5 Years From Now: Where do you see Star Wars within the realm of gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord-Draco, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    Apart from the TPM-time, I haven't seen a really bad Star Wars game, so I don't expect that to change.
    LucasArts will concentrate on proven things that will sale, instead of doing risky games.

Until know, they have only copied highly popular games in Age of Empires and Battlefield, which isn't surprising, as you can make lots of money with them.
    I don't see too many similarities in KOTOR/NWN and EAW/C&C. They have pretty much the same developer, but that's it. If those games are too similar, you couldn't make any RPGs or RTS' anymore, because some things simply belong in that genre and have to be included. That has nothing to do with copying something established.
  2. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Oh, and as to bad SW games. Look no further than KOTOR II. Sloppy story and choppy gameplay.

I think the problem with gaming is that there's too many sequels. I would never play crap like Resident Evil 4, or Final Fantasy 100. Or Starfox 12.
  3. DroidGeneral Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I hope that with the success of Battlefront, LA looks at the whole "space combat" idea and maybe bring X-wing vs TIE Fighter to the
    consoles. That would be nice.

They will probably keep running with the Galaxies series because there is so much to add on.
  4. AnddreWicha Jedi Knight

star 2
    I honestly don't think that the technology will plateau so SW games at least won't digress... and with the upcoming SW TV series and more novels I doubt there will be a lack of storylines or ideas for games. Of course Galaxies will stay strong, the online gaming seems to be going the way of reality television where every game is going to it.
  5. Psycho_Sith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well this is just turning into arguements - too bad, it was a cool topic.

I want EAW on X-Box, I too want to see games that will use the Revolution's controller to it's fullest & I wanna see more expansive titles as well as my "mindless" run & guns.

6. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sadly, I don't think there will be an emphasis on the space combat I yearn for as long as this prequel emphasis remains in place.

Why? Jedi are the fighter pilots of the PT. Everyone loved the space battles of the OT, and now there's a big focus on Jedi and land combat.

*sigh* All I want is TIE Fighter: Empire...
  7. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    The TV series may get games but I doubt we'll ever see any book or comic based games for SW. For some reason LA is very reluctant to make EU references in games, let alone entire games based on them. There references to EU are there for sure but never anything major. A bonus level here or there, a mention in passing to a character. Never anything more than that. Hopefully though, this will change now that there are no more movies.
  8. Lord-Draco Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to disagree when you say that Star Wars games in the next 5 years will be dead. Its the brand Star Wars is why LucasArts is so popular today. I said this in my LucasArts = Weakest Publisher/Developer thread. LucasArts has an advantage that other companies don't have, they have a name that a lot of people likes and will buy no matter of the quality put in it. Take EA for an example. They are like LucasArts, they have a brand that a lot of people likes....the NFL. No matter how crappy Madden NFL 06 could have been (I thought it was a great game BTW), people will still buy it and probably enjoy it just because it carries the NFL tag and is the only game out to have it.

But with everything else you said, I agree.

As for you SephyCloneNo15, you made some great concepts there, keep it up. :)

KOTOR is probably the best Star Wars game ever made, or atleast in this generation. Look at the awards it has won and how great the reviews are. Guess what? KOTOR takes place 4,000 years before the movie era even begins.

Note: Battlefront may be the best selling game of all time, but going by the awards that KOTOR won and how better KOTOR's reviews are compared to Battlefront, unofficially KOTOR is the better game.

Funny, but the ironic thing is, it could be true.

Again, I don't say "KOTOR is the best SW game to come out this generation" just for my health lol. Since 2000-2005 KOTOR is probably the more original SW games to come out. And guess what? Like I said before, its EU, not movie tie-in material.

