main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

72 Hour Fan Film Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by spottcat211, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Ok Ok I know this isn't an original idea... But I was reading the messages on the board earlier and read the topic: 48 Hour Fan Film.
    After getting through 5 pages of messages I discovered that eventually the idea was dropped due to scedule restrictions and lack of coordination. However I have taken interest in this idea and would be willing to organize it and run the event if there is still interest.
    The rules I propose for this competition are:
    -A 72 Hour deadline
    -Upload time not included
    -One line of dialogue to be included to prove you didnt start weeks before
    -At the end of 72 hours an email would be sent with the exact length of your video to prove that you are not working beyond the limit.
    -Render times should not be included in the 72 hours for any type of movie.
    -It should be set in the Star Wars universe but not necessarily pertaining to any Star Wars characters
    -Any resource may be used ex. Books, internet, prepared models
    -Only standard file types may be used; Mpeg-1, Mpeg-2, AVI, MOV, etc. (I will convert the files and post both in the file type sent to me and in the quicktime format)
    -Judging will be done via a poll on the site.

Many of these are just thoughts and not rigid, and many of them were not created by me. See the 48 hour fan film thread. I apologize to anybody who feels that by reinitializing or reposting this idea i have plagerized or anything else. I felt that the idea needed new life and that people shouldn't have to read into the abyss of the fifth page on the other thread just to get to something new...

If anyone is interested please post so i know whether to just drop the subject...

2. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I'm the one who started the 48 hour thread, and as far as I know the competition is dead. There doesn't seem to be much interest. But, if you want to take up the reigns, you have my blessing.

-Kol.

btw the project was dropped because we couldn't get a website up - which I guess falls under lack of coordination.

3. Salacious_jedimaster

Salacious_jedimaster Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm still interested!!
    I can make a simple website, but I don't have capacity for hosting the films.

4. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    I too can make a website - with 40mb for hosting films ;)

5. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Thanks peeps :) Well it seems some interest is still around... Are you still interested in participating Darth?
    Mushiman thanks for the offer... Any file size limits with that? I am going to be looking for a good free host with plenty of space. If anyone has suggestions i could use them...
    Salacious_jedimaster thanks for the offer but i was actually planning on doing the site myself, I am a bit rusty but I have made a few sites in the past...
    So when does everyone wish to do this... We still need a few more participants but I am thinking that it could be done within the next couple of weeks, any thoughts?

P.S. Thank you for your blessing Darth and letting me "take up the reigns". :D I much appreciate it...

6. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    OMG, I finally got back! I'm really sorry, I had the website partially done, and I got a virus from Kazaa, I'm pretty sure, and it caught my harddrive on fire, losing the info, and ruining parts of my comp