main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

5 hours till the simpsons movieeeeeeee

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 4' started by darth_boy, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    qeFVRDBTHGDGDGfgfdhgghgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfcantwaitwqtretereerhgjhjjttyt

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Highlight spoilers please, it doesn't come out here until Friday.

3. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    yeah will do.
    Although most of the spoilers will only be jokes, which im a sucker for remembering

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    GLORIA!

I think the review is a little confused - at times it recognises the shows glory years, and at others it makes the case that the broadcast show is still worthwhile - but never-the-less this is firmly in my camp. The thrust is very much that the show in its current state cannot support a feature.

5. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    1hour !!!!!

U MAD EVERTON HAHAHAHAH

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Even if, deep down, you don't like it, you're still gonna report back that you loved it.

7. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    not rly

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    SPOILERS IN THE LINKS, NO DOUBT

None of those reviews are honest enough to accept the fact that the show is not the same as it used to be. They all review based on the ridiculous notion that the broadcast show today is comparable to the glorious shows of yesteryear. EMPIRE's review is looking at the film based on what made the Simpsons great, not what makes is a mockery of its former self today.

Plus, EMPIRE is my movie benchmark of choice, and I'm delighted they agree with me.

EDIT: And then, look at some of these quotes from the second review...

IT'S a comedy institution that everyone absolutely adores and as time goes on, it just gets better and better.

But the three things that had me laughing most were Homer getting a household tool in his eye, Bart skateboarding nude, and, most of all, Spider-Pig. For the last two nights I've pictured that last scene as I'm drifting to sleep and woken myself up by laughing. It's that good.

Put simply, this is 87 blistering minutes of pure, unadulterated, brilliant comedy gold, that stands up to the very best of the telly episodes and surpasses most of them.

I mean, honestly...

EDIT EDIT: And this from the third:

Eighty-five minutes is not long enough to do justice to 17 years of comedy genius.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: And some of the sensible comments from EMPIRE's review:

Back in the classic era, the first ten seasons, say, they created jokes for the ages; comic writing with the kind of snap and sizzle of Woody Allen in the ?60s or Neil Simon or Mel Brooks

Lamed, as the later episodes have been, by an overt political agenda,

The series is at its best when satirising the intricacies of ordinary life ? aim smaller, hit bigger.

9. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    It is also mine.

Which means that you are now officially my movie benchmark of choice choosing benchmark of choice, Chris.

-JR :)

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh, and I promise you 2001 that if when I see it I enjoy it (or parts of it) I'll say so.

EDIT: I'm inclined to wait until I have seen the film for myself (next couple of days) before I read the opinions of other fans.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I am watching a programme on the BBC about the show, with various people lauding it.

Anyway, it opened with the statement that the show just keeps getting better and better. There have been tons of clips so far to demonstrate why the show is so great, but as yet not one has been taken from the post-1998 era.

I'll post again if one is.

EDIT: They've showed a clip of the Gervais authored episode beause Gervais is one of the talking heads. Basically just showing some of the episode he wrote. Not one word about how this demonstrates greatness.

EDIT EDIT: Finished. To reiterate, this BBC documentary show failed to show one post-1998 clip to demonstrate why the show is so great. And there were LOTS of clips. And yet... at the beginning and end of the show we were told the show is still great. Ho-hum.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well firstly EMPIRE Australia will be staffed by different people, thus a different set of opinions. A different office.

As for 'Whatever'... okay. :)

EDIT: Oh, also, on a point I'm sure we can both agree on... EMPIRE says Mr. Burns is only given two scenes. What a travesty! :(

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Heh. Dunno really. It's in caps on the magazines front cover, so I mimic that. :p

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Everton stop being such a hater, only plebs hate on something theyve never seen before.

It was very good. It was like one of those season 6-11 episodes, extended. The fact is the entire full cinema was laughing for 80 minutes. Thats the only thing that matters.

Also you like Star Wars, that hasnt been good since about 1980. Get real

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Correct. It's apples and oranges. Besides, I never once claimed that Transformers wouldn't be an exciting action type film (not that I've bloody seen it yet! [face_frustrated]). My problem is the film is approaching the subject all wrong, not that it hasn't been relatively successful in it's skewed take on the franchise.

Also, I enjoy the fact that you feel the need to make this post in defence of The Simpsons Movie. Nothing like avoiding a film's own merits, eh? [face_mischief]

16. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    :rolleyes:

Everton go eat a banana

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Haven't I said that I would say if I liked the film. Indeed I have.

It absolutely is not.

What has SW got to do with anything?

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    lol

19. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The problem (or at least, one of the problems) is that the vast majority of people will laugh at pretty much anything - no matter how inane. They will see the (most likely) ridiculous 'jokes' and happenings in The Simpsons Movie, recognise it as exactly the same sort of humour the show has been been serving up for nearly a decade now... and laugh, because most people aren't all that demanding. To most it doesn't matter that the humour is as basic and simple and lame as it could possibly be.

The fact that The Simpsons used to be so much better than that will go completely over their heads. Thus, cinemas will be full of people laughing at crap, because people laugh at crap. This is no barometer for the quality of the piece itself. Ten years ago or more, when the show was churning out television the likes of which will probably never be seen again, the production team and consequently the audience were operating not just on the silly humour level, but on a multitude of levels each more subtle than the last. All very funny. Only one level exists today, the base level. And that is where the show, and most likely the movie too, currently reside.

The Simpsons used to be so very good, pretty much peerless. It was light years ahead of its audience. It didn't need to be as perfect as it was in order to attract mass audiences and near total adulation. Today, the show is creeping ever nearer to its audience.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    That's true, people have been laughing at all of the recycled gags, and plot points, that the Simpsons have been regurgitating from previous seasons, for the last nine or ten years. It's really not surprising that if the film does the same, it will get the same results.

Though, to be fair, maybe some of the recycled jokes, and what not are appreciated by a much younger audience, that didn't catch the jokes the first time round.

It seems to me that most people that are meh about the Simpsons last last several seasons, are the ones that grew up with it, as it evolved from the beginning.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I've just found out that *both* my local cinemas are closed due to lack of running water.

Grrrrrrr.............

I won't get to write negative review of Transformers or The Simpsons!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.