main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Shattered Empire #1 (of 4) [Journey to The Force Awakens]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Aug 8, 2015.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    [​IMG]

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Great art! A-wings! Duros! A chance for an entirely new generation of fans to debate the Endor Holocaust!

4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    With this and Rebels, I'm noticing a lot of A-wing focus. Good. Keep the X-wings to a minimum.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    To be honest, I always liked the design of the A-wings better than X-wings. They're both cool, but the A-wing has that sort of sleek F-16 look with the bubble cockpit, the X-wing looks more old-fashioned, like a P-38.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'm always happy to see the Duros. Hopefully they will be a Rebel aligned (or at least sympathetic) species in the new canon as well. I spotted X-wings & Y-wings as well, plus a Neb-B. Oh, and a Mon Cal at the Endor party.

--Adm. Nick

Abadacus and Jedi Daniel like this.
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Did someone say something about Duros?

Have we compared them to the two in Chalmun's cantina yet to be certain?

COMPNOR, Aphra, SilentGuy66 and 3 others like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    On the subject of A Wings I'm guessing due to rebels that they are no longer new to the fleet at the battle of Endor

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Rebels may be the first to confirm it but I kind of think it was a foregone conclusion. Same with B-wings.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just wanted to make sure in case canon wise those rebels A Wings weren't technically the same as the models at Endor

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    They only made that explanation in the EU because it had been an error to see them earlier; that's why I think they're just cutting out the middle man and establishing that they've been around for a while.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm torn about that anyway -- on one hand, we only see them in ROTJ so it makes sense that they'd be new but on the other hand, the Rebel Alliance has no business with fancy new experimental starfighters. Their whole thing is that they're ragtag.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ironically, I think part of it is that they pointedly do not want to show them with X-wings just yet.

BobaMatt likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I do kinda wish they were using Z-95s both for the old school EU but also since it's a good TCW connection.

I understand why they haven't though: the A-wings highlight OT connections.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Y-wings would also make a good TCW-OT bridge, especially if they show up in a half-covered form intermediate between the fully faired Republic models and the naked ones we see at Yavin.

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Speaking of which, I'm curious to see whether they'll eventually transition back to the smoother, more complete Y-wing models to reflect their transition to a government not so desperate for equipment and resources.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's more likely that the Y-Wing would just be gradually phased out in favor of the B-Wing, which still seems to be the newest Rebel starfighter by far.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I never minded the old EU origin for A-wings and B-wings, as a sign of the Rebellion's growing momentum (since at Endor they're using multiple Mon Calamari cruisers, a far cry from just the transports used to escape Hoth), but if we can see more A-wings and B-wings earlier, I don't mind so much.

Nice interior art, it'll be interesting to see how much new stuff this series will have, or rather how much new info they'll be allowed to have in the lead-up to the sequels.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, forgot about those!

Yeah, they should be using Y-wings and Z-95s. That would've been wicked cool. I'm not really bothered by the A-wings because new canon is new, but now I'm disappointed at how cool it could've been.

Then again, anybody who's played the flight sim games would be immediately unimpressed by Vader picking on a bunch of Y-wing or Headhunter pilots :p sooooo maybe that's why.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, my gut reaction is to assume that all new SW material is made with XvT players in mind.

Kylun and Rogue_Follower like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well Rebels at least is clearly a WEG RPG Session ;)

Kylun likes this.
  22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah.

For that matter, it also would have been cool to see R-41s or T-Wings, or old Clone Wars ships in general, whether Republic (Arc-170s...though truthfully, I kind of want to see those in Imperial colors, preferably in a dogfight with an X-Wing) CIS (Belub-22 for the win!) or neutral (Starhoppers)

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think they're doing a good job of having Clone Wars-era vehicles on both sides in Rebels so far.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah I am also sure no one actually wants to see the PT fighter again. +shudders+

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Your lack of taste has been duly noted