1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:VIC 70,000 Jedi in Australia

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by lordvaderFF, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    That's the figure taken from the 2001 Census.

70,000 people put down that they are followers of the Jedi faith.

Interesting to note that in the UK, Jedi has now been recognised as an official religion.

2. Lute-Leigh_the-Hut Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I like it, I like it alot. But what they really need to do is make Lutism Official.

May the Lute be with you.
  3. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Our specs for a religion are much more stringent over here and the government is dead against it. It wont happen for a long time.
    I personally but on my form Mixoism
    As i worship MixoJoe himself as a diety and a way of life
  4. the_jedi_princess Jedi Master

star 4
    Aparantly the Australian 'Jedi' are going to be fined. I hope not. Next time the census comes around, I'm going to put Jedi.
  5. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    How can they fine someone for having a religious belief.

Apart from that, the census forms are all confidential....so they should have no way of telling who it was that put down Jedi.

They wouldn't want to start dishing out fines because the uproar would be deafening.

I did an interview on ABC melbourne with the head of the Melbourne College of Divinity (look it up) and he agreed with me that Jedi could indeed be classed as a religion.

So there you go.
  6. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You have to understand that even though the census is private and confidential, early in the proccess they can still work out who's form is who's.
  7. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    Aparantly the Australian 'Jedi' are going to be fined. I hope not.

This is a myth.

I still think if you're so desperate to be classed as a Jedi, go study Buddhism or any other of the religions GL based the Jedi order on.

Or do people actually want to be held in the same regard as Scientologists?
  8. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why say that you live and abide by a religion when you don't? That makes u a heretic. If you want to llive by the Jedi code then do it, otherwise it's just a big joke to the government and everyone else.
  9. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Thankyou Mixo.

That hits the nail on the head I think.

If you're not going to live by the code...then don't put it down on the form.
  10. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I can tell you people, that's what I did put on my census form ;)
  11. the_jedi_princess Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wrote an article for my local paper. Whether or not its published I shall find out in the next few week. I argued all the reasons why it is good to be a Jedi.
  12. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
  13. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But why put down on a census form a religion that you role play to, but don't really follow? That is loading the census with a lot a fake stats. I agree that Jedi law is a noble road to follow but if you don't then don't.
  14. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I'm thinking Jedi would be more likely to be spending their free time on meditation and the like rather than wasting it on internet forums, non?
  15. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A jedi should excel in all aspects of life. There must be a balance.
  16. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you speaking of the prophecy of the chosen one? The one who will bring balance to the forums?

:D
  17. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes the one fom the Northern Lands who will bring debate and life to the forums
  18. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    *Looks around*

So when will they come Mixo?

;)
  19. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He is here and his name is Mixo. My friend there has been much discussion and debate of late. In private and public.
    Once again though were or what has happened to my online allie, LUTE?
  20. the_jedi_princess Jedi Master

star 4
    My article got published people. There was a reference to it on the front page and everything. :cool:
  21. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Cool! Do we get to see it?
  22. darth_brutus Jedi Master

star 4
  23. the_jedi_princess Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's what I wrote

?Will all the Jedi please stand up??
    Perhaps this shall be the call taken up by the Australian authorities as they seek out the 70,000 Australian citizens that listed Jedi as their religion in the last census. It is said that should any of these loyal citizens be located, they would receive a fine for lying about their religion. But the question stands; are they lying?
    In the UK, Jedi is an official religion based on the numbers they received in their own census. Why can not the same thing happen here? Of course there shall never be Jedi running around in full costume (at least not in public), nor shall there be a Jedi school (or praxeum as Luke Skywalker?s academy is called in the Bantam Spectra novels) but still it could be a religion in name, if not in reality.
    Lets think about it.
    A Jedi?s role is to maintain peace and justice (ruling out most politicians) and they do not welcome anger and hatred (ruling out the rest). They must undergo intense physical training and learn martial arts. This is surely a good thing and just might conquer the obesity problem.
    Then there is the spiritual side. Of course, the Force does not exist as we know it in the Star Wars movies and Expanded Universe, but aspects of it do. Mediation is becoming a popular form of relaxation, and then there are the calming and breathing techniques. In truth, the spiritual side of the Jedi is not that far from Buddhists, who are known for their peace and calmness.
    Then there are the things we must think deeply about that we all have; vibes (from people and places), auras (people), that gut feeling we all get and often follow, and then comes that legendary sixth sense. When we get a feeling something?s happened, good or bad, but don?t know what. The feeling of being watched, or that someone is talking or thinking about us.
    Perhaps there is a little bit of Jedi in us all?
    May the Force be with you.
  24. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    That's pretty good. Where did it get published?
  25. darth_brutus Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, thats pretty good. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.