main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

After we had so much fun watching the 2015 traffic jam play out over the past year or two, it's now time (as pressured by certain folks :p) to look forward to 2016's box office lineup and performances.

Quick note off the bat: I'd like to keep the box office reports about The Force Awakens's performance primarily to the 2015 thread, even though we'll obviously be able to touch upon it here in the weekly totals as they become available. It just seems right to let the final tallies for that film fall in that thread since it was a key film influencing that thread;s creation in the first place.

Now, 2016 isn't as historically over flowing as 2015 was initially scheduled to be, but there are still many notable box office keystones to look out for to see how they'll perform. The biggest points being the perceived rivalry between The DCCU's Batman v. Superman and the MCU's Captain America 3 following the stand-off over the originally claimed release dates as well as returnining franchises like ID4, X-Men & Ghostbusters and new franchises like Warcraft and Assassin's Creed.

It'll also be the second time that a Star Wars and Star Trek film will be released in the same year (the last time was in 2002 with Attack of the Clones & Nemesis). Interestingly enough, they have roughly flipped their release dates this time around- in 2002, it was SW in the summer, ST in the winter; this time it's ST in the summer and SW in the winter.

Some key films over the course of the 2016, currently (obviously subject to change):

Jan: The Hateful Eight (wide release), Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, Ride Along 2, Revenant
    Feb: Hail Caesar!, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Deadpool, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt
    March: London Has Fallen, Divergent: Progressively Worse Trailers, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
    April: The Jungle Book, The Huntsman: Winter's War, Ratchet & Clank
    May: Captain America: Civil War, The Angry Birds Movie, Neighbors 2, Alice: Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse
    June: TMNT: Half Shell, The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Central Intelligence, Finding Dory, ID4: Resurgence
    July: The BFG, The Purge 3, Tarzan, Ghostbusters, Ice Age: Collision Course, Knights of the Round Table: Star Trek Beyond, Bourne 5
    August: Suicide Squad, Ben-Hur, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party
    September: The Popeye Movie, The Magnificent Seven
    October: Gambit, Inferno, Underworld: Next Generation, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    November: Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Great Wall, Moana
    December: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Assassin's Creed, Jumanji, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    TBD/TBA: Bad Santa 2

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    At first I thought this was a joke. I'm sure it will have the highest box office gross of all time-- thanks to IMAX and 3D ticket sales.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't know how I missed this but... there's a new Popeye movie coming?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm eagerly anticipating "The 2017 Box Office Blood Ocean."

Anyway, barring some surprise hit I suspect 2016 is going to be a pissing match between Batman v. Superman and Captain America 3. Hell, they've even sort of got the same premise.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    All the monies, worldwide, in order, top 5: Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice*, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them**, Star Wars: Rogue One***

*(I think coming out earlier in the year will let it have a good run at the top shot but Cap 3 & Dory will pass it later on in the year)
    **(Harry Potter brand is strong, been a few years since last Potter-verse / Wizarding world installment, the wait between will crank it up the cash machine)
    ***(okay, $ from this will trickle over in 2017 but you know what I mean. Definitely not making TFA level cake but certainly will make a bunch because Star Wars.)

I'd wager all 5 of those crack 1 billion worldwide.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    August is going to be a month of disappoint.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is the picture you used for the OP from Blade 2? If so, that's pretty much better than any of the films coming out next year.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    How dare you, Wocky. Will Smith and His Incredible Suicide Squad is coming out next year.

9. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001

April looks kinda lame too...

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind the OP's release list is only a partial list of releases- basically the major ones that jumped out at me. There could be ones I'm overlooking at first glance.

Well, it might be pushed by now. Genndy was directing it and they released test footage in the fall of 2014:

But apparently the changing of studio heads in the wake of the Sony hack resulted in conflicting visions for the film and Genndy is no longer involved. That will probably affect its release date eventually.

Close- Blade 1 opened with the blood rave shower (amusingly called "Bloodbath" on the wall).

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Popeye looks like an uncomfortable socially awkward rollercoaster.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, it's animated. That sucks then...