Thats a nice statement. New Star Wars games innovations could come out of this new Revolution controller. Even though I hate that thing, nice things still could come from it. Nice point there. ;)

9. DroidGeneral Jedi Master

star 4
    That's your opinion. I would disagree because thats my opinion. It all depends on what type of game you like, whether it be a 3rd person action shooter or an RPG.
  10. Lord-Draco Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm going to let the awards/Review Scores of KOTOR do the talking. Awards/Review scores aren't my opinion, those are raw facts. Sells means nothing because I know many people who bought the game and then said that they didn't like it. There are people who bought KOTOR and said they didn't like it to, but you have to account that it has won 130+ Awards including 30+ Game of the Year Awards and not to mention that on Gamerankings.com a site that displays review averages for games from ALL of the reviews the game got. KOTOR has an average of 94.0% and ranked #3 behind Halo and Halo 2. Whereas Battlefront 1 has an average score of 79.2% and ranked #188. You do the math.

See thats where you run into a brick wall. Going off of that, it seems like you're saying that Battlefront 1 is better than KOTOR only because you like 3rd Person Action shooters more than you enjoy RPGs. Thats not good enough of an judgement. Thats like me saying that the Houstan Texans 0-7 I believe is better than the Colts 8-0 just because I like the Texans style of offense/defense more than the Colts.

Who knows, maybe the Texans are a better team, but going by that record, the Colts are better. Same here, maybe BF1 IS better than KOTOR. But going by the awards its won and its high review scores, KOTOR is better.

Maybe thats just my opinion, but the awards and review scores isn't.
  11. Psycho_Sith Jedi Master

star 4
    RE4 was one seriously great game - sequel or not. Did you even check that game out? Superb all around!
  12. TillTheEndOfTime Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I loved Star Wars Battlefront 1. Love Knights Of The Republic 1 & 2 is MEH. Loved the trailers etc for Battlefront 2 bro brought it first day it came out played it with him for about an hour I REALLY wanted to LIKE this game but MEH Graphics are the same if not Worse then the first one. Don't get me started on the AI. So I saved myself 50 bucks on Battlefront 2. I may buy it eventually when its like I dunno $9.99 but I won't be buying it anytime soon. I prefer more Jedi RPG games like KOTOR. Games like Battlefront are good usually just for Online Multiplayer. So I am sure we will see more of those type games & more Jedi based games.
  13. Tay-Mar Jedi Master

star 4
    I see the franchise going along pretty much as it is now, which is a shame. When the first X Wing game came out it was a revelation and again with the release of X Wing Vs Tie Fighter, then again with X Wing Alliance, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. There isn't that kind of inovation coming out of Lucasarts at the moment it's all being pumped out from third parties like Pandemic and Sony, re hashes of 'Popular' games with a Star Wars flavour, I'm not opposed to this just disapointed.

The only real issue with Star Wars games is the range of formats games are released for, consoles, PC and Mac if someone were to think about it certain game types work and sell better depending upon the hardware, for example Galaxies wouldn't work too well or sell if it was released for a console, although some console conversions will work on PC and Mac. If I had a chance to tell the powers that be, what they should do I would have seperate teams working on titles for seperate formats and still use the third parties to develop games for specific formats.

Please give PC users a break and give them a m.m.o.r.p.g. that works and isn't too expensive, a new X Wing game or a Jedi game that feels balanced and is fun to play.
  14. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Would virtual reality be possible within the next five years. Because I would like to see something where I actually get to fight something 'real'
  15. Lord-Draco Force Ghost

star 4
    What you said are some pretty fair concepts. :)
  16. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    You might learn your lesson, but as the quote suggest "a sucker is born every minute" meaning that more 6-15 year olds are buying games solely based on cool factor.

Most 6-15 year olds aren't buying games. Their parents are. And in 5 years the parents of those kids will be the beginning of the people who grew up on games and in 10 it will be my generation.

a good example of this is the dynasty warrior series. they have released 10 games of the same title, same gameplay, same story and only adding little tidbits for each succession, they arent "great" games but they breakthrough sales/profit gap just enough to make the next one. That game doesnt even have the "StarWars" label on it nor its popularity.

