesly populated this morning. Most of the Rogues were away on a long awaited and much deserved leave of absence or were staying in their private quarters with or without the respective partners.

Myn was thankful for the solitude as the outer signs of his restlessness were pretty obvious. Dark rings framed his eyes, his posture was stooped and the corners of his mouth were hanging downwards. Most people in the mess shot him a short irritated or compassionate glance, but he wasn´t even aware of their presence as he was munching his breakfast. He´d been up early after dreaming about her for the umpteenth time. The dream had been enough to make him record one of those countless messages - telling her to wait, promising to ask for a leave and wanting to see her again. But in the end this one had joined the hundreds in the secret folder on one of his datapads. He hadn´t had the courage to send it ? just as before.

All of his energy was gone, he felt like a walking dead and he could practically feel the indecision eating him up from the inside. Everything in him yearned for a sign, a hint, a small tip what he could do. But the more he dwelled on it the deeper his frustration and resignation became.

"Good morning, Myn," a cheerful voice tore him out of his reverie.

He slowly lifted his gaze and looked into the youthful features of newly promoted Major Wes Janson. He gave him a powerless nod and returned to his breakfast.

Donos´s state hadn´t escaped Wes´s attention and he sat down on the opposite side of the table. He eyed his friend closely, noting the dark rings below the eyes and realizing that Myn somehow looked ... broken.

"Are you ok?" he asked with genuine concern in his voice.

Myn looked up for a second and shook his head. "Not really, but I just didn´t sleep well tonight."

Wes raised an eyebrow, but chose to remain silent. Corran had told him that Donos was brooding most of the time in the quarantine and that he had retreated just as during the first few weeks after his transfer over to the Rogues. As Wes had been the one to train Donos he felt responsible for the Corellian and ? unbeknown to Myn ? had decided to have an eye on him. And what he saw now didn´t look too good.

The rest of the meal was accompanied by silence ? Myn didn´t feel the need to talk and Wes was occupied studying his friend. Finally ? when both plates were empty ? he grabbed Donos´s and rose from his chair. "Follow me."

Myn argued with himself wether or not he should try to get rid of Janson ? who had a most irritating way for worming into someone´s thoughts ? but finally decided not to object as he didn´t think he was in the condition to win.

A few minutes later the two men entered Janson´s quarters. Wes closed the door and activated the lock while Myn leaned back against one of the lockers. Wes sat down on his bed and leaned back against the wall.

"Do you want to sit down?"

"What do you want from me, Wes?" Myn asked somberly.

Janson threw him a long stare. "I want you to talk. Your body language is practically screaming at me that you need someone to listen. So ? I´m here."

Myn´s return-stare was dismissive. "It´s nothing," he muttered.

Wes was up in a second. "No ? it´s not nothing, Myn! Everyone who´s looking at you sees that you´re troubled by something. Don´t delude yourself, buddy."

Myn shook his head and turned to leave. "I´m sorry, Wes. I can´t."

Wes reached the door before him and put himself in Donos´s way. "I could order you to talk to me," he said gently.

Myn didn´t look at him. "I can´t, Wes," he said softly choking down a sob. "I can´t."

Wes led him over to the chair and pushed hi

5. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    I usually hate giving myself an up, but ... well ... *shrugs*

^
    |
    |

6. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    dude! quit leaving me hangin!!! so not cool...

what exactly is wes up to? and why do i have the a sinking feeling that a half-rigged repulsor-sled and a stuffed ewok may be involved?

-b-

7. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Hmmm .. since Ewok(s) are taking a major role in another story of mine I left him (them? ;) ) out this time. The next post should be up in an hour or so ...

8. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Here is part III ... I hope someone enjoys that ...

It was mid-afternoon in Coronet City as Myn wandered through the streets of his hometown. He´d left it years ago and he had a hard time recognizing it. Too much time had passed by and too many other things had happened - somehow life had faded the memories of his childhood. But there seemed to be more military or security forces patrolling through the streets and he thought he felt a different climate around here ? a climate of fear.

Yesterday in the evening Wes had visited him again. He´d put a small envelope on the table and then looked at him.

"You applied for a leave?"

"Yes."

"You have packed your things?"

"Yes."

"Good," Wes stated satisfied. "Your transport leaves at 0500 tomorrow. Here are your documents. Learn the details of your identity."

Myn didn´t react. In fact he was evading Janson´s gaze and studied the floor. He´d been in a kind of trance for most of the day ? long enough to actually send the application to Wedge, but a few hours ago his fears had made a return. He was getting more and more worried about the whole affair.

"Feel more, think less," Wes repeated. "You want this, Myn. You have to do this."

Myn merely nodded ? unconvinced. Wes sighed, clapped the Corellian on the shoulder and left the room.

