main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #7, #15 & #20: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: The Last of His Breed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    JASON AARON (W)
    ISSUE #7 – SIMONE BIANCHI (A)
    COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY
    VARIANT COVER BY SIMONE BIANCHI
    SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    VARIANT COVER BY TONY MOORE
    ISSUE #8 – STUART IMMONEN (A)
    COVER BY STUART IMMONEN
    VARIANT COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY STUART IMMONEN
    ISSUE #7
    • A special one-off tale of Ben Kenobi!
    • Injustice reigns on Tatooine as villainous scum run rampant.
    • Will Ben risk revealing himself to do what’s right?
    • Guest Artist Simone Bianchi (WOLVERINE, ASTONISHING X-MEN) joins writer Jason Aaron for this special tale!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    This actually sounds interesting, though I guess the novel Kenobi already did it better.

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  3. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Shiny! Interesting that this is part of the ongoing instead of a separate one-shot. Maybe it introduces a character for a later issue in the "main timeline"? Or even opens the door the ongoing being more of an anthology series? [face_praying] Or maybe it's just their homage to Silent Drifting and I'm reading too much into it.

4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Or maybe it has to do with whatever was left in that 'For Luke' box at Ben's house we saw teased earlier.

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I guess that comparison can be made 1) after the book as is out, and they can actually be compared, and 2) if the one-shot attempts to do exactly what Kenobi intended to do (doubt it).

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Guess we will see ;)

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    All I can say is I hope it's going to be KRIFFING awesome.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Technically this will be Marvel's first canon comic featuring my favourite Star Wars Character (Kenobi):D

cwustudent likes this.
  9. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    according to Star Wars #4, Kenobi was a big pain in Jabba's side while he was in Exile on Tatooine so that's going to be interesting to see what exactly he did to piss off ole Jabby.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am definitely down with this because I really wanna see a Kenobi vs. Tatooine goony locals story.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Apparently White has said they are going to keep doing this, single issues between the longer arcs. I'm guessing he saw how great it works in another of the books he edits, Deadpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwustudent and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, I know, in this issue Obi-wan will fight a Tusken Raider-Jedi, humiliate him in combat and then exile him from Tatooine, which will in no way cause trouble for the galaxy later on. :p Though honestly, that part of Krayt's backstory always annoyed me (it made sense, just hate having Obi-wan unintentionally play a role in the birth of another galactic tyrant).

Wonder how much of a plan they have or they're just mixing in oneshot issues in between larger arcs. Still not interested to buy though.

cwustudent and whiskers like this.
  13. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Im very excited for this. A little skeptical as to whether they'll be able to tell a proper story in 1 issue, but I want it to work badly enough that I'll definitely get it.

14. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    well it would be interesting to see a Kenobi story after every major story arc (i remember reading that one of the writers or editors was a big fan of the Alec Guinness portrayal of Obi-Wan and wanted to do stories about his time on Tatooine).

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Next stop baby, I've always said it, this has been the issue I'm most excited for so far in the series! So close to it.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh easily. If you want to see how short stories are done, track down a copy of Future Shocks by Alan Moore.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Am curious over whatever happened to Stinky aka Punky Muffin aka Rotta. Shouldnt the Jedi or Tano have good relations with Jabba?!

18. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    The Hutts are basically the mafia of the SWU so their alliegiances are only to themselves.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I shall maintain that Jabba is just so cool that he actually remembers the novel Kenobi and is annoyed at him for what happened there ;)

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well of course law enforcement makes deals with criminals to further their own ends, its how life works. When I used the word relations not allegiance, for the Jedi am pretty sure Jabba would return a kindness and a dept the family owes as even with the actual Cosa Nostra there was a sense of honor. The Mafia was about upward mobility and going legit, a crooked ladder to get there .

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/11/crooked-ladder

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20064264,00.html

Maybe they'd make Jabba attempting to go legit, likely not perhaps not far fetched but depends on how far the writers go and really know their stuff . I think Xizor wanted something along those lines for himself and organization and he was working close with the Emperor. Even the Empire itself was a criminal government, they robbed, extorted and seized what they please they just did it under the law which they wrote. The Republic always had to contend with the underworld which the Jedi tried to contain or keep manageable however the war made it expand as their attention was focused on the war.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Jabba is not exactly just a mob boss, he is more something of a Warlord if you will, as he and the other Hutts are in fact the government in their part of space, whilst they just happen to also dabble in smuggling, slaving, gambling etc. in the galaxy at large.

22. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I really hope this ends up in a trade at some point, either with SW Vol. 2 or as a separate Kenobi trade (since we know we're getting a Ben's Diary Time issue between every arc). I was getting monthlies, but as part of ongoing financial negotiations with my fiancée, I have agreed to buy trades and save money. I'm very concerned that this will end up being a special kind of torture. Any advice from folks who wait for trades regularly? Do I need to drink more? Distract myself with kittens? Get the amount I'm saving in cold, hard cash and use it as a pillow to remind myself of the financial benefits of the situation?

23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I looked at that cover above and thought," Dead, dead, definitely dead, dead, that last one ran away" and then looked at Kenobi and thought "So Jabba's annoyed that he keeps running out of thugs and isn't willing to send Boba after him because Boba will take one look and say, "You aren't paying me enough for that!":D

cwustudent and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Am I alone in thinking Obi-Wan looks a bit like Luke with a beard? It definitely looks like a younger Alec Guinness but I can see a hint of Hamill.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    When's this actually out #6 never gave a date