And you think the Dynasty Warrior series will last another 5 years?

Oh, and as to bad SW games. Look no further than KOTOR II. Sloppy story and choppy gameplay.

I would never play crap like Resident Evil 4, or Final Fantasy 100. Or Starfox 12.

Funny. Resident Evil 4 is the best game of this year by miles and anyone who says differently is an idiot. Final Fantasy is on about 15 console games IIRC and they are all great. Star Fox only has 5 games and they are all pretty good games. Granted Adventures was boring, but the graphics were amazing.

I have to disagree when you say that Star Wars games in the next 5 years will be dead.

If this downward spiral continues I think SW games will be dead or dying. I don't think the draw of the franchise will be enough to keep substandard games alive in the coming years. But if LucasArts shapes up and gets smart the franchise will last for a long time.
  17. Tay-Mar Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for that Lord Draco.

We all know why the inovation has gone from Lucasarts and many of the other big multi-national publishers, time and money. It's easier and cheaper to have things done by contractors and third parties, it cuts costs but kills the whole creative process and we end up with games that lack the personal touches of Dark Forces and the X Wing series, we have a mirror of the music industry, where the bottom line means more than the product, where the industry ends up telling us what we want to play because we aren't given the choice. I want to play Star Wars games and to that end I will have to buy and play what's available simply because there is nothing else.

PC Gamer here in the UK described Star Wars fans as 'Loyal as a labrador' and we are, we went out and brought The Phantom Menace, Force Commander and Jedi Academy for no other reason than it had Star Wars on the box. That is how I see the franchise continuing to go.
  18. Psycho_Sith Jedi Master

star 4
    With this in mind I'd expect to see more of the genre crossing games like Jim Ward had said before.

"Star Wars Battlefront II" is poised to overtake last year's original "Star Wars Battlefront" as the best-selling Star Wars video game of all time, with first-week sales 40 percent ahead of its predecessor, Ward said.
  19. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Um...you have heard of Knights of the Old Republic, haven't you? o_O Both games are entirely, one-hundred-percent EU-based, and originated from day one out of an EU comics series and a whole-cloth EU time period, with Expanded Universe characters and -- largely -- purely EU settings throughout.

The stories are by far the richest, most finely-honed characterizational pieces ever done in the Star Wars gaming firmament, and stand as effective novels unto themselves. To say nothing of a good one-half to two-thirds of any given Rogue Squadron or Dark Forces title, where the lion's share of gameplay takes place across locales other than those from the films.

Now that the films are concluded, though? Absolutely there'll be more EU-based content in the Original Trilogy era and elsewhere, since the movie-wellhead has essentially dried up. The KotOR games are simply the beginning of this trend.

:: Sputts coffee all over the monitor ::

[face_beatup]
  20. Darth_FattyAss Jedi Master

star 1
    LA has the potential to continue the as a leader in the gaming industry. We are at a watershed moment in the evolution of gaming. More and more, gaming is considered the dominant form of entertainment in American homes, and homes around the World. We're seeing the creation of huge development houses (BioWare/Pandemic) and Hollywood is taking an increasing interest in the medium. With this increased interest and influx of capital we'll see the boundries of gaming pushed farther and farther ( mind you, will get a lot of crappy games as well.) Developers and writers will be coming out with increasingly complex and well thought-out games. However, LA will be passed by if they continue to take the SW franchise for granted as they have. If they think they can put out another BF with a coat of polish while Silcon Knights is doing Too Human or RUSH another KOTOR to market while companies like BioWare are doing Mass Effect, than they will eventually be forgotten by the hardcore games that constitute a large percentage of their fanbase.