And now Myn was actually on Corellia. He´d used the morning to make a short discovery trip to his past, but had stayed away from all areas where he might be recognized. He was dressed in an unconspicious cloak that protected him from the rain and prying eyes - yet he chose to remain careful. He´d been thinking about what he could say once ? if ? he saw her again. He was by no means convinced that she was still there, but either way he might be able to find peace again. He wasn´t good with words, he wasn´t that eloquent. A tiny smile crept on his lips when he remembered his crude and bold move when asking her out for the first time. All that seemed to have happened in a different life ... so long ago.

The little shopping mile he´d entered was nothing special, but he took his time studying the goods presented in the windows. He told himself that it would do him no good to run straight for the address ? written on a flimpast that he hadn´t looked at the whole time ? but deep inside he knew he was just stalling things. He was by no means convinced his being here was right and maybe he should just forget about it. After all this time ... he might be just deluding himself and she didn´t feel anything for him after all.

Suddenly all this wallowing in self-pity was over ? he was standing in front of a small office, a large writing over the carefully decorated window.

?Slane Transports ? Small Cargo and Passenger transports?

Myn felt his heart constrict in his chest and his breath was stuck in his throat. Here he was ... and he was as frightened as he´d feared. Where he found the willpower to reach for the door panel and push the button to open it was beyond him in his current state.

Tonin was working on a few bills that would be filed later as the customer had payed when the door swung open and a dark figure dressed in a cloak entered the shop. The sound of the rain outside stopped as the door swished shut again. A small puddle formed near the feet of the person as water dropped off his cloak. Tonin swivelled his optical sensor towards the stranger, withdrew his computer connector and rolled forward to issue the usual greeting. A holo of Kirney ? about three quarters of her real size ? appeared. Myn´s heart now seemed to beat in his throat.

?Welcome to Slane Transports,? the holographic Kirney said smiling. ?Please wait a moment. I´ll be right with you.?

Suddenly Myn´s heart crashed down into his stomach as he heard her in person, yelling from the back of the building.

"One moment please. It will take just a minute!"

He took a deep breath and had to fight the urge to go, to open the

9. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    *sad sigh*

Ok ok - I get it. This just does not interest you :( ... I´ll post the last part tonight and then the story can go down through the pages and be forgotten. Learned a lection ...

10. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    oh boy was kirney mad at him!! and happy at him... and well just generally confused for about two seconds i think... the mugs crashing and the slap was very in character i think... thanks for the insight to her character yet again.

i'm actually really surprised this hasn't gotten more response, man. i thought there was a pretty big myn/lar/kirney following here. so i guess i'll just have to *ahem* spam *cough, cough* for you... ;)

BTW thor... let a guy get off work and read the post before you write off your work, eh? this was the first page i hit when i got home so :p

nice work as usual.... can't wait to see how you wrap it up... very hip quick little read man.

-b-

11. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Well the problem might be the time difference to the US (Germany here). Additionally I don´t have to work on saturdays so this just escaped my attention (work on saturday? *shudder*).

And yes - you may SPAM ;)

12. hawkbatcanuck

hawkbatcanuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    thor, thor, thor...yes, the time difference IS a problem! I work Saturdays, so usually don't get a chance to check for posts until Sunday. But here I am now, and have caught up with your new story.

I'm enjoying it. I loved the interaction with Wes, Myn's mentor back when the problem began with Lara, and now, helping Myn with Kirney. The "feel more, think less" comment is so typically Wes-like. He may joke around and goof off a lot, but he knows when to take something seriously, and act. In less than 24 hours, he got Myn set up with not only leave, but good fake id for Corellia. I'd say Myn owes him big time. In fact, if he and Kirney get together, and someday have a kid, Myn and Kirney better name it after Wes...after all, I don't think Myn would have gone to Corellia, if Wes hadn't ordered him to!

I'm glad to see Kirney didn't let her pride get in the way of stopping Myn from leaving. I'm sure the past two years have been very lonely for her. Matter of fact, Myn's lucky that she didn't finally accept that he wasn't coming back, and take up with some other guy to fill the void. Two years is a long time, not to give up hope totally, and move on.

I'll look forward to the fourth post. And remember, we Canadians are sleeping, when you are writing/posting, so let us catch up!

13. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    It might sound like "pre-arranged" or "wishful-thinking" that Kirney is still waiting for a sign from Myn, but - after all - it was her who sent the message after coming to Corellia. I mean she could have lived her life in relative peace and might even find someone else to care for - no NR trouble would ever come her way again. But no, she did send a message offering (asking for?) Myn a second chance (and so risking her cover). So he must mean more than a little to her - at least according to my logic (which is usually flawed and fuzzy, according to my friends :p). Maybe even enough to hope for two years ...

14. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    This is the final part ... Enjoy.

DAY FOUR

The evening brought one of those sundowns Coronet City was famous for. The sky was painted in myriads of red and pink colours ? it was like taken from a holonet advertizement of some travel agency.

