main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 60+ Years of James Bond 007

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    The car stunt...if it's the one i'm thinking of, was in Die Another Day territory. I got a chuckle out of it as a kid, but it hasn't aged gracefully.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Considering it changes sides, too...

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    In fact it felt like something out of 1960s Batman more than it did James Bond. That's how I remember seeing it the very first time I saw it. That actually sums up the whole film for me - Bond goes 60s Bats.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It's the first Moore movie in a lot of ways.

The worst thing is not just how stupid and lame it is and how badly it's aged, but also that the movie after OHMSS should have been a very intense and hard movie. Instead, it was pure camp.

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I think it actually was meant to be Moore's first film? Or Lazenby's second film...

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Neither. They panicked after Lazenby left and went back to formula. Hence why Peter Lamont wasn't directing.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  7. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    appleseed: Licence to Kill serves as a pretty effective continuation to OHMSS. Leiter experiences his own honeymoon horror, inducing an older, taciturn Bond to unleash his unholy fury on a living, breathing Blofeld.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, Bond working people over at the very beginning to find Blofeld was reasonably well done. The payoff was lacking, though.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    you mean Peter Hunt ?

DAF was very much a comedy , but I enjoyed it so much as a kid , and still do . and c'mon that score is lush .

Ender Sai and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    This was played during the pre-show before tonight's Rifftrax live remote:

11. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    How the hell could Connery appear healthier and more virile in The Rock than in DAF? Forget Blofeld--a more appropriate villain would have been the Hamburglar.

dp4m likes this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I think it has to do with the fact that whomever was in charge of his costume and makeup for his films...say mid 1980s and onwards...actually dressed him appropriately for his age. In DAF they were still trying to sell as 41 year old Sean Connery as a 35 year old 007. Didn't quite work out. But once he did stuff like The Untouchables or even The Last Crusade, he looked the best he had in a long time because the aesthetics of his age actually fit his character.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Captain Marko Ramius >>> DAF Bond

14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    the grooming is terrible on DAF , you can see hair growing out of Connery's nose .

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hunt.

But yeah Hamilton came back because Cubby wanted Goldfinger II. The original concept was that the villain would by Goldfinger's brother as well, and if memory serves it would have been John Gavin in the role until Connery was coerced back.

Hamilton though is less responsible for the tonal shift - Tom Mankiewicz left his stamp on that and the subsequent two films and it took Christopher Wood and the departure of the now-bored Saltzman to right the ship.

I have mixed feelings on Mankiewicz - some of the humour is genuinely darkly funny and taps into Fleming's weird side perhaps more effectively than Maibaum ever did, but the idea of James Bond being a celebrity (which is evident in all three of those films) and the heavy reliance on RACIST COMEDY SHERIFF to say nothing of plot developments that can't even dupe you on a surface level (such as Yip's non-rescue from the karate school) make it pretty much the nadir period for the films, or at least strong competition for Brozzer's post-GE run.

16. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    I actually think the Hamilton/Mankiewicz approach suited Moore as perfectly as Young/Maibaum did Connery. LALD and TMWTGG are colorful, bon mot-laden, low-stakes adventures, depositing the Adam West of James Bonds into the world he belongs. Hop-scotch alligator escapades? Voodoo princes and hot clairvoyant virgins? Homicidal dwarves? Perfect Saturday afternoon viewing, and a far, far better match-up for ol' Rog than the bloated pseudo-epics TSWLM/MR or the earthy FYEO.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    DAF is a real trainwreck. It's notable for a few things. That car stunt is incredibly stupid. It has the worst Blofeld imaginable; at one point, he effects a southern drawl and refers to Bond's pistol as a "hogleg." Right. Mr. Wint & Mr. Kidd are just gobsmackingly terrible. I mean, they're so awful that they're kind of brilliant. The movie really crosses into "so bad it's good" territory when they're on screen. They're just unbelievable. Like you feel like you're dreaming when they're in the movie. So weird.

Jill St. John is far from my usual type and she's a horrible actress, but she's sexy as hell in this movie. I mean, gorgeous. And that theme song is so good. Great, actually.

JEDI-RISING and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005

Well, if your definition of suiting him is "He's terrible and they were terrible," yes. If you mean, "Managed to suit itself to Moore's sensibility and still be watchable," I think The Spy Who Loved Me is the clear winner on that front. FYEO is a misplaced Dalton or Connery movie that Moore got stuck in, sure, but TSWLM is the only Moore Moore movie that's not absolutely dire.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I love TSWLM, it's one of my favourites. Partially due to having it echo YOLT (in the sense of villain plot trying to start a war between the US and USSR, with an epic showdown in the villain's lair as the climax) and that's my all-time favourite. Love the opening too, though for years afterwards I would have nightmares about my parents being gunned down while skiing.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Echo?

It is YOLT, under the sea.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I love Wint and Kidd , they're such great killers , they put some imagination into their murders .

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... with 54497543853% less racist yellowface too. :p

I, also, put the Union Jack ski jump as the second-greatest physical stunt of all time.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You mean the scene where, in order to get close to Blofeld's lair, he has to pass as Japanese?

This is not racist yellowface, but it is proof of why centre right US "progressives" are ridiculous.

Lord Vivec, I found your ESPN Robert Lee audience.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol @ Ender's refusal to admit casual racism.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's plenty of racism in the books, and some (though less) in the films. Go read Live and Let Die and get back to me on casual racism.

The issue, my Thatcherite friend, is that in this instance Bond needed to go undercover in a Japanese fishing village in order to have a plausible reason to get close to the island. That is how they discover the underwater entrance/cave with its noxious gas.

It's not dissimilar to the novel's approach, where Bond impersonates a mute Japanese miner to get entry to "Shatterhands'" castle; his skin in dyed, hair cut a different way, etc.

Like, I don't know if you simply weren't paying attention or, in order to maintain your membership of the conservative Democratic party you have to make hysterically inane comments about race you saw an opportunity to earn credibility points with other like-minded tories so you leapt at it, but it's a fairly stupid comment. This is not Mr Yunioshi. There was not an acting role here that could have gone to a Japanese actor and didn't. Bond. Had. To. Become. Japanese.

Seriously. It wasn't even intended as a racial parody; if anything, the film was downright in awe of Japanese culture (though the novel is no better in this regard either).