The general public is a fickle consumer and SW is big now, but five years from now LA would be wise to cater to it's core fans when it comes to designing games.
  21. Kish Jedi Knight

star 2

I don't really agree with that. I think that if LucasArts continues to put out the same BS games year after year, that people will start to grow tired of them. Star Wars will die. I mean, it seems like every game they're making starts off with "You know, ________ game is really awesome... wouldn't it be even better if it was STAR WARS?!" ________ game can be Battlefield 1942, Age of Empires, Neverwinter Knights, whatever.

Every Star Wars game has a been there done that feeling to it, right from the very start. Yes, it's awesome that its Star Wars, but beyond that the gameplay is so much like a previous game that there isn't anything new to give us.

And LucasArts is running out of games to copy. So much so that they're making sequels to copies of previous games.(Battlefront 2, Rogue Squadron Series)

It's not enough to say "Have you ever dreamed of being a Jedi? Or flying an Xwing in the Battle of Yavin? Taking on a squadron of Stormtroopers?" Because the answer to those questions is "Yes, I have. And i've already done it numerous times; are you going to give me something new now?"

I don't know how LucasArts will be able to keep making good Star Wars games when they're not being innovative. Soon, the day will come when they can't keep putting out the same game. When gamers pick up Battlefront 5 they'll realize, "Didn't I just play this game?
  22. Lord-Draco Force Ghost

star 4
    Thats 100% what I was trying to say in my LucasArts ==> Weakest Publisher thread but a small select few didn't want to listen. Thanks for backing me up on that. So for those who oppose what I said....just look around you and you'll see that Lord-Draco is not the only person here who has that view. Many others are sharing my same views and its becoming even more and more obvious now.

Well said my friend, well said. I don't believe that Star Wars gaming will die, but I do believe that it will probably experience a dark time because we as Star Wars gamings fans don't put enough pressure on LucasArts to give us great and innovative games. We're just too caught up in the idea that it has Star Wars written on the front cover. Take Battlefront 1 as an example, a highly rushed game with many bugs and glitches with weak AI and no real direction other than its a Star Wars: Battlefield 1942. And what was the result? It is the best selling SW game of all time. If the name Star Wars had not been on that game, people would label this as a flop and a waste of time. However throw the name Star Wars on it and geeks eat it up like chicken and gravy out of the oven.

23. plo_koom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    PC Gamer here in the UK described Star Wars fans as 'Loyal as a labrador' and we are, we went out and brought The Phantom Menace, Force Commander and Jedi Academy for no other reason than it had Star Wars on the box. That is how I see the franchise continuing to go.

That is the kind of crap comment that prove people like Lord-Draco right. He thinks we are all in some kind of zombified haze and we buy everything off the shelves with the name Star Wars attached to it. I only buy games that I know for sure I will like and a few of them happen to be about Star Wars. I still have never touched a Jedi Knight, Galaxies and many other Star Wars games because I'm not sure they will be that good. We aren't idiots who buy crap with Star Wars in the name just to stomach it long enough to enjoy it on our mantels. We aren't all just trying to save up some huge Star Wars collection. Hell, I still haven't even bought the ROTS DVD and I don't have plans to.
  24. Psycho_Sith Jedi Master

star 4
  25. Tay-Mar Jedi Master

star 4
    Plo_Koom you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line, neither I or Lord Draco are suggesting that Star Wars gamers are all a bunch of morons that will buy everything with Star Wars on the box, that is how the games industry views Star Wars gamers, they honsetly believe that they can sell any old tat to us as long as it has the logo on the box. Knights of the old Republic for example, a great RPG with an interesting and involving storyline, let down by numerous bugs and glitches that weren't fixed with any of the patches and remained in the code for the sequel which ran worse than the original in places.

There have been a number of Star Wars titles that shouldn't have been released to the public as they were and some should never have seen the light of day in my opinion, which begs the question why did they see the light of day ? They were released because the games industry thought they could make money out of it and having the logo on the box adds an extra 30% to the sales before it's even released, that's what annoys me about all this. I want to see quality Star Wars games that reflect the quality of the movies, not some rushed tat that leaves me feeling disapointed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.