main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 60+ Years of James Bond 007

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    The bond books are the 1 of the 2 first books I ever read. Harry Potter and James Bond. My dad introduced me to both when I was 7, although when I got older and re read them without my dad's help I fell in love with them all over again. The bond books and movies are wonderful, I completely agree with you on that.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Especially the Sesper bit is just so spot on ;)

yankee8255 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    If I remember correctly, either Gene Siskel or Roger Ebert once figured that Denzel Washington would be good in the role. I think this may have been back in the period between Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Americans cannot and should not play James Bond. Ever.

Moreover, I am not of the view that Bond should be played by a black actor. I'm sorry if that offends people; I am very fundamentalist in my view of Bond and that does not include altering the character's sexuality, ethnicity, or nationality.

I've heard the argument that making Bond black, for example, gives black people a positive role model. Rubbish. Stupid argument.

1) Bond is a killer, a cold blooded assassin with repressed emotions and habitual sexism. This is not a role model.
    2) Are you telling me I couldn't have enjoyed and wanted to be like Axel Foley growing up because he was black and I'm white? You are, if you think Bond should be black.
    3) Whilst it's adorable that you want to shoehorn an agenda into these films you're doing it for shock and novelty value, aren't you.

OK, I'm done. For now.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Beverly Hills Cop was originally supposed to be a straightforward cop movie, with Nick Nolte as Foley. Nolte had a conflict, recommended Murphy after working with him on 48 hours.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm just saying, there's no good reason James Bond should be anything but a white Englishman. None. If you want a black, American, bisexual, Jewish secret agent, get a Conway Stern film made. Because I will THROW MONEY AT IT if you do.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    And I agree with you completely agree with you, just felt like throwing out some unrelated trivia out there.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    TMZ is saying that Richard Kiel has passed away.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, it's correct that Richard Kiel has passed away.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Mark your calendars. Set your alarms. Principal photography on the 24th James Bond film will begin on December 6th, 2014.

Filming Bond 24 is starting a month later than 'Skyfall', which lensed on November 3rd, 2011.

Director Sam Mendes will assemble the main cast members in late November for a table read-through of the shooting script at Pinewood.

Bond 24 will be Daniel Craig's fourth outing as 007. He will be joined by Ralph Fiennes as M, Naomie Harris as Eve Moneypenny, Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner and Ben Whishaw as Q who are all reprising their roles.

The casting process for the Bond Girls and villains is taking place now. As MI6 previously reported, the villain's henchman in Bond 24 is planned to be a classic physically imposing character who has several altercations with Bond throughout the mission.

Many Scandinavian actresses have already been tested for a minor Bond Girl role, and MI6 understands the leading female role will be British.

Location shooting will take place in Austria (replacing Norway), a car chase in Rome, and a possible sequence in Morocco. Pinewood Studios in England will once again be home to 007 for studio filming."

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140913-start-date-confirmed?t=&s=&id=03751

GGrievous likes this.
  13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    "A classic physically imposing character..."

I doubt anyone could top Robert Shaw's Red Grant (FRWL), but then the Craig era has managed to excel in every other facet, so here's hoping.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought everyone hated the camp of the Moore era?

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd like to see Daniel Craig's Bond wrestle a Shark while free-falling from an aeroplane.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He's too much of a wuss.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Or a crocodile. And then ride it to safety.

V-2 and soitscometothis like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd like to see Craig's Bond just sit down and have a cup of coffee and read a book. That's the whole movie. If only Andy Warhol were still alive.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No they're going for a more realistic take, so he's going to spend hours poring over briefings, then order a drone airstrike on the villian's lair. Then have a cup of tea.

BigAl6ft6 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But will Ralph Fiennes be in it?

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    They'll go the "Sandbaggers" route and have three quarters of the movie show M arguing with Whitehall over how to proceed, then Bond arguing with M over how to proceed. The actual mission will last about ten minutes, and have, at best, two shots fired.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aha so every single John LeCarre novel ever written?

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I feel like you should have read at least one le Carre before making this comment.

24. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well Tomorrow Never Dies popped up on the telly yesterday so I thought I'd answer these questions.

1) No! Well, Paris Carver was pretty boring I have to admit. I loved the character of Wai Lin though. Looks are subjective of course but I found her attractive. She's also sassy and fights like a demon. In fact, the main problem I could see was that she outshone Bond himself in the fight scenes and made him look a bit of silly in other scenes. For instance: in that scene where Lin and Bond are in a room full of Chinese equipment and gadgets, Lin is doing research whilst Bond is just messing. After Bond has nearly gotten them both killed a couple times with the gadgets she smiles this little smile which basically says 'awww, this guy is clearly a complete idiot, but in a charming way' and I'm just sat there thinking to myself, 'Bond! What are you doing?!'

2) The movie poster isn't great. Lin should be in that stealth suit with the two MP5's (I think they were MP5's) to make it more dynamic. Paris Carver should be doing her best to like slightly less bored.

3) Beyond what you wrote, there's not much to say.

Brosnan made a decent action hero and a believable Bond to be sure. He even had a couple of moments where he allowed his emotions to show, around Paris Carver for instance and when he killed the Dr Kaufmann character. They weren't as well done as Craig's emotional moments but it was nice to see a bit of Bond's humanity. With Brosnan's Bond, as fun as the machine gun antics and bad puns are, he sometimes could have done with switching out of superman mode more.

Wai Lin made a believable secret service agent. Her martial arts were top notch and it was nice to have a Bond girl with a bit of spirit (rather like Pussy Galore) instead of just a pretty girl who follows Bond around not doing very much.

The action scenes were excellent and the film was structured in a way that it was never dull.

Had there been more character development and a better plot this film could have pretty good. As it is, it's a fun but shallow action movie.

4) I have nothing to say about that. It was stupid. The less said about it, the better.

25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012