main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

501st / Rebel Legion Event in Preston, ID

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi all,
    There will be a parade in Preston ID this Saturday, Aug 2. The Alpine Garrison of the 501st will be in the parade, and we have been invited to join them. Anyone with a costume is invited to join them in the parade (they'll be riding on a truck, not walking). In addition, there will be a sidewalk sale, carnival, and a potluck lunch at Shane's house.

For more info check this thread on the alpine garrison message board:

http://alpinegarrison.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=107&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f4d0294f65af2d266dc19e579ad200bb

2. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Exactly how far away is Preston from here?

3. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Mapquest says 117 miles

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I just wanted to let everyone know how this went. We ended up with 7 of us going: Doug, Erik, Adam, Cory, Nick, Levi, and Jaiden. We arrived at Shane's house in Preston at about 2:30pm (after a quick stop at a grocery store to pick up stuff to share). We arrived at about the same time as the 501st folks from SLC, so the first thing we did was unload. Man, the 501st guys had a lot of stuff! After unloading and introductions, Shane gave us a quick tour of his Star Wars room, which is chock-full of Star Wars goodness.

Soon after, we began grilling burgers and hot dogs in Shane's backyard. This was a great visit, and it really felt like we'd know these folks for years! Shane and his Wife Julie were very kind to open their home to all of us. After a great meal (including a Boba Fett Jell-O mold), we all began gearing up for the parade, donning costumes and decorating the trailer. In all we had about 22 people on the float. From the 501st there were:

Stormtrooper
    Darth Vader
    Biker Scout
    Imperial Officer
    TIE Pilot
    Darth Maul
    Wampa

From our group:
    Doug as a Jedi
    Cory as a Jedi (in loaner costume from the group)
    Nick in X-Wing Pilot (another loaner costume)
    Erik as Sidious

And last but not least, Shane's wife Julie as Padme (in the white battle uniform BEFORE the shirt gets torn, with the cape-thingy).

In addition to the adults there were bunches-o-kids in costume, including jedi, a jawa, 2 Amidalas, a podracer Anakin, and more!

Everyone looked GREAT! All of the costumes were top-notch, near screen-quality!

The parade started around 6pm, and for a while we thought it was going to rain on us. But it cleared up and got hot and muggy. I was only in jedi gear and I was hot, I felt really bad for Wampa!
    Preston is a town of about 4,000 people, and I think every last one of them was out for the parade! We had a GREAT response! The crowd loved us! Wampa was a big hit with the kids, as were Darth Maul and Darth Vader (although a few kids were a bit scared of Vader, he's big!) and people even threw candy and CHOCOLATE MILKS back at us! Occasionally the float would stop, and people were jumping up on the trailer with us for photos with all of us. We even had some (I think) somewhat drunken cowboys from the bar get up to pose with Wampa for a pic! The parade wound through town for quite a bit, and at the end of the route folks were handing us all popsicles! What a cool town Preston is!

Shane, Shawn, and the rest of the 501st guys were WAY COOL, and really made us feel welcome! I think I speak for everyone when I say that we had a GREAT TIME!

We got back to Shane's house I think around 8:30 or so, and began packing up to leave. We left Preston around 9:15pm or so (after a slight mishap with a trashcan) and got home at 11:15pm.

I'll try to have pics and video for the meeting Friday! For those of you that missed it, I'm planning on going next year if they appear in the parade, so join me next year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.