main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Obscure Droids and Ewoks comics -- translated by Abel Peña

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Mar 25, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So -- some of us had caught on to Abel's fb posting about an upcoming project... well, here it is!

http://hassleinbooks.blogspot.com/2013/03/guest-blog-ee-chee-wa-maa-translating.html

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Takeaway: Mexicans actually say "ay, chihuahua"?

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm excited about this--I only learned about these a few weeks ago, but I had no idea that this many wheels were turning to bring them online. (Especially given that almost no one knew about these until this year.) Apparently, though, even Lucasfilm doesn't have records on whether or not these were officially licensed stories, so we may never know where they fit into the canon. :( (I suspect that this will not keep certain authors from referencing them where appropriate, however. :D)

The2ndQuest and Plaristes like this.
  4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    It's a pity these were discovered right after the Ewoks and Droids Omnibus was released. :oops:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Lucasfilm has no records of these being licensed, so Dark Horse will not reprint them...

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just took a real quick look under Comics in one of my collecting books and didn't see them listed.

7. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Sweet!!! :D

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Something obscure sees the light of day once more! AWESOME! Gracias Halagad_Ventor!!!

(...or should I say, "Teeha!"?:p )

...said no fan. Ever.

darthcaedus1138, jSarek and Plaristes like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think it's justaboutenoughkill.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I love the extended discourse he has on the translator's dilemma. I sort of cherry-pick translations of the classics, as I have ten different translations of the Aeneid -- none of which wholly satisfy me, so I switch from text to text based on how faithful I think individual passages are to the original Latin. I like the fact that Abel's both treating the original material with respect, but also trying to capture the essence of it too. It's sort of funny to read something like that in relation to some fanciful old SW comics, but then again, given the sort of scholastic bent we all have towards the EU here, it's basically exactly what we like to see. Wouldn't expect anything less.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    One must always be searching for the true interpretation of the great Waru's vision, yes.

BigAl6ft6 and Halagad_Ventor like this.
  12. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Really looking forward to seeing these!

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is just fantastic.

And you know that we'll include info from them on the Wook, even if it's under "ambiguously canon" tags. :D

Plaristes and Mia Mesharad like this.
  14. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Looks like Vlix is in there and Jann Tosh is at least mentioned. That would make this the first new stories featuring these characters (at least for English language readers) in over 25 years! It's nice to have something that at least feels like new Droids and Ewoks stories, even though they are just as old as all the rest of the memorabilia stemming off from those shows. It's also really cool to have some well known names in the Star Wars community working on this project. Hopefully this will stir a little more interest in these characters, old school kid friendly comics, and Droids and Ewoks in general.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Looking forward to these!

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Oh man, this is awesome. I've never heard of these comics before, definitely looking forward to them!

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, it's interesting to see Jann Tosh. Tig and Vlix were the only characters from the cartoon (save for Threepio and Artoo, obviously) who appeared in the Droids comics, but if Jann's in these ones, then we can speculate about all kinds of appearances by cartoon favourites. Mungo? Kea? ... Doodnik??

I loves me my Threepio/Artoo adventures --- I'd love it if Randy's announcement was another Droids comic, but these new old ones will do quite well.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh man, I probably read these comics back in the day. I know the Ewoks one looks awfully familiar.

19. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    The discovery of this previously unknown material reminded me that apparently there was an issue of the Marvel/Star Ewoks comic that never saw the light of day due to the cancellation of the series. At least that's the story on Wookieepedia. No source for that information is given, so it's hard to say if it's legit, but if it does exist, it would be nice to get Ewoks issue 15 too!

20. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Excellent news - Thanks for the post. I was completely unaware of these comics before reading about them online recently.

Here's hoping they do get reprinted somwhere in a future collection/Omnibus. I don't read/understand Spanish, but even if they're not translated into English I still want these comics in my collection. As far as I'm concerned, they are official since they obviously feature the Droids & Ewoks in the SW universe, and are obviously based on the '80's Ewoks & Droids cartoons.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I must echo the awesomeness that is these coming to light probably only weeks after most of us were even aware of it's existence.

Halagad_Ventor and eddie1969 like this.
  22. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy friends,

Many Mexicans died to bring you this information.

I’d say it was something that gradually ballooned. Rich Handley and I eventually saw this as a kind of follow up to the Droids piece we did for Polyhedron many years ago. Rich is handling (ehe) the narrative of how this came about in an article for StarWars.com later this week.

Never say never. I'd say we ended up running down strong circumstantial evidence. Rich’s article will go into it in some detail.

That’s exactly how we felt. :) You’re welcome! And, honestly, without Adolfo Rodriguez and Eddie van der Heijden, it might never have happened. (See Eddie's part of the story here).

My strawfanboyman is cross-armed in chagrin.

Abel

23. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks to everyone involved in this! It's good to see the guys who brought some much needed attention to Droids in Polyhedron working on another Droids project. Hopefully someday we'll see some new Droids inspired art from Jeff Carlisle too. Here's an idea: how about an all new story with art by Jeff!

24. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Ha ! Couldn't agree more ! That article in Polyhedron is still one of my favorite articles. Somebody did try to hide it from the fans, but it didn't work ! I hope that one day we'll see a similar article for the remaining arcs and The Great Heep.

25. RichHandley

RichHandley Star Wars Author VIP

Mar 27, 2013
    Thank you, everyone, for your strong show of support for this project. My StarWars.com article about the strips should be posted sometime this week.

And thank you also for your kind words about my and Abel's Polyhedron work, including the pieces that never saw the light of day. There may yet be some life in those... but that's a story for another day. :)