main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST 40th anniversary Easter eggs

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Yodateachings96, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Yodateachings96

Yodateachings96 Jedi Knight

Oct 24, 2015
    Today I went to see Star Trek Beyond and it had a lot of Easter eggs for the franchise's 50th anniversary. I remember in 2012 when Skyfall came out and it was the 50th anniversary of Bond movies, it also hat a lot of Easter eggs. Would you like to see something similar happen in Episode VIII next year as well with Star Wars's 40th anniversary. I think it would be nice, but I can't imagine what kind of things we could get.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Honestly, I think the rumored Binary Sunset scene is a good enough connection to A New Hope. But The Force Awakens had a lot of callbacks, references, allusions, etc., and that worked just fine for that film since it was a sequel 32-years in the making, a nostalgic return to tone, style, look, and feel of "old school" Star Wars, and a semi-reboot/fresh start for the series under Disney's stewardship. Even then there were complains about originality and derivativeness and so on. If they went overboard with that kind of thing in VIII instead of buckling down on it being a fresh and new experience, some "weird thing," an indie film with a blockbuster budget, something deeper and more personal and challenging, all the things they've been saying it will be, I think there would be a backlash. I mean, obviously it needs to look and feel like and be a Star Wars film, but the time to look to the past has, well... passed.

3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    They should re-release A New Hope in May 2017 in theaters to celebrate 40th anniversary.

4. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    The original A New Hope.

5. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh?

Personally I'd prefer they go the Skyfall route. Just make a really good movie. I don't think SW is like Trek. The live action universe is, what, about 800 hours in total? That's a lot of content to draw winks and nods to. But with SW you'd pretty much have ti mine Episode 4 for nostalgia, and as you say, they pretty much did that with TFA.

6. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Yeah the only way I'd get excited about the 40th anniversary is if they truly honor it with the original cut being released. Pay Fox what it takes for dat to happen!

PymParticles likes this.
  7. Yodateachings96

Yodateachings96 Jedi Knight

Oct 24, 2015
    I also expect that the entire unaltered original trilogy will be finally officially released in a restorated form in HD. I hope that they'll release it on both Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray. With all the rumours going on about them, the 40th anniversary should be the perfect opportunity

DL44Jo, B99 and PymParticles like this.
  8. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I liked the SE's also.

B99 likes this.
  9. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    I personally think they over did the easter eggs in TFA, easter eggs should remain hidden and not in your face, like throwing Phasma down a 'trash compactor" or when Finn accidentally turned on the Dejarik board game. In your face easter eggs are more of a distraction than anything else. Now references to PT and ST are all fine and should be used more especially with different aliens going forward.

B99 likes this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    After TFA I don't want any references/easter eggs to any of the 6 films..

cerealbox likes this.
  11. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    One or two Prequel references would be welcomed by me but personally I don't want more from OT after TFA. I've seen pictures of the place they were filming and it looks like Naboo.

B99 likes this.
  12. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Yes, this! Re-releasing the original A New Hope in theaters for the 40th anniversary! Please!

And starting on May 25th!

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I wouldn't mind a prequel reference as long as it isn't forced as I feel some were in TFA!

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Compared to the PT, the easter eggs/ direct references to the OT in TFA were pretty minimal.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Yes it should have audio in Mono.

The White light sabers. And none of the THX or SE added CGI and cleanup. All the old aliens, Han shooting first, No Jabba, No Bobba. English text on the Deathstar, old-style explosion of DS.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Why are references to the OT not OK, but references to the PT are?

17. Dominus Libertas

Apr 23, 2016
    I said references in general are ok to both trilogies, but in you face easter eggs, like the Dejarik game are more of a distraction than anything else.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Over and done with in a second. Having Chewbacca be Yoda's friend and confidant in ROTS better fits the definition of "in your face." ;)

DarthCricketer likes this.
  19. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Perhaps in one of the city worlds they could have a model of Mann's Chinese theatre with a crowd lining up to go in.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree. I don't even consider something to be a supposed easter egg when it is that obvious. And I don't think the overt OT references in TFA were meant to be either.

Artoo and 3PO on the hieroglyphs in Indiana Jones, now that is an easter egg.

21. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Yeah, so um Star Wars. When they put that New Hope thing title thing on it a few years later,did anyone ever call it that?

22. Dominus Libertas

Apr 23, 2016
    Exactly!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.