main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [My Little Pony - FiM] For Nothing Is Set in Stone (2013-01 50 Sentences Challenge)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lazy K, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I refuse to believe that Discord can't speak, even if he was turned to stone by the Elements of Harmony. :p

Written for the Fifty Sentence Challenge of January 2013. Pardon the format, but I refuse to clutter my story with the prompts and this was the best I could think of. Hover your mouse on the footnote-like links and look in your browser's status bar for the prompts.

For Nothing Is Set in Stone

On some days Luna felt like she was just banging her head against the wall.1 It would have helped if Discord was at least trying to bridge the rift that had grown between him and . . . well, all of Equestria, really.2 But sometimes it seemed like he was merely designing ornate walls just so he could laugh when she crashed into them.3

Her sister, Princess Celestia had already decided that Discord was too difficult, too chaotic, too . . . too different to be part of their society.4 Luna wasn't so sure; she felt that, deep down, there was common ground to be found with the avatar of chaos.5 That nopony could fall so far that he couldn't be saved.6

Discord had waved aside this notion, saying life wasn't a bedtime story with a happy ending.7 He wasn't going to be a nice person just because a princess told him should.8 Even if he tried to act like one, he wouldn't be able to keep his true nature hidden.9 Only a fool would claim otherwise.10

You couldn't wipe the slate clean and start over from scratch - not after all he'd done.11 As far as he was concerned, Luna was trying to make a house of cards without any cards.12 She was as loony as a mental ward on a full moon.13 Couldn't she see that the gap between them was a canyon too wide to be bridged?14 That he was beyond all redemption?15

And yet . . . Luna couldn't help but feel that there could be amends, even if all parties were dead set against the idea.16 If just one person was of unshaking faith, if even one person believed, then all things should be possible.17 Unfortunately, it was all too likely that she would have to be that one pony; no-one seemed likely to aid her in this quixotic endeavor.18

Still, she felt a kinship with Discord - who else could relate to being imprisoned with no company but yourself for hundreds of years?19 It was up to her to be strong, to remain unfaltering even in the face of adversity.20 This she knew in her heart.21 Discord still had a soul, even if it was a bitter and cynical one.22 No matter how many lies he built around himself, there was no hiding the fact.23 She could only hope that someday, Discord himself would realize this.24 Until then, it was up to her to keep the torch burning, to have faith when nopony else would.25

"I find your willingness to plumb the depths of my being for something good touching," Discord had said, rolling his stony eyes with undisguised sarcasm.26 "But lovely as your ideals may be, they're just clouding your head, you know.27 Should you really be distracting yourself with me?28 Aren't you spending a little too much time on something that has absolutely no bearing on your duties?29 I mean, if dear old Celestia finds out, she may decide you're still too troublesome to keep around, even without Nightmare Moon."30

Luna listened patiently as he wove his threads of doubt and dissent.31 But either he had lost his edge or she was growing more perceptive, because she thought she could see his uncaring guise unraveling, if only just a bit.32 Discord needed a friend, though he would never admit it, not even to himself.33

"We won't fail you again," she said, hoping he would remember that, once upon a time so very long ago, he had been a brother to them.34

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, Comrade Luna," he said derisively.35 "Oh, wherever would we be without you to espouse terminally lost causes?36 To comfort crying foals?37 How would we ever, ever be able to sleep at nights without you to watch over us?"38 He dropped his charade to give her a weary look, saying, "Give it up, Luna - it will never work."39

She accepted the scorn in his eyes, for she knew she deserved it.40 Using the Elements of Harmony against him had been an act of desperation but also, she knew, one of betrayal.41 They had allowed themselves to give in to the Elements' power, to be used instead of using.42 In that moment, there had been no limit to what they could accomplish.43 And so they had, letting go of mortal inhibitions and, in the process, losing their connection with what was truly important.44

Was there any wonder Discord harbored resentment for them?45

We're like ships with no sail or rudder, Luna thought, at the mercy of waves we can't control or even understand.46

But destiny, or coincidence, or whatever it was that determined their fates, had brought them together.47 How could you say good-bye so easily, parting ways without at least trying to reconcile?48 Because life was too short and opportunities too fleeting to throw away so casually.49

And not even Discord deserved to face eternity alone.50

Tarsier likes this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off - I love how you were able to take the prompts and write a flowing, cohesive story with it. Normally these prompts are used as a springboard for randomness, but you made them all stand in line and tell a tale. Wonderful. (And how snazzy your coding with the prompts in the footnotes. How neat. =D=)

That said, I can't believe that I have ever read anything from My Little Pony, but there is definitely an interesting dynamic between Luna and Discord you presented here. Nicely done in the time allotted. :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is a very unique presentation, but I really like it! Like Mira, I've never read any pony fics, but I quite enjoyed this one.

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Mira_Jade - The rabbit bit me before I saw the previous challenge responses. If I'd known what was usually done, then I would have had an easier time writing :D

NYCitygurl - Thank you! It's nice to know I can write things that non-MLP fans can enjoy.

And to everyone who took the time: Thanks for reading!

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Am I crazy, or does Discord sound like ROTJ Darth Vader?

6. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree with Mira and NYC - excellent story and impressive use of the prompts!