main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

014 - Book III Part 1: Legend Lost

The art is very well done, and I liked how [redacted] and [redacted]'s story mirrored each other. No action, but good writing and art make this one of my favorites in the ongoing series.

The first few pages are a touching tribute to L'ulo with Poe telling the story of Obi-wan's body disappearing and that we are luminous beings, a story he heard when he was a kid. It's heavily implied that he heard the story from Leia which she must have told him after talking to Luke about the Force.

The story switches to Terex in a prison cell on a First Order ship in an Unknown Region. He screams for Phasma claiming he has information - the memory unit he cut out of C3P0. It is revealed that when BB-8 shocked Terex (last issue) that it must have erased it. Of course, the Resistance doesn't know that, nor do they know Oddy's location - something about a reconfigured escape pod. Also, Poe reminds General Leia that he needs to find Lor San Tekka, his original mission. Leia gets a little angry with Poe and orders that he is grounded until he figures **** out.

Back to Terex - due to his disobedience, he is scheduled to be sent to the mines. Similarly, Phasma tells Terex, like Leia tells Poe, to talk to her again when he figures **** out.

After meeting with his crew briefly, and looking at them tell stories of L'ulo, Poe figures it out that it's not about him or Leia, it's about everyone else. He meets with Leia and he and his team are ungrounded. She has a mission for them.

Similarly, Terex meets with Phasma after some reflection, hitting some major points, but sounding a little scatterbrained in his assessment of the situation. He says that control is more important than order. Phasma agrees and Terex is taken away. It is revealed that there is some sort of device on the side of his face (borg esque) making him subservient to Phasma. She has a mission for him.

Again, the art is very well done, and I liked how Poe and Terex's story mirrored each other. No action, but good writing and art make this one of my favorites thus far.

2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Finally new arts :) I prefer this better. Overall quite good issue, good speeches from both Terex and Poe. I was hoping he would say something more about the Force and the fact that he grew up close to to tree from Jedi Temple... hmm.. maybe they wil touch upon this in next few issues. That would be interesting...
    Leia talking about her being luminous soon got me wonder if they are starting to prepare us for her farewell in Ep VIII ;(
    Either way, looking forward to next issue!
    Btw, what happened to Terex? Are those implants similar to the ones Lobot had?

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't know how many issues are left in this series but I would have preferred if they'd given Terex a break. Hell why can't we have Poe go up against Phasma herself after all they didn't have any direct dialogue/ contact in TFA and it's not like her getting defeated by black squadron prior to TFA will damage her reputation when she's already been thrown in a trash compactor?

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I didn't like the art from the preview pages, but the full issue turned me around. It was particularly nice to get art for the FO Star Destroyer than didn't look like it was an iron, which has been my only complaint with Noto so far.

5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Well, after what happened with Terex and Phasma this issue I am a little worried about she has in mind for Finn. [face_nail_biting]

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Finally read the past two issues
    I am increasingly more tired of this book. It cannot figure out what it wants to be or what it wants Poe to be. Sometimes he is a very devil may care kinda guy, others he is easy going, and sometimes he feels a bit more like Rucka's very natural born leader who is more of a soldier. It feels like Soule wants to act like we have been watching a well mapped out and planned story unfold in a satisfying way when we really have not. Like L'ulo dying felt like nothing to me or Leia giving Poe a speech and having him rethink his life........for a scene and then come to a conclusion in an unsatisfactory way. it feels like Soule wants to hit certain story beats or action set pieces but has not real story he is trying to tell. I don't hate him by any stretch of the imagination but I think he is not the right guy for this book. I want Rucka back on Poe as soon as possible.

I did like the Jess and Poe scene though. That was the only genuine human moment in the issue to me. Consistently Jess has been the human element and that has made me kinda which she was the focus.

Also the new SD is cool.

I am really confused about the FO's role in the galaxy. So for the past two issues we have suddenly acted like the FO is seen as a sovereign nation and is just sorta around and they can't prove they are doing anything. I feel like that betrays the idea that they are a known terrorist group that hides in the shadows. The way Bloodline and Before the Awakening play it is like they are thought to be a small terrorist cell that no one takes seriously but here Soule treats them like they are the Corporate Alliance or something. they are just a heck of a lot less interesting in this than in Bloodlines, same goes for the resistance. I am feeling like Soule does not have much of an idea as to what to do in this era.

SienneRe, spicer and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order is meant to be a sovereign entity with its own laws and at peace with the New Republic. The Resistance is meant to be the terrorist cell. Why the First Order is angry at them attacking their territory.

The ending of Bloodlines is the First Order causes half the galaxy to secede.