The two of them were now sitting on the couch in Kirney´s living room and studied the display of nature´s beauty through the huge window. For Myn the day had been a blur ? beginning with a lighthearted breakfast over a visit in one of Coronet´s water fun parks ? hell, he hadn´t been there for nearly a decade ? and now just sitting here and watching the sun set. He´d felt better than in a long long time ? no depression, no fears gnawing on his soul, no wallowing in self-pity ... a real refreshment after so many months of indecision.

Kirney´s reaction to his being here was even more stunning. Throughout the day she´d smiled a lot and had laughed heartily whenever she had the chance to ? something he didn´t remember her doing much while with the Wraiths ? but he still couldn´t really believe this was just because of him. But the mere thought warmed his soul ... reat feeling decided.

"Admit it ? you liked the bathing suit I wore," Kirney´s voice interrupted the comfortable silence.

He looked down at her and saw her smirking. He rolled his eyes in exasperation, but finally gave in to his own smile. "Yes, I did," he admitted and blushed slightly at the mental picture of her in that particular clothing ? tiny was already an exaggeration.

Kirney giggled. "Good," she quipped. "I wanted to make you sweat a bit."

"You know," Myn began raising a sceptical eyebrow, "the swimming pool of the ?Water Fun Park? might be the wrong location to get me sweating."

"You know what I mean," she groaned in response.

Myn chuckled. "Yes, I do." Then he leaned closer and whispered into her ear: "And it worked."

Now it was Kirney´s turn to blush and she hastily changed topics. "Do you think Kolot will get over it?"

Myn took a deep breath before answering. "I think I´m the wrong person to judge that. I mean I have known him for what ? 5 minutes? But I think he will. I´m just glad that Janson doesn´t know about this ? I´d never hear the end of it if he knew that an Ewok threatened to kill me."

"You know he didn´t really mean it," Kirney tried to excuse fearing a negative reaction from Myn´s side.

"Oh yes, he did," was his firm answer. "He ment what he said, but I don´t blame him. He doesn´t know me and the stuff you told me wasn´t that pretty. Give him time to adjust ? he´s learned not to trust humans."

She sighed. "I know. It´s just hard not to pity him - he doesn´t want that."

Attempting to lighten the mood Myn grinned at her. "You always had a strange taste for making friends."

She arched one of her perfectly shaped eyebrows. "If I were in your place I´d be very quiet there."

Myn chuckled. "Point for you. I never seem to best you in that respect."

"Get used to it," Kirney retorted smiling.

Myn´s return smile didn´t waver and he looked straight into her eyes. "And how do you think we can pull this off?"

Confusion was her reaction. "What do you mean?"

Myn sighed. "Kirney - we need to talk about the future. I´m not sure what you expect, but you know there are a lot of problems lying in our way. You can´t come to Coruscant for obvious reasons and I can´t come here, either. At least not for a longer time and under my own name."

"What?" Kirney breathed and shot him a wide-eyed stare. "What is that supposed to mean?" She didn´t like the direction this little chat was taking - not a single bit.

Myn swallowed. "The day I joined the New Republic I became a traitor in the eyes of the Diktat. If I´m caught here, I´m as good as dead."

"So here we are," Kirney began, her good mood gone. "Two people on different planets and neither can visit the other without having to disguise and hide."

Myn nodded.

"It´s not fair," Kirney sniffed.

"Don´t tel

15. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Just an up ...

16. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! They have always been perfect together, haven't they? From Lara/Kirney's first rejection of Myn's advances to Myn finally getting the stones to ask her to dance. They've always been so real.

Thanks for keeping them real for me thor. I really appreciate all your works...

-b-

17. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Euro-evening-up

18. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    *US morning up*

Just in case there is anyone interested ...

19. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    :D

very sweet, darling.

i love your myn/kirney fics!

-JSD

20. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Huh ... ???

*rubs eyes in disbelief*

A new reader? Woah .... ;)

21. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Lovely Posts I love Wes janson. I assume they eventually get together and live on Correlia, yay. One question though, how old is donos commpared to wedge?

22. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    I think Wedge is a little older - maybe by 3 or 4 years.

23. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Heya, thor, I finally got around to reading one of your fics, and I am very glad I did!! :D I will go and read your other ones when I get the time.

Oh, and this one was very good. I enjoyed it very much. :)

24. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    *bows*

Of my other fics "The secrets of still waters" and "Fait Accompli" are part of a series - I never planned that but it ended up this way and part 3 of that one is pretty much completed (waving at co-author Rebadams7 :)). A fourth part is already in planning, too ...

This one here was - as said in the disclaimer - more a "cure for a massive plot bunny attack" ;) ...

25. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    *mouth falls open*

*realizes Of Rogues and Remnants was inspiration*

*faints*

To read such a excellent story and see that is a wonderful compliment. I really liked the part where she smacked him. *grins*

Brillant work!

~Rogue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.