main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

59 year old guy to play NCAA Div. III football

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    story

ALPINE, Texas -- Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

One of his pals asked why he didn't do something about it? So Flynt started a comeback -- at age 59.

Flynt has returned to Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas, 37 years after he left -- and six years before he goes on Medicare. And, he's has made the roster of the Division III Lobos and could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt enrolled in graduate school so he can take advantage of his final semester of Division III eligibility.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates. His youngest child just started at the University of Tennessee.

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, just getting into a game likely will make him the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than mid-40s.

And with around 200 pounds on a 5-10 frame, about the only visible difference from his playing days is a shaved head. He's in tremendous shape for his age because he's made a living out of working out.

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, Flynt has spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. He recently taught it to some of the military's special operations forces, keeping up with them in their workouts.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

All the old jokes in Rocky Balboa are coming back to me... :p

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Neccessary Roughness Part 2: Chris Wienke

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina had a 39/40 year old WR for a couple years not long ago... but 59? Dang. Still, 39 is pretty impressive for making the team at a Div I school in a power conference, even if he didn't really play.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is awesome. When I saw the headline, I was hoping it was my alma matte. Oh well.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    This gives new meaning to Texans and their football....

6. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    This is awesome! Loved your post Eeth!

7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Awesome. I hope he doesn't get killed out there. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.