San Joaquin, CA 501st Mission

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MotherPalpatine, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have recently found out that tomorrow, Saturday, the 501st (I believe Northern Garrison) is going to be at the Valley Childrens Hospital and that some of our Bounty Hunters, Imperials, and pre-Imperials have been asked to attend.

Our own Lorenzo, who was just saying that he would like to join the 501st, was invited by a friend to this event to appear as Jango.=D= Still in need of a couple of other bodies he recommended Barry-Count Dooku-, and Derek in his Red Guard. They of course have a Vader and wouldn't even consider Jedi (For some reason they think of Anakin as Jedi. That is so wrong. The boy was Sith from the begining. He just needed a little push) Now if we had a Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper, or even a General .....[face_thinking]

Although I am happy for Lorenzo, I now dream of a day when the Jedi purge is over, and the Jedi have been purged and we have more Sith and Bounty Hunters.

Wait, I'm drifting.

Again I am happy for Lorenzo because this is something he has wanted to do and although he is a guest of the 501st, as is Barry and Derek, this could be an oppournity for him to get closer to becoming a member of that group. This could also lead to co-events for us if these guys make a good impression. We shall see.

I can't wait to hear what happens. Good luck guys.:*

A proud Sith Mother

An extra hug to my Sith Lord[:D] who just needs a push.[face_whistling]

2. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling

star 3
    congratulations, guys!

what an honor, make us proud!

3. Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well it came and went. I know I had a great time. The kids were all smiling from ear to ear amongst themselves...and I was smiling back behind that visor even though they couldn't see it, but I like to think they could feel it in the way we interacted with them.

And I'll even admit there was this one moment when I had to fight back tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

Each and everyone one of these kids were amazing and resilient and strong and beautiful.=D=
  4. MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [face_shame_on_you] ***Who said that we do not want to do charity work?***

Where to start?

Lorenzo put it well when he said that those kids were just amazing. I went as a "handler" to give a hand with costumes and guard items when others were busy. We did not even know that I could go until Friday and I almost choose to stay home.

Due to illness we ended up with only one Scout Trooper. His name is Scott and next week he becomes the leader of the Central California 501st Garrison. There was Darth Vader and R2 D2. The R2 unit was brought by R2 Depot, AKA Michael from Terra Bella. It was great and a joy to watch interact with the kids and adults. One mother spoke to R2 because her daughter insisted that her mother tell him how much she liked him. Michael did a terrific job controlling the sounds and movements so that it seemed to all that this mother and droid were having a conversation.

Count Dooku showed a very soft side and knelt to talk with the children. Several gave him hugs and probably learned that Sith Lords are not all bad and can even get misty eyed. Jango was a hit, especially with the older set and Lorenzo did his best 'Jango' poses with them for photographs. Derek came in his Red Guard and at first the kids didn't really know if he was real or not because he stood so still. Once he moved they came forward.

This visit touched everyone but I guess more so when they went back into the wards to see the children who were unable to come out into the main lobby where we had begun. I remained in the lobby area and did not go into the wards. R2 and I guarded clothing, bags, etc.

After all of this was over I spoke to one of the women in charge and she invited not only this group back but ourgroup as well. She would be very happy to see a band of Jedi come to visit, along with an Imperial or two. And Michael, the R2 builder, would love to join us.

I need to add that after we left the hospital we went to dinner and the seven of us spent 31/2 hours talking about Star Wars, costumes, Pirates, Monty Python, animals, beardedlady's, droids, lightsabres, cars turned into Star Wars ships, and waiters named Matt.

In short, it was a great day, bittersweet and memorable.

We need to do this ourselves.

Mother Palpatine

PS I hope that Lorenzo didn't get into too much trouble for being so late home last night, but it was Star Wars...:D
  5. mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling

star 3
    wow.

sounds like a very positive experience!

wish i could've seen the kids' faces.

6. Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The experience of seeing those children smile was worth every bit of trouble I could have gotten into. Now that we've made the necessary contacts, I can't wait until we start planning for a TCFF visit!:)
  7. The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sweet! What a great trip you guys had, I'm totally jealous.:D

...Do you think the 501st needs an Arthur Dent?
  8. MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan

star 4

...Do you think the 501st needs and Arthur Dent?

Yes, they do. And a really good cup of tea./>/>
  9. Scottrooper Jedi Youngling

Hi there folks. My name is Scott Simpson, I'm the 501st member who attended the hospital visit with several of you yesterday, and I wanted to swing through and thank you for the warm reception you gave me.

Excellent costumes all around, and you did a wonderful job with the kids.

Michael McMaster (R2) put everything together and I think things did go very well. Not sure who said "no jedi" though, that's kinda strange, it's always good to have the heroes and the villans together..

Anyway, I enjoyed working with you at the hospital, look forward to seeing some of you again next weekend at Wondercon, and will anticipate having the chance to build some stronger bridges between the Tulare County Fan Force and the Central California 501st Garrison

MTFBWY,
    Scott
  10. MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think the "No Jedi" was a misunderstanding in communication but it did go well, nevertheless. Several members have expressed an interest in going the next time,(there will be a next time) so expect Jedi, Imperials, Bounty Hunters, and Scout Troopers. Yes, Scott we expect to see you there also along with your wife.

It was great getting to meet you yesterday and I know the Wizard/Dooku and I look forward to seeing you again.

Until next week,

Mother Palpatine
  11. R2-Depot Jedi Youngling

Wow, what a blast! R2 is still all hyper from the experience, as well as Vader! I discovered that the Jango costume is much more involved than I ever imagined...and I thought Vader was complicated! Thanks to everyone that came, we were complimented several times on our professionalism and respect for the kids and families. Our next visit will be even better! Also a special thanks to Barry, for explaining the finer points in saber construction, as well as english "slang" ;) See you all at Borders!

-Michael
  12. darthkharl Jedi Youngling

I'm Kyle McMaster (Darth Vader), from Terra Bella, CA. I had a great time Saturday, the whole experience was worth it.
    I hope we can do something like this again soon. I would like thank everyone who showed up, I had a blast :) .

Hope to see everyone soon.

--darthkharl--
  13. Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I have to admit though, R2 won the hearts of the crowd early on.

...and I do need to find an easier costume to get into.

Good to see the three of you grace the boards here with your presence!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.