4th of July: Star Wars music on the Mall

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Swingin Vader, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swingin Vader Force Ghost

star 4
  2. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    I imagine it's gonna be a bit crowded, not to mention a bit late for me. I probably won't be there :(
  3. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I make it a point to never go to Philly or DC on the 4th, way too many people and never enough potties or parking spaces. [face_laugh]
  4. jeditrainee Force Ghost

star 1
    Remember they have a dress rehearsal the day before. I went when they gave the Award to John Williams. It's a little bit less crowded. :)
  5. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anybody know what time the dress rehearsal is? I'm actually available on Sunday, whereas on Monday I may be marching in a parade....
  6. Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, at least I can record it off PBS.
  7. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hm. Haven't been to the mall in a few years. Maybe I'll go.
  8. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    Stallion, it'll be on PBS? Hmmm, that sounds much more appealing than making my way downtown....
  9. Darth_Twilight Jedi Master

star 2
    They've show the concert and fireworks on the mall on PBS for as long as I can remember, both MPT and WETA. That's where I'll be watching them, LOL. One year they had Russell Watson singing a couple of arias. Wow, were they beautiful. He's my favorite for arias.

I'll look forward to seeing the SW music this year.

Oh and I've done the mall, on the 4th, a number of times. LOL, its pandemonium, I'm retired from it. [face_laugh]
  10. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I can say the same thing replacing "the mall" with Philadelphia, and this year with Live 8 happening on Saturday, I am staying as far away from the city as possible ths weekend.

Well except the 3rd when I have to be in the city for a 501st event, but it's inside, air conditioned and there's free parking so I can handle that. :D
  11. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    I've done the mall as well, a few times. I could pass. I didn't realize they showed it on TV, though. Never bothered to look. I'm glad, though ;)
  12. Swingin Vader Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with what everyone has said about the Mall. Add to that the fact that it is usually 120 degree plus 100 percent humidity, makes for an interesting day.

I actually wasn't planning on going at all until I heard about the concert. For those who have never heard SW music played by a live orchestra, it is totally worth it. There is no substitute. Watching it on TV is basically like listening to the soundtrack, it just does not have the same effect.

I'm probably just going to see it, then take off and avoid all the crowds. Just my $0.02
  13. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    You think you can avoid the crowds? Doesn't the concert start at 8pm?
  14. jeditrainee Force Ghost

star 1
    From the Post:

"The dress rehearsal for the A Capitol Fourth Concert is Sunday at 7:30 p.m. The same security measures apply. No fireworks on Sunday, of course."
  15. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hm. Sunday at 7:30 you say..... Hmmmm.......
  16. Swingin Vader Force Ghost

star 4
    You think you can avoid the crowds? Doesn't the concert start at 8pm?

I meant the crowds on the metro going home. Everyone will still be around for the fireworks, so getting away from the Mall would have been easier.

But actually, now it looks like I'm staying for the whole enchillada anyway. :D
  17. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    Insanity!

Cinnea, does that mean you're thinking of going to the dress rehearsal?
  18. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I am. Although I just learned a friend is coming to town, so now I may be at a bbq at her sister's house. My guess is I'll be deciding at the last possible minute.
  19. MasterGhost Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow..on PBS..nice what time? I ma set my VCR to record this event!
  20. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    We will probably decide at the last minute as well. But if you decide before the last minute, let us know :p
  21. PlayzOboe Jedi Knight

star 2
    Someone needs to record it for me!!!! I have to work on the 4th AND 5th so I won't be driving down to DC until later on Wednesday :-( Just to make my life more exciting too, I'll have a dentist appointment at 9a on Thursday. [face_beatup]
  22. MasterGhost Jedi Knight

star 2
    So...who knows what time the Star Wars thing is on at...?I wanna record it so badly I can remember the band at my schoool playing some Star Wars songs...anyways who knows when it starts?
  23. Darth_Twilight Jedi Master

star 2
    Well, today they've been advertising it on PBS as starting on Monday at 8...but didn't mention star wars music, so I'm curious now. Are there other shows? Or are we sure its the DC show that will play it?

24. MasterGhost Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wait! PBS is on channel 26 right? cause it says WETA.
  25. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yep, Channel 26 is WETA, the DC PBS station. I wish I could put more acronyms in that sentence. And that's the SW music one - I saw the guy talking about it on the news today. I too shall set my VCR. Won't be making the rehearsal though, pity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.