main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #13: Vader Down, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I like how in the main DV series Aphra and her droids are portrayed as anti heroes however it looks like in this issue we'll see them for what they are.....villains who deserve the ass whooping they are sure to receive from Luke and co ;)

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Ha! Confirms for all time my thoughts that R2-D2 swears like a sailor throughout all of his appearances.

The2ndQuest and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Poor R2! Hahahaha.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Props for both the covers and interior art avoiding the Most Common Super Power.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    R2 brought a Knife to a gunfight.

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    There, I think this time it's working.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Some time later....

BT is trundling along, having just tortured a baby bunny to death and feeling happy.....

BLAM.

One precision turbolaser bolt later and BT's head is looking at his melted body and all its weapons are slagged.

In orbit, on board a Mon Cal cruiser, R2 has had his revenge.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How could anyone be so cruel to 000? What is he going to do without his best pal BT? :_|

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Suffer.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But that's so ... so mean. You should be ashamed of yourself, Ben. :p

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I'm just getting started.

Trust me, if it was up to me, those two droids would come to know terror and fear and pray to be de-activated so they no longer experience it.

Of course their 'de-activation' would be followed by an immediate trip to a smelter.

They're great characters, but they're a pair of psychopaths that ought to be dead.

LelalMekha likes this.
  13. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder what would happen if the rebel alliance ever captured Aphra and her droids......oh the scenarios that could occur........

14. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    Looking forward to this issue tomorrow.

15. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    What a fantastic issue! Essentially just one giant jedi/scoundrel/droid/dr/wookie smackdown! I loved how every character got their own moment and Triple Zero was hilarious "That was my dissecting arm!"

It seems Han has heard of Dr Aphra and she apparently has a reputation

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Didn't anybody tell Triple-Zero you need to let the Wookie win?

17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fantastic issue! Deodato is definitely my favorite SW Marvel artist yet.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This was a fun issue with some really great art. A little light on Vader though and I thought last issue had more of an emotional backbone to it. That cliffhanger is very intriguing.

19. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    OMG. the Wasp Worms scene. LMAO!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Curse you comic for bringing up my hope about the silly evil droid wonder twins actually getting destroyed and then not going through with it. [face_sigh]
    Otherwise, well it is the best issue of Vader Down so far, which sadly is still not saying much.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Got to pick up the issue last night, and have read it a couple of times. Really enjoyed it, and it's going to seem like eternity waiting three weeks for the next issue after getting issues weekly so far.

-The one-on-one battles were all well done and thrilling. You had Han vs. Aphra, 000 vs Chewie, BT vs R2, not to mention the little bits of Luke thrown in at key points.

-The 000 vs. Chewie was the most unexpected battle and the most fun. Chewie's such a force of nature that it's interesting to see someone be able to level the playing field somewhat.

-Han vs. Aphra was mostly satisfying, with some good back and forth banter at the beginning, but that conclusion was out of nowhere.

-As expected, it’s R2 who ultimately saves Luke, Han, and Chewie. Or at least gives them the chance to make a tactical retreat.

-In other droid news, BT is frightening. And 000′s dialogue continues to be 100% gold. But this was the highlight:
    Aphra: My droid here can route a fatal charge through his palms, quicker than you can blink!
    000: That’s me! Hello, Captain Solo! I’m quite looking forward to torturing you later!​

-Lots of good Aphra stuff in this issue. We get a hint at the reputation she’s built up over the years from the look on Han’s face when he hears her name. We also get to see more of her survival skills, as she acquits herself in a firefight nicely.

-I'm really invested in seeing where her story ultimately goes. I know a lot of people thought she would die when she was first introduced, but I think we passed that point in the narrative already. If Aphra was going to die, she would have when Vader nearly choked her to death. Now I think anything is possible, including her still being alive after RotJ.

-Loved seeing Leia as she gears up for to go out and personally take down Vader. You can't question her courage. That one panel where Leia and her personal detail hear person after person bite it over the radio, only for Leia to insist that they must go on... chilling.

-Was she too determined, though? A lot of people are dead, and all that ultimately got accomplished is her own capture. It'll be fascinating to see Leia and Vader interact again.

22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Wow, this issue was a blast! Explosive action (literally), fun dialogue, gorgeous coloring, everything I look for in a comic. Triple-Zero and Beetee are just the best. "Amateur-dismemberer" :D

Confession: I never warmed up to Aphra in previous arcs of Darth Vader -- no fault of the writer; just something wasn't clicking with me -- but I'm really quite enjoying her in Vader Down.

I'm glad it's Leia meeting Vader face-to-face again and not Luke, like I worried. I am extremely interested in how she will react to Vader's immediate physical presence. I'm really feeling for her here. Can you imagine how slammed with emotion she must be in that moment, the hot rush of anger, the fear?[face_nail_biting]Hopefully quickly followed up by that classic Leia fearlessness! Is she gonna pop off some shots at him? Or will someone or something interrupt them? Kick some shiny metal butt, Your Worshipfulness...

La Calavera likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I want to see Aphra meet up with Luke after ROTJ.

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yup, I hope my Luphra shipping comes true.

25. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Eh, I don’t want Aphra to become the Mara Jade of the new canon. Never been a fan of the “hot female villain turns good, falls in love with the good guy, male escapist character” type of storytelling. I would like seeing Aphra surviving the Skywalker Family Drama though.

Anyway, this issue was just as good as the others.

I loved the Aphra and the droids vs Han/Chewie/R2/Luke confrontation. Thought it was well done and every character had their own moment. My favorite parts:
    + Chewie ripping Triple Zero’s arms off. YES more of this please. It feels like this series is also trying to restore Wookiees’ long lost ANH reputation.
    + “If you were good you would’ve shot first.” Ouch. Aphra is not a fan of the Special Editions either.
    + Every line from Triple Zero.

Also, that cliffhanger. The way it was drawn and colored was gorgeous. Vader looming before Leia like a dangerous predator about to kill a vulnerable prey, and Leia just standing there, unmoving, surrounded by the corpses of her rebel companions. So much beauty in it.

“Good evening, princess.”

minnishe, SilentGuy66 and Senpezeco like this.