main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

50 Percent Grey, another Must, Must see!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Macho, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    50 Percent Grey is a great CG film which was up for an Oscar this year. It was made by a 23 year old. It has a sorta pixar look to it, but i think a very creative idea. Download it here

http://www.3dluvr.com/ruairi/

2. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Ah! That one appeared on this month's spanish Issue of 3D World. COver picture too! Lol "Click here for crappy QT Sor3 version" :D and click here for "glorious DivX avi" :D

Carl

3. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    old news, my friend, old news.... good film, but old news... well... i suppose that i would have seen these shorts, but probably not many others would have... so i guess keep posting them.

4. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    That was cool :D

Yeah...

WoO!

~DK~

5. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    Ahh, that brings back memories.... It's the stuff of nightmares though really.

Good CG work, however.

6. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah, the brains look very real. Not that I've seen many brains... Alien Ressurection brains looked like jello, lol. Btw, whats a "Purgatory"? Is it something to do with religion? If so, hence my limited knowledge in this field.

Carl

7. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    That was...pretty squirrely. :)

8. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    Purgatory is, to my knowledge, where you wait before the vertict is decided and you are sent into heaven or hell....

9. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    i'm right there with ya carl, and i learned about this from 3dworld(best cg mag out there, if only i was suscribed)

10. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Heehee, yeah, I will probably get a subscription once I move. I hear you get a huge discount off the cover price. Btw, I appeared in 3D World once :) In the exhibition section.

Carl

11. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    cool, what issue?

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hmmm...

I didn't find it that good.

Nice CG work, though.

13. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Macho, I coudnt tell you the number, because the numbering is different in each country to my knowledge. Its in the issue that has the two lamps from the famous Luxo Jr. short by Pixar but textured with rusty metal. And the cover story is something like "Make realistic metal textures for your models". Tell me if you have it, and I'll tell ya what to look out for ;)

Carl

14. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    yeah, i have it, the one with black hawk down effects in it. Nice spray bottles :p

15. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002

That was my first serious render. I used the default MAX "chrome" and remade the can texture in PS. I try to stay away from pre-made textures now, as they are as immediately identifiable as a Terragen landscape :) What about the description? Is it still in spanish or is it translated? Also I got me a full page :D At least over here...

Carl

16. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    it just says
    [01] CARL CAMPBELL
    SPRAY CANS
    3ds Max 4.0 (modelling_
    Photoshop 6.0 (texture editing)
    then your e-mail

i dont know if it was different in yours

O and dont pay any attention to me and carl, just post about the film :p

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Just for the sake of accuracy, purgatory isn't the waiting room for the heaven-hell verdict. Purgatory (according to the Catholics), is where you are "purged" of your worldly ways of acting and thinking, in preparation for your eternity in heaven.

If you're going to Hell, you're going to Hell, because Hell is the absence of God and those who go to Hell have made that choice in how they live their life, wanting nothing to do with God. If He forced them to go to heaven, when they hate him, heaven would be Hell to them. So Hell is His allowing them to have what they want. The fire and brimstone is a symbolic representation of what existence feels like without God.

If you're going to heaven, you start in purgatory as a transition into heaven. Some stay longer than others.

If you went to heaven as you are, you couldn't handle it. You'd be bored (because there's never any conflict) and scared (because you don't belong), and as imperfect beings we would ruin it. We're purged of our imperfections (see where the name came from, right?) and then ready to enter into that eternity. A good metaphor is physical training before football season. If you went on the field without doing that...not good.

I'm Protestant so I don't believe in Purgatory (though I do believe in that definition of Hell). I believe life itself is our purgatory. But that's what Purgatory "is" in the Catholic tradition.

M. Scott

18. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Thanks Dorkman, I wasn't awake enough earlier to write that.

But yeah, you're right about what the Catholics think.

19. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    i guess not all of them but most...since i never heard of it before(i'm catholic)

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The sad thing is I discover a lot of Catholics don't even know that they "believe that."

EDIT: Case in point, Macho.

M. Scott

21. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    i dont go to church, read the bible or anything so thats probably why...anyway i think we should get back on topic before daft gets here :p

22. silva_p

silva_p Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Yeah i saw this one before the oscar nominations and i thought it was amazing. very nice - the idea is brilliant

23. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    i dont go to church, read the bible or anything

Um...then why do you call yourself catholic?

'Yeah, I'm a cook, but I haven't even microwaved something in 30 years.'

'Yup, I'm a director. Although I'm not into all that 'directing' stuff.'

'I build houses, but I don't. I actually put bubbles on my face all day and call it 'building houses'.'

I don't mean to offend anybody, but say you're something you're not.

24. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    i have gone to church i just dont go a lot, a few times a year, i have been baptised(sp?) had my comunine(sp?) and everything else, we just dont go to church often

25. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    My point still stands, Macho.

Don't say you're something you're not. Maybe you could say you're a non-practicing Catholic, or that you're baptized, but if you don't go to church, and you don't read your Bible, you're not a Catholic.

Now, let's get back on subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.