main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA 4th of July barbeque

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by SiaLanWezz, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    Come join the San Francisco Fan Force in Hayward / East Bay for 4th of July Barbeque.
    For more info: check the SFFF post about the subject

We would like to see you.

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I think I'll be going to this for at least a few hours, but then leaving from Eva's to meet my family in SF for dinner and fireworks.

Any other Rogues attending?

3. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    No I'm not, I don't like to drive too far on an actual holiday. But the Marin County fair is looking better and better to me. Lucas Arts and 501st in attendance that same weekend. Anyone thinking about going?

4. MASTER_JEDI_RN

MASTER_JEDI_RN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I would love to go to this, but I'll be with my family in Lake Tahoe for the holiday. Can you say "Loading up on some kick ass non-Californian fireworks"?

I might not be on the boards for a few days, so everybody have an awesome 4th of July.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!! [face_flag] =D=

MJ

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll be at the Marin faire on Sunday with the 501st. But I'm also going to the barbecue. I have to cook the ribs after all.

6. MASTER_JEDI_RN

Apr 6, 2005

Harlock-
    Check out this recipe for ribs! It is from Alton Brown (the best Chef) of the TV show "Good Eats".

I tried the "dry rub", and its awesome!

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs [face_pig]
    Dry Rub:
    8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
    1 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
    In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs [face_pig] on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

MJ

7. MASTER_JEDI_RN

Apr 6, 2005
    damn, now I want some ribs. [face_pig]

MJ

8. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I'll be seeing you Monday Harlock!!!
    Save some ribs for me!!

Edit-see below: Can I get massaged too? I could use one after this crazy week. ;)

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I love using the dry rub.

But what I do is take the membrane off of the back portion of the ribs so it can tear off the bone easier leter. Rub plain yellow mustard onto the meat then massage in the dry rub. The yellow mustard actually helps in the flavor and spices absorbing into the meat without leaving a mustard taste. THen I'll cover and leave in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. I'll slow cook in the oven at 225 - 250 for a few hours and will topoff with barbecue sauce for the last 15 minutes, that gives it a nice carmelization. After all is done the spices are soaked right into the meat, is tender and the suace gives itr a perfect coating.

I'm still a little lazy, so my favorite brand for rub is John Henry's they have several different ones. And I like either John Henry sauce or Crazy Cajun sauce.

10. MASTER_JEDI_RN

Apr 6, 2005
    Harlock-
    That sounds great! I'll try the mustard trick. It sounds like you're using spare ribs, but I'll give it a go with the baby backs!
    I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back,.....

Hey All! Didn't think I'd find computer access so soon. But, doubt there'll be any posting from Tahoe tomorrow.

MJ

11. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    MMMMMMMMmmmmm baby back ribs MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well, for large groups I usually go for spareribs. Smaller groups I like baby backs. But the method works either way.

Another thing to do if you don't wanna bake em, is of course to really slow cook them on te grill, with only small amounts of charcoal, but that still takes hourse, So what you can do is wrap cut sections of the ribs in foil tightlt and put them over the grill at med to low heat. What happens is that the meat gets steamed in it's own juices and spices. But it doesn't carmelize as well. But 15 minutes on the grill after removal of the foil and they can turn out pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.