BobaMatt likes this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait did half the galaxy secede? I thought they whee planning to but it was not like the actual military of the FO was a known thing. Sovereign state was a bad choice of words. My point is more that I dislike the FO playing politics. They have a puppet government but them being worried about shooting down NR pilots after they already have proven to have a Star Destroyer with weapons and a full military is futile. The whole reason they would spare Poe is cause they do not want the NR to know they broke the concordance but they already have and just did again, prove they are breaking it. They have a military force which breaks the rules. The point is the the FO is known to exist and be anti-Republic and likely terrorists, as well as breaking the concordance BUT the NR does not want to declare war cause they feel they are not a threat. Killing one NR pilot does not make them any more of a threat than say showing up with a mother flipping FOSD. Bleck forget that I will stick with just First Order Star Destroyer.

I honestly want an issue of this that is just a senate committee talking about the FO. Like in the Before the awakening novel they have proof they are corrupt and criminals, the NR just does not give a damn. I would love to see that first hand

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    What was that new SD? Was it an imperial-class?

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pics of the new SD?

--Adm. Nick

11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

MMM...I don' think that's it....

Go to about 3:44 to see the ship

13. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

No, what I showed was the new SD from this issue. However in the previous issue, the ship you meant was indeed featured. That specific capital ship is called a Maxima-A class.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maxima-A_class_heavy_cruiser

This new issue featured what I linked to though. It looks like an imperial-class.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah, the Centrist systems that were unhappy with the NR seceded after the events of Bloodline, and likely after the Jedi are killed and Luke vanished. They formed a government together and were joined by the remnants that had retreated to the Unknown regions after Jakku (Lost Stars). It's not really clear whether the remnants called themselves the First Order before the secession or only named themselves after their government was formed. It's also not clear whether there was a third faction that joined the First Order, that being the former imperial systems that did not join the NR but were abiding by the Concordance (ie, confining themselves to the boundary set down by the treaty).

They spare Poe because they don't want a war to start before they're ready, but perhaps more importantly, he's not their objective. Their intervention in the battle is to prevent a rogue element within their ranks from starting a war, and they've come to get him, not kill NR officers. I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting the NR to know they broke the treaty. The New Republic, as you're rightly pointing out, is choosing to take a blind eye approach to the FO. Partly because they don't consider them to be a military threat. The FO may have Star Destroyer, but it's not that the NR don't have ships of their own after all. The real threat comes from SKB, which we assume is why the FO are still biding their time and which is presumably making them cautious in the meantime. But also there are senators still in the NR working in collusion with the FO and using the 'warmongering accusations' to block action. It seems to me that their aggression is designed to provoke the creation of the Resistance, and they'll use the proxy war (if it can even be called a war, it's not clear how many battles they've fought against each other) to justify SKB.

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    good points though I wish more of this was stated outright. As it stands the FO and Resistance are still not fully explored as to what their role in the galaxy is. Like I said, a short story in Insider that is just a senate hearing would be fantastic. I want to know what the galaxy actually thinks is going on cause thus far we have only seen things from people who have intimate knowledge of the FO and what they really are. Do people think they are just a small bunch of harmless rabblerousers, do they think they are terrorists, do they think they are a new Empire of some sort? That would be fun to finally go in depth on.

redxavier likes this.
  16. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Absolutely with you on that. We've only got snippets at the moment and it would be great to have a full story with all the politics.

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe there's been a lot of internal retcons.

Vthuil and vncredleader like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Welp we got a Phasma book and that Star Wars on the Front Lines book coming out in the summer.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It is heavily implied that some of the Centrist systems are going to secede at the end of Bloodline, but a) we don't actually see it happen, b) we don't know that all of the Centrist systems seceded, and c) even if all Centrist systems seceded, Bloodline makes it clear that they do not make up half the New Republic, let alone half the galaxy.

vncredleader and Charlemagne19 like this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Propaganda Guide DOES confirm they seceded actually and were a massive chunk of the galaxy.

21. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    From page 93:
    Nothing in there, or the pages that follow, says anything about a "massive chunk of the galaxy". The New Republic was small by design. Many portions of the galaxy went their own way peacefully. The military arm of what became the First Order is spreading through the Unknown Territories and the Western Reaches, but there's no indication how much of that area they claim. The secessionists are a portion of the New Republic which governs a portion of the galaxy, and a small enough portion that the rest of the New Republic largely dismisses them.

La Calavera and vncredleader like this.
  22. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    We don't know the numbers, but 'small enough portion' is an interpretation as well, and one that ignores that the NR is dismissing the FO because of a combination of hubris and ignorance; they don't know the true extent of the FO's power and reach. Rather than like the Titanic and an iceberg.

Anyhow, seems like a relevant article given the recent discussion.
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/...raphic-look-post-galactic-concordance-galaxy/

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (splitting #14 comments into new thread for new arc)

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok issue for #15. The whole premise of this storyline really seems like filler though.

25. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Ehh.. the new issue was a bit like a filler Rebels episode.. supply run [face_plain]