main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #18-19: Rebel Jail, parts 3 & 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mods, I wasn't sure where else to post this so I decided to create a separate thread. If the whole "one thread for the whole series" thing is happening, feel free to merge this one with that.

BigAl6ft6, STARBOB and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I love absolutely everything about those pages.

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Heh, while I still think Han and Luke's plot this arc has been nothing but filler, that is some pretty good banter.

Ulicus and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Ah, non-elf Luke

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Only three more issues then we get the elite stormtrooper story......what's that? This arc? I don't care about this arc anymore I just wanna meet those elite stormtroopers!

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know this series is starting to wan for a me bit. Not as exciting as it use to be.

7. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    When you think about it, this series started off with the classic cast all fighting the empire together as a team (and it was awesome) and since issue #4 we've hardly ever had the main cast all together in the same room........

Giovs likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I want Luke to wear that jacket in Ep8. He'll be like "Oh I gotta be in public now better wear my nice ceremonial jacket, that's all I got on this island besides Jedi rags." And Leia will take one look at him and ask "Same jacket?" And Luke will answer "Same jacket." And then there'll be this awkward pause and she'll say "Burn it."

BigAl6ft6, SilentGuy66 and Ulicus like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Is that cover a riff on a Batman and Robin one? I'm sure I've seen that exact pose with Batman and Robin, but I can't find it. My google fu is weak.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, it's very reminiscent of one of the covers from The Dark Knight Returns-
    [​IMG]

(for those unaware, that is indeed a female Robin. Which means Leia is Batman :p )

11. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    What's the next cover going to be Leia swinging in mid air with Han tucked round her arm with the caption

THE SENATE MAY MOCK YOUNG PRINCESS LEIA BUT SOON THE EMPIRE WILL MARVEL AT THE REBELLION'S GENERAL LEIA!

vncredleader likes this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    ***Spoilers***

We don't get the reveal this week but whoever suggested that the enemy is
    Eneb Ray from the Star Wars Annual 001 is probably right. It is revealed that the masked man knows that Palpatine is a Sith Lord AND he is teaching Leia something she once taught him so I'd say it's fairly likely to the point that it wouldn't make sense if it was anyone else.

I wasn't a fan of Sana and Aphra fighting the ENTIRE issue, but I guess tensions have to be high between the characters so it feels like more is at stake, when we kind of know the outcome, especially with Aphra since she's the one I think most of us care about. If Sana dies in the next issue or two, I wouldn't be surprised or upset.

So the whole gang is back together on the prison (for the climax I'm assuming) save for Chewy. Where is Chewy? Is this when he's on Andelm-IV with Zarro?

13. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Well another possibility is:

Ezra Bridger. :p

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  15. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah, I think it was probably decided this would be a good place to put it. The story dynamic works well without needing to give Chewie something to do, and so to give him a break in the main series and have this be where his stand-alone adventure takes place makes sense.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This issue was a bit of a filler. Aside from the Luke and Han bit at the end I am not sure anything happened that progressed the story. Hm. Well I guess not every one can be a winner.

What I like: Aphra's evilness is really on display here, usually she seems more moderate than her counterparts.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It would have worked better with Vader in the Batman role in jmo

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Is it just me or does Leia continue to become more of a b**** every issue. Her walking carpet line has got nothing on
    EVERYBODY STOP YELLING EXCEPT ME!

fett 4 and DelRiego like this.
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    No, that’s how Leia is under stressful situations.
    Be thankful she never learned Force powers or she would be choking those two idiots. And then maybe Aphra would find herself a new crush.

Joking aside, I’m actually disappointed I’m not seeing enough snarky Leia comments in this arc. Loved that line though.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It is kind of like a daughter hanging out with Dad's new girlfriend, there are gonna be some issues

23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm just not taking to these new Marvel Star Wars comics very well. Now that we have
    Han gambling with Rebellion money, it seems they are just really tearing down the Han Solo character any way they can. It wasn't enough he was deep in trouble with the Kanjiklub guys in TFA (undoing his classic trilogy character growth), now the timeframe where Han is learning to be a better person (original trilogy) is getting stepped over as well.

I guess he is desperate with a massive bounty from Jabba that maybe he'll resort to shady things when pressed in a corner. Yet somehow the old Star Wars newspaper comics handled Han better, and had a better grasp of his friendship with Luke (Han saving Luke from Vrad Dodonna; Luke volunteering to scout the Executor's construction with Han telling him not to volunteer, only for Luke to give a backhanded comment that this gives Han a chance to court Leia without his competition, etc.)

Han also had a legitimate excuse that Crimson Jack stole his reward money in Legends (ironically written by Marvel). I don't know if this story point has been recanonized in Disney.

Aphra is a good character. But she is not good as Vader's sidekick. It totally ruins his "solitary" mystique when he constantly lets her hang around him. Things like scouting Luke's locations on Tatooine in the Darth Vader series--it is just massively out of character that Vader would let Aphra tag along.

24. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Seriously is it me or does Leia these days talk down to everyone whose not Luke or Mon Mothma?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    She's an aristocrat, what do you expect? Leia's used to being in charge, you do what she tells you.

We only really start to see a different side to Leia later on in ESB and then ROTJ.

That said, Archie Goodwin balanced her aristocratic tendencies with her other traits better, even though Classic Star Wars was set in the same time period.