main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

60 minutes article on gaming

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I was watching 60 minutes last night, and they had a segment which was taken from the American version of 60 minutes (I live in Australia).

The segment was about gaming, in particular, the growing trend of adult gaming, ie: The Sims, Sports Simulations, BMX XXX, etc...

One of the great, fascinating things that they showed was the reporter having his face scanned, and then he was suited up in a special outfit that was linked up to a computer (ie: how CGI is made, just like Gollum in LOTR), so the reporter was basically motion captured into a baseball game.

This is fantasic technology.

I wonder when this will be available to the general public.

Ie: you can scan yourself into a sports sim, ie: basketball, baseball, football, etc... or an action / adventure / spy - stealth game.

I think it would be awesome to be able to scan yourself in, and for example, play basketball against Shaquille O'Neal.

If this technology was widely available, I believe it would be surefire hit, as I imagine that literally millions of gamers would love to literally play as themselves.

What do you think?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, I'm pretty sure MoCap is used pretty widely in many games today, but not to the extent you're talking about.

I didn't quite understand, though, he was motion capping himself in realtime with the game? That's pretty odd.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > If this technology was widely available, I believe it would be surefire hit, as I imagine that literally millions of gamers would love to literally play as themselves.

[image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/jpskin5.jpg]

4. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    OMG jp, yuo are so hawt.

roofle

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    jp's a funny guy.

6. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    correct me if I am wrong...but isn't Tony Hawk 5 going to use something like you are talking about by putting players faces on their skater?

Forcebewitya!

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    That's been going on for ages.

I remember in like NBA Live 2000 you could do that.

Dunno, not so revolutionary, I think.

8. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    any EA sport game from 1999 on had this feature, shock and awe not so big of a hit.

why? because it was still to much work for the average person.

[color=indigo]If you want to ask Gatherer personal questions, use PMs please.[/color]

9. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Hes talkin about something else Sithman.

Just read that in Tony Hawk Underground (5)if you e-mail a pic of your face to Neversoft (dev. of the game) they will import your face into one of your characters via PS2 network adaptor.

I think its pretty revolutionary ;)

10. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    HEY LOOK A DOUBLE POST!

11. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Nintendo was going to have it where you could take you picture with the Game Boy Camera and upload it to Perfect Dark. Then they worried the kids would put there teachers or parents in the game to shoot, and this would allow Satan to escape Hell.

12. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I realise that technology has been around for about 3 - 4 years now that lets you put your face in the game, but what was shown in this segment was true motion capture, of your body movements, etc... capturing your unique style, ie: swinging a bat, shooting a basketball, throwing / kicking a football, etc...

13. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    "Then they worried the kids would put there teachers or parents in the game to shoot, and this would allow Satan to escape Hell."

Oh good Lord, people are pathetic these days.

So...the next step after this is VR games...then on to the Holodeck...;)

Seriously, though, I always thought the Holodeck in ST would be like the ultimate gaming expereince.

14. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    "Then they worried the kids would put there teachers or parents in the game to shoot, and this would allow Satan to escape Hell."

I wouldn't blame Nintendo totally. The game came out not too long after Columbine, and with the media looking as hard as they could for reasons to blame violence on videogames, I guess Nintendo just decided that they wouldn't give more reasons for the media to attack them.

It would be nice if the media started blaming the real culprit behind violence in kids; the parents. [face_plain]

15. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    We have teh technology to create a holodeck.

However, the international conspiracy of the womenfolk has prevented it from being developed, since obviously men will never want to leave such a magical and wonderful place once it is created.

16. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    [face_laugh] so true 1stAD :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.