main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

501st costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by bfarve18, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfarve18

bfarve18 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2009
    for the 501st costumes that have been approved wats the cheapest and easiest to make

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Imperial Technicians (Imperial Crew) are probably the cheapest to do, since it is correct boots, jumpsuit, belt and Imperial (officer's) hat. Depending on the version you are doing there is the compad, but that could be an optional item, anyway.

For a complete listing of the acceptable 501st costumes you can check out this Costume Resource Library (CRL) list. Here is the link:

http://www.501st.com/crl/index.php

For a listing for all of the detachments that cover the various costumes, go here:

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#detachments

There is a good start there.... I'd check in with the local garrison to you. Perhaps they can give you a helping hand, as well.

- Bill

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Biker scout is one of the least expensive. You still need the helmet and belt and blaster, but it has a minimum of armor and is more comfortable. And you can take the helmet off and wear the Imperial cap.

The more work you do yourself -- sewing, prop-making -- the lower your costs for any costume.

4. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    The TB was my first armor,

Let me say it was 750 Australian for the hard parts
    a further 250 - 300 for all the soft parts.

I know people who have gotten away with a royal guard / imperial officer for less than 200 - 400

5. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Exactly...

A good Biker Scout helmet will cost what would be the total sum of a basic officer or technician. A good Royal Guard helmet is about the same.

If you are looking for the least expensive 501st approvable costumes, they are officers and technicians.

- Bill

6. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    You mentioned a budget of $20 in another thread? Was 20 your actual budget, or a typo?
    If $20 is all you can spare right now, you will definately have to save up to do any of the costumes you desire. Not to get too personal, but how old are you? If you are under 18, you will have to wait to join the 501st until then. They have a strict age limit, mainly for liability reasons. But at least that will give you time to save up and assemble your costume.

I would definately look at ways to earn some money to increase your budget, as well as finding friends and family who can help with the sewing- either doing some work for you or teaching you to do it on your own. If a friend or relative is able to sew up any fabric parts for you, I strongly suggest doing them a favour in return- either do some chores for them, pay them something for their time, or something along those lines.
    Don't be like a friend of mine- always wanting something done, but never offering to pay for time or otherwise return the favor.

7. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    If he stated he had $5 for a Mandalorian helmet, and $20 for a Sith Lord costume, something tells me that he won't be old enough to join the 501st for a long time. This is not the kind of costuming budget that most realistic adults have.

8. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    True that. Even a cheap, store bought generic Halloween costume is gonna cost more than that. 501st is not for the feignt hearted or the shallow of pockets. Definitely not child's play either. It is more of a professional level costumers club for adults. My Officers uniform boots alone were more than $70 and my belt with buckle and greeblies was more than $20.

9. opt1muspr1me

opt1muspr1me Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2009
    During the debut of Star Wars The Old Republic, the members sported Jedi and Sith armor from the game. Do you any of you know any members of the 501st that would commission SWTOR armor?

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I know a handful of them have been selling their sets of TOR armor, but as it was a one time deal, the armor puller hasn't made any plans to keep making them.

11. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The other relatively cheap costume is the Tusken Raider. You can easily do that for <$300. Probably a LOT less... Plus they are sooo much fun!!!

[image=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/SbXNg2bx7iI/AAAAAAAAay0/oKpNvX7B7x8/s400/Tony_0034.JPG]

If you are looking for a tusken helmet, LMK. I can point you in the right direction.

12. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    This kid hasn't been back here since July 21st.He seems to have ended up as a bit of a Troll.

Can we please just let his threads die already?
    :rolleyes:

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL.

It's funny because you're complaining about how you want the thread to die and yet you post in it nearly a month after the last person. [face_plain]

14. MorenaSangre

MorenaSangre Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2010
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I was hoping for help on that TOR armor. Are there any resources on its design yet, or can anyone put me in touch with someone who actually owns a set for information? I've seen the pics online, but for someone new to armor, it's daunting. I desperately (and I mean that word literally) need a set of that armor for someone, and I'm lost as to where to even start. Can anyone help a costume noob? A PM would be great - I don't want to be obnoxious or clutter up the forums with sophomoric requests...

15. ohil

ohil Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2008
    I'd like to purchase some armor, I've tried to build stuff before and it was just a major failure and I wasted my money. So I'm looking to purchase some armor if anyone knows a person or a site I'd appreciate it.

Either a Storm trooper
    or a Republic Commando

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    As for TOR armor, I don't know of anyone still making any. A small group of SoCal 501st/RL made them by LFL's request for E3, but so far those are the only people I know who have them. You signed up on Sunrider, though, and sometimes someone sells their set off, so I'd keep checking there. :)

For Stormtrooper armour, I would check with your local 501st Garrison, as they would probably be able to get you better local deals. :)

17. MorenaSangre

MorenaSangre Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2010
    Thank you for the response...I'm working with a friend to see what we can do. This is her first time vacuforming, so we will see what happens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.