(I clearly have an overly soft-spot for what they tried to do having Robert Altman direct a live-action Popeye movie starring Robin Williams...)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well then, Rogue One I will see in theatres. And that's about it. Possibly Finding Dory if the kids want to see it.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is a Star Wars movie coming out less than a year after the previous one leaves theaters? Who wants to see a story that often?

15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Bloodshowers > Bloodbaths. Where's my loofa?

I can't say I'm particularly excited about most of these movies, but there are a lot of interesting storylines in '16. Who wins the comicbook movie crown, Batman vs. Superman or Captain America: Civil War? Star Trek: Beyond has been kept under tight wraps. How different will it be without Abrams behind the camera [Insert lens flare joke]? Will long delayed sequels like ID4:2 and Zoolander 2 find audiences welcoming or indifferent? Will all of the gender swap brouhaha help or hurt the Ghostbusters remake at the boxoffice? And how will the first live action SW film not part of a trilogy fare? The first Harry Potter spin-off?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because Disney wants to implement the Marvel formula- but instead of solo films (or other characters' solo films) providing subject variety between Avengers movies they're having these anthology films (which may occasionally be films about Solo ;)) provide that variety between the core Episode films.

Though SW has traditionally been more tonally consistent than the MCU, it has almost as much variety in subject matter (underworld, commandos, fighter pilots, space wizards, creature features, etc) to exploit.

But it's certainly going to be an interesting question to see if it'll play to audiences that way. Rogue One will be our first indicator as to that- as will any indication by LFL of any further anthology films beyond the initial three. Will they plan another trilogy to sustain the anthology films? Will they move to an anthology-only format? Or will they work some kind of break into there?

Though honestly I'm not worried about the one year gap between Episode 7 & Rogue One. The real test will be if audiences will get fatigued by the six month gap between Rogue One & Episode 8 as they shift to a summer release the following year...

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ones I'll likely see at the cinema:

Jan: The Hateful Eight (wide release), Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, Ride Along 2, Revenant
    Feb: Hail Caesar!, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Deadpool, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt
    March: London Has Fallen, Divergent: Progressively Worse Trailers, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Pee-Wee's Big Holiday
    May: Captain America: Civil War, The Angry Birds Movie, Neighbors 2, Alice: Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse
    June: TMNT: Half Shell, The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Central Intelligence, Finding Dory, ID4: Resurgence
    July: The BFG, The Purge 3, Tarzan, Ghostbusters, Ice Age: Collision Course, Knights of the Round Table: Star Trek Beyond, Bourne 5
    October: Gambit, Inferno, Underworld: Next Generation, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    November: Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Great Wall, Moana
    December: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Assassin's Creed, Jumanji, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

So about one per month, with November being the heaviest.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Maybe these people....

[​IMG]

AmySolo, TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pfft. Nerds.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Don't forget the Point Break remake in January! It is literally going to make hundreds of dollars.

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually Point Break comes out in Dec, a week after TFA. So it's pretty much DOA.

Everytime I see promos for it on TV, I expect the voice over guy to realize the film's fate.

"Stay tuned after the break for an exclusive sneak peak at Point Break... what? It comes out a week after Star Wars and you're seeing that instead? Oh, yeah, nevermind then. Just keep fast forwarding on your TiVo. My bad."

22. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    KEY:
    Can't wait for opening weekend!
    Might see this in the theater!
    Will probably wait for Vudu/Netflix if I see it at all!
    I have zero interest in this!

Jan: The Hateful Eight, Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, Ride Along 2, Revenant
    March: London Has Fallen, Divergent, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Pee-Wee's Big Holiday

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wait, their making another Pee - Wee movie?!

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I feel like your colours should be reversed. Or at least have green be movies you're going to see and red be the ones you're avoiding. :p

Coruscant likes this.
  25. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    You can scratch that Gambit movie for 2017. They haven't even started filming yet. Hell, I don't think they've even cast the movie aside from Channing Tatum. Does it even have a director?