main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gd Rapids, MI 6/24 - FYE Charity Event Great Lakes Crossing- Auburn Hills

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by BlastyTrooper, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlastyTrooper

BlastyTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2003
    EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT

I'd like to invite our GR FanForce friends that want to costume this charity event over in Auburn Hills. We'll be going to after and maybe seeing a movie. See thread in R2-Detroit boards: http://boards.theforce.net/detroit_mi/b10158/23589650/p1/?2

What: Charity Event taking pictures with the public and Kids area

When: Saturday, June 24th- time TBD (2 pm to 7 pm?)

Where:
    F.Y.E. store at Great Lakes Crossing Mall
    4000 Baldwin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326
    1-877-SHOP-GLC

Who:
    Susie- RL- Princess Leia
    Lita- RL- Padme
    Steve- FF- Jedi
    Michael- RL- Jedi
    Shannon- GR FF- Jedi
    Rob- RL- Jedi
    Christine-Detroit FF- Jedi
    Todd- Detroit FF- X-wing Pilot
    Luke- MWG honorary trooper- Jawa

Phil- MWG- Vader
    Godfrey-MWG- Vader #2 & surprise costume
    Matt S.- Grand Rapids FF- Count Dooku
    Dave- MWG- Boba Fett
    Blasty- MWG-AT-ST Driver

Martin- MWG- TIE Pilot
    Roger- MWG- ?
    Brooke- MWG- Stormtrooper
    Doug- MWG- Stormtrooper
    Brent- MWG- Sandtrooper

Jason-Bloodfin- Sandtrooper
    Jeff- MWG- Clone
    Brad- Bloodfin- Biker Scout
    Josh- Bloodfin- Sandperson

Rome- MWG - Print Master
    Lori- Photographer
    Blasty's cousin and aunt to help from SCAMP

Maybes:
    Tim- Canadian G- Imp. Gunner
    Belinda-MWG- Officer/Non-costume support
    Barry- MWG- Stormie/ Bail??
    Scott-RL- Qui Gon

Directions: GLC is just South of I-75 between exits 83 (Joslyn Rd) and 84 (Baldwin Rd)

FYE is willing to let us have another charity event in their store. I think the end of June works best to have time to promote it. I'm going to contact GLC to make sure the event is listed in their newsletter.

The last event was a smashing success with us raising over $500 for Make-A-Wish Foundation in just 4 hours. The only drawback was that we couldn't print the photos fast enough. I think if we have one person designated to take pictures, one just printing pictures (on at least two printers) and another taking the donations, things will run more smoothly.

The Kids Activity Area was a blasty good time and always busy. If Carolyn, Dan or anyone else that likes working with kids wants to help, please post so. I still have the giant coloring books, and in the process of getting more Activity Books printed.

This would be an event we could use two Vaders at also.

UPDATE 6-21-06

I want everyone ready in costume by 1:30 for a quick talk about the event. So plan on getting there around 1:00. I will be there around 11 a.m. If you want to show up early and help out, please do.

Changing Area: FYE doesn't have enough room, so we have to change in the bathrooms or maybe a tuxedo place. They have a family bathroom with enough space for 3 troopers to get dressed comfortably.

Bucket rules: Buckets are to be off when outside the store. So traveling back and forth from the changing areas you need to have it off. When entering FYE, keep it on.

Kids area: Anyone that wants to help out with kids, please speak up. Also, there is a good chance many special need kids will be there. Some may be really shy, while others may do/say things that are inappropriate. Do NOT engage in any inappropriate behavior with them! This is an event where interacting with the kids you better be on your best behavior. Anyone not following along, will have to deal with me. (And you won't like me when I'm angry!)

Here are the locations we need people and who I'm thinking of assigning there:

In the Photos:
    Vader, Leia, Boba, two TK/TDs, two Jedi, Clone, and Jawa

Phil and Godfrey- If you can do 1 hour and 20 minutes each, instead of an hour, that will be one less changing of clothes. Start with Phil as Vader, Godfrey for the middle 80 minutes, and end with Phil.

Holding signs at the two FYE Entrances:

Two Jedi and two TK/TDs. Jedi and tro

2. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    thank you Blasty! Since this is not a week/work day this time I think I can make it - will connect with the GR group.....cool cool -

3. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    I would like to go but I have to work until 5:30 on saturday's.

