main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

4th of July Parade in Belton

Discussion in 'Archive: Killeen, TX' started by Slave_princessJedi, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slave_princessJedi

Slave_princessJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2005
    The Pizza Hut Regional Manager in Belton wants us to do the 4th of July parade. They will be making a float with a Pizza Hut roof on it, which will allow some of us to ride, and others to walk along the side (like stormtroopers and such who can't sit).
    We can create a banner for the float to advertise who we are. Since our good friends in Waco will be helping out as well, it shouldn't just mention the Killeen FF, but should mention Waco FF as well.

We will be meeting up in Belton at 8:00 AM - location of meet-up to be determined.

Will write more when I get additional info.

Sunshine

2. KellyJeanne

KellyJeanne Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunshine,

I'd love to help and volunteer to be chewbacca, I will have my 2 boys with me and they can help hold the sign and walk along side. Let me know if its ok for me to be chewy
    my kids are Korey 16 and Michael 14

KellyJeanne

3. SaberKnights76

SaberKnights76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    my daughters Sierra 9yrs and Ariyana 7 yrs will be there with me as well. So if they can help with anything let me know.

4. Tandeer

Tandeer Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2001
    Sounds like fun. I will be there as well.

What kind of response are we getting from those in costume?

5. Slave_princessJedi

Feb 25, 2005

Pizza Hut has asked us to help them make a successful and winning float for the Belton 4th of July Parade,and they have asked that our costumed members be the main focus.
    Because of the Pizza Hut float being entered in the contest we have been asked to put on a uniform appearance.

In addition Pizza Hut's parade float only has limited room and they have requested that only costumed members participate by riding on the float or walking. They want to keep their entry as nice as possible and too many people in plain clothes walking would make it appear shabby and thrown together.So unless we have a unified look such as Tshirt with our logo on it to keep with the proffesional appearance of the entry, then non costumed people are asked to stay on the side lines. Non-costumed members can attend, but will need to be in an 'official' tshirt, I am working on getting prices for them on short notice but it would be easier if I had a number so anyone requiring a t-shirt please let me know asap.

I beleive that future events with PH could be determined by the professionalism shown at the parade. Waco's CR has contacted me and have several members planning on participating, I'd like to have a definite number so any one planning on making the appearance please contact me.

Thanks,

Sunshine

6. KellyJeanne

Jun 8, 2005
    im gonna say 2 for my boys, 1 XL 1 LG. if that falls through i will have to see what my boys want to do cause i would feel real bad having them come out and then not be with them. I really want to participate but i understand their point of view also.

I will see what they think when i pick them up, knowing them they will be ok with not being in it as long as they can see the parade up close and have something to drink. and if thats the case id like to be chewbacca still.

I'll post with their reply tomorrow

KellyJeanne

7. KellyJeanne

Jun 8, 2005
    if the t-shirts fall through my boys said they will gladly watch from the sidelines
    so i can still be Chewbacca if you would like me to be.

KellyJeanne

8. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Ok every for right now this is what I've found out after some research:

This is what I posted in Waco's forum.

Since Pizza Hut is not involved with the Star Wars license and the manager did not have permission from LFL to use the Star Wars name I?m going to have to ask that ?FanForce? name is not used.

This to limit the liability of the FanForce has a whole.

Also FanForce is not a costumed fan group so excluding members for that reason is against the rules. Example only members in costume can be in the parade.

So if you do go to the parade or anything at the Pizza Hut in Star Wars costume you will be personally liable if LFL?s lawyers start barking.

When we get together next time I can go into further detail.

I'm hoping to make it to your next meeting but to speck with everyone in detail.

9. britt1

britt1 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Thanks for the info Elizabeth. With that in mind, how does it affect other appearances we do? ie the drive-in was showing E3 and Wal-Mart did have tent thing so does the venue have to have official permission or pay a licensing fee to have us appear now?
    Jim

10. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    No not at all the drive in was just fine. This is just for the parade for now. I'll get to everyone when I have more info

11. Slave_princessJedi

Feb 25, 2005

Ok, I think there has been some mistunderstanding in regards to the belton parade. First of all the parade was not an activity that I suggested or even help plan out. It was an invitation to ride on their float. The invitation was put out because of our hard work at charity fundraiser at the Gatesville pizza hut. We would be allowed to hold banners to promte the KSA if we so chose to do so, but it's not a Starwars or a KFF float.Which brings me to the second miscommunication, I didnt exclude ANYONE from the parade. I know that it is against the rules to arrange an activity for only those in costume, but since this isnt an activity arranged my me, only an invitation to attend, all I could do is forward the info on.I did however ask that all our members be allowed to ride which they said was fine as long as they all wore a uniform color or shirt so as to look put together.The KSA T-shirt was my idea. Third, I spoke with my attorney conserning copyright infringment.He sent me a file on the subject and according to the U.S. government there are a few things that need to be considered in order for us to be liable.They are as follows:

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights:
    Fair use38
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, dramatic reproduction or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include ?

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work; and

(5) whether the work or any contents contained therein have been altered in portion or as a whole work; the alteration being at or exceeding 10%

Our appearance in the parade will not have an effect on the market ( negative or otherwise )
    we are not claiming we created the characters or taking any money. According to Mr. Waters if there is still concern about copyright infringement then a poster sort of a disclaimer
    ( whether done by the club or as individuals) could be done stating that the characters portrayed are the sole property of Lucas films and its subsidaries.

I was also wondering, if we cant do an appearance with a non liscensed individual without concern of copyright infringement, then how will we do a birthday party?

Thanks,

Sunshine

12. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    As long as it's non-profit it should be OK.

I was acting with what little information I had at the time.

The main consensus with the other RSA?s and GSA?s about the birthday party was not to take money at all or if you do don?t use the FF name.

I have a call into Steve Sansweet but I do not think I?ll hear from him until after Tuesday.

Sunshine I can send you my phone number again if you'd like to speak with me about this in detail. :)

13. Slave_princessJedi

Feb 25, 2005
    That would be great,any help I can get would be appreciated.

Sunshine

14. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.