main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

49, 99, etc

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ariana Lang, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I have noticed an interesting phenomenon. Posts 49, 99, and so on and so forth do not show up about half the time. Many times if you are reading posts, for example, 1-50, it will simply show you 1-48 and then skip to 50 on the next page. This is generally not noticable unless you're the one that posted on one of these unfortunate numbers and realize when you go back to see your post that you can't. :p

Has anyone else noticed this? As a person with very bad luck on the 49/99/149 scale, I see this happen almost every time.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I've noticed this as well, but mainly in threads that have had posts deleted. It's a page splice problem if I'm not mistaken.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    This often happens when you click a link to a specific post, or when you click a link to view your reply to a thread.

When you view a specific post (http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=XXXXX&start=XXXXX), it automatically includes the first post from the thread to the top of the page. This knocks down all the other posts one slot. Since your settings have it set to 50 posts per page, it shows the first post, and then the next 49 replies (the reply number depends on what page you are on - if the post is on the first page, every post will display. if the post is on any other page, the last post that belongs on that page won't be displayed), not displaying the final post that should appear on that thread. When you view the thread by page number (http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=XXXXX&page=XXX), it doesn't automatically display the first post on the top of every page. Therefore, it can show all 50 replies that belong on that page.

I hope that made sense.

4. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    ^ what he said.

5. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    yup, guess the numbering would get jumbled up when posts are deleted.

6. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
  7. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well, 99 is an auspicious number, just ask nee Whin

8. FIVE-GIMER_RINGS

FIVE-GIMER_RINGS Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2002
    What I see many times, is that when I go to my recent posts and bring up one of them, the page it sends me to will start with the first post of the THREAD which replaces the first post of the page.

I think that is what you are seeing.

It's just a coding bug somewhere.
    I've learned to live with it.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I noticed that problem too. If you want to 'fix' it, replace the &start=345436554 with &page=5 or whatever numbers you're working with. :)

10. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    It pains, my precious, when the nasty pagesess don't load all the way, precious. Ach, gollum!

;)

I normally just reload the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.