main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 7 days to die--A H/L pre-Bespin vignette--Vig 7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Note: Thanks to kateydidnt, who, many days ago, told me that, when I had a week left until my year of deathlessness was over, I should write this plot bunny.
    "Sometimes," Leia confessed, "I wonder how much time we have left."

It wasn't really the kind of conversation Han had in mind when he had slaved over a hot cooktop for the sake of a romantic dinner. The attitude, though, was something that had been haunting Leia for several days.

"I told you," Han said patiently. "If we don't run into any more Imperial problems, we'll make it to Bespin in a week, easy."

The look on her face made it obvious that she hadn't meant that, but she didn't say anything. Instead, she attacked her food pointedly and dared him to drop the subject and pretend ignorance.

He wasn't ignorant enough to ignore her. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing," she said quickly, still not meeting his gaze. "It was something stupid I was thinking about."

If it had been somehting stupid, it wouldn't be bothering her like this. It probably wasn't a good idea to try and hold her hand at this point, but he did it anyway because it was the strongest support he could show her without resorting to a kiss. She didn't pull away, just let out a resigned sigh.

"Let me guess," he suggested quietly, since she wasn't talking. "We've come close to dying a few times since that probe droid came calling on Hoth. Vader's been our tails for the better part of...a while. We don't know if anyone on the wrong side of the war is waiting on Bespin. For all we know, we might just have a week to live."

Her smile appeared finally. "You're getting good at reading my mind," she admitted.

He grinned back. "It helps that you usually speak it instead of waiting for me to play guessing games."

She blushed prettily. He was getting good at making her do that, too these days.

"Good point," she said.

"Yeah," he sighed, "that's been kind of bugging me, too."

She finally glanced up to check if he was joking, but it had been a concern since Hoth and he wasn't about to lie to her about that.

"I've been prepared to die," she surmised, "but it's always been while I've been able to do something about it. This time, I can do nothing but help keep the ship running and hope that I'm well-armed when I die."

"I'm not going to let that happen."

When she looked at him this time, he could see in her eyes that she was remembering things like Yavin and how he came back to the command center for her. When he said it, he was thinking of the same things.

"So," she said, unconvincingly attempting to sound cheerful, "if you had one week to live, what would you do with it?"

He hated it when she changed the subject just to throw him off, but if it made her feel better, he'd go along with it to a point.

"This week or any week?"

"Any," she confirmed.

His first thoughts involved her, a good bottle of wine and a lot of romantic hideouts where the fuzzball wouldn't follow, but that was his hormones talking, not reason.

Well, not much reason.

"Probably take you, the kid and my personal upholstery somewhere where no one's heard of the war and bore ourselves to death on vacation," he suggested. "Or, knowing you, I'd get convinced to be a hero one more time and would spend the time trying to keep you safe."

"You usually don't need much convincing," she reminded. "And I'd probably be trying to keep you from going anywhere."

It was true. When she saw him in trouble, she could be insufferably overprotective.

"What about you?" he asked.

"If I had a personality change," she confessed, "I'd make sure we took that vacation anyway."

He frowned. "And in real life?"

She shook her head in self-deprecation. "I don't think I could ever stop fighting," she said. "I'd be off trying to make that week a little shorter by righting wrongs and overthrowing tyrants."

He'd have expected no other answer from her. She was infamous for trying to fight to her last breath so others could survive.

"Luke," she continu

2. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Very sweet. I like the way you write Han and Leia.

And I can so see them having that conversation.

Good Job

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was great, Ish. And Timely too. What would you do if you only had one week?

ANd they'd better get ready, too. ;)

4. Jedi_Rike

Jedi_Rike Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2006
    So the year of deathlessness is drawing to a close.

*Watches as Canon and OC's alike run for the hills*

I really like how you captured the essence of both Han and Leia. The characterization felt dead on and this scene could have very easily been part of the movie. Well done.

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I have heard part of the partial list of doom already...

I am actually looking forward to it.....:)

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    hyperspace_police--:) Thanks! I liked the idea of them having that conversation.

RK_Striker_JK_5--If I had one week left, I'd spend it on the East coast. Thanks!

Jedi_Rike--They're trapped, whether they like it or not... :) Thanks for liking the characterization that much. I was going for that feel of being part of the movie.

Noelie--Yes, well, you're a sick chica, aren't you? ;)

7. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Oooh, that was spot on! Well done, I loved their last sentiments in this.

"I wouldn't mind a last week," she admitted, "as long as I had a man I loved to share it with me."
    Instead, his answer was simple.
    "Me, too."

Wait a minute, here, I'm sure he meant as long as he had a woman he loved, right? That's just an odd thought when I read it again..... [face_laugh]

8. holdout_trout

holdout_trout Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2006
    This is a sweet conversation. It's RL that's hilarious, this time.

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    "For all we know, we might just have a week to live."

When the abstract starts to look alarmingly concrete, you get your priorities in order stunningly fast.

Han and Leia sound very much in character, and this is the type of conversation I could imagine them having. For all his bluster, Han feels things deeply. They realize this might be all there is, and they must live in the moment before the war intrudes again.

What would I do if I knew it would end in a week? Probably spend a week just hugging my kids.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hey, that was wonderful. H/L in all their straightforward but vulnerable essence. I can also see them having this conversation in exactly those words. Han's "Me, too" because he's not sure how to take her statement is sweet. Both of them are sweet, and lovable. :) I hope that in any fic--fanfic or otherwise, their last week is spent together--their last breath. [face_love] They wouldn't have it any other way--protecting each other, cherishing each other. Only L/M can get me more mushy!! [face_laugh] =D=

11. Aquarius_1977

Aquarius_1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Wow!! The reader learns so much about the characters in just those few lines of dialogue. The characterization is spot on...a definite joy to read! Thank you. :D

12. Evil_Charity

Evil_Charity Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Geez, can't they just tell each other that they love each other and get over with it?! Stubborn people!

:p

Very good job!

E[face_good_luck]C

13. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I could see Leia getting a good zinger back at Han for his last response. The two of them are so stubborn about admitting their feelings to each other, that it is really no surprise that it took the threat of permanent separation to get them to finally admit the truth to each other. Good vig!

14. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Yay, that was great Ishy! I think you got their charactars right on mark! "thrilling to be killing" I'm afraid... [face_worried] haha [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.