4. Count_Scoobith

Count_Scoobith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    So cool, ... I should be able to make it to this one. :D

I'll keep checking for updates on this one.
    I'm about 85% sure you can count on Count Dooku making an appereance. :cool:

5. LeiaSkywalker4

LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Just ask them if Jabba can have the day off. Thats okay I have a conflict going on with this day, so I will see what I'm going to do when the day gets closer. But I want to go.:_|

6. BlastyTrooper

Apr 21, 2003
    We have a Boba Fett committed to this now. :D

Also we've decided to raise the money for SCAMP. =D= SCAMP is a summer day camp for individuals with special needs (disabilities) Approximately 90% of our SCAMPers have one or more disabilities (autism, mental and/or emotional impairment, learning disability, speech and language delay, or physical handicap). The remaining 10% are identified by school personnel as students ?at risk? and in need of a positive summer experience.

7. the youngest SCAMPers are 3 years old and we have no age limit on the opportunity... last year the oldest SCAMPer was 43

8. While a tuition amount is in place, no child is ever turned away for
    financial reasons. The cost of SCAMP is actually $880.00 per SCAMPer.

9. Highlights from their website ( http://www.clarkstonscamp.com/ ):

For thirty years SCAMP has provided recreational activities and academic support for multiply impaired children and young adults.

Our benefactors have witnessed the impact of how the SCAMP program has been a dream come true for so many families. In the words of a SCAMPer mother, ?SCAMP changed me, my daughter, and our lives forever. Knowing there is a place for her in society where she can be herself, with no judgment, is a true blessing from God. I hope that all of the contributors to SCAMP realize how many lives they have touched in so many ways.?

10. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    Well id love to go along...alas...transportation is an issue, maybe if someone from here is goin i can tag along :p

11. Count_Scoobith

Count_Scoobith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm sure if a group of us are going we could pick you up. ;) I really want to make this one, I might be able to pick you up Jaareth, if you don't mind riding with a sith. [face_devil] ;)

Edit: PMED ;)

12. BlastyTrooper

Apr 21, 2003
    Here is an updated list of those costuming:

Susie- RL- Princess Leia
    Lita- RL- Padme
    Steve- FF- Jedi
    Michael- RL- Jedi

Phil- MWG- Vader
    Godfrey-MWG- Vader #2
    Dave- MWG- Boba Fett
    Blasty- MWG-AT-ST Driver
    Martin- MWG- TIE Pilot
    Dan- MWG- TIE Pilot?
    Brooke- MWG- Stormtrooper
    Jaster- MWG- Stormtrooper/maybe Gree
    Doug- MWG- Stormtrooper
    Brent- MWG- Sandtrooper
    Frenchy- MWG- ???

Rome- MWG - PrintMaster
    Lori- photographer

All costumers should be ready to go at 2:00. We will meet at 1:30 for instructions and introductions.

13. Jaareth

Feb 23, 2004
    Anone from GR headin to this? id like to tag along :)

14. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    Sorry J. you would be welcome to tag along with me but I'm now heading out to LA for the unofficial Star Wars Day at Disneyland...
    This sounds like a great opportunity for costumers plus $ raised for charity. and a chance to bond with the Detroit FF -

Hope we have many GRFF participants.

15. BlastyTrooper

Apr 21, 2003
    I've updated the first post and added all the costumers going now.

16. Jaareth

Feb 23, 2004
    well tag me on that list bud! shannon is gettin out early enough and is giving me a ride :p so one more jedi on the way heh heh. Not sure when we/i will arrive but ill be there :)

17. BlastyTrooper

Apr 21, 2003
    Thanks to all that helped with this event. =D= And to those that tried to make it, but had other issues come up.

The mall was rather slow with it being 80 degrees and beautiful outside. Plus all the graduation parties people have in June. We ended up raising $436.52 for the Bloomfield and Clarkston's SCAMPS. All in all, in was a very successful day. [face_dancing] I dropped off the check to the Clarkston SCAMP and ran into some of the autistic kids I worked with at their high school. It was great seeing them and one gave me a huge hug. :D

FYE has already suggested we come back for the DVD release in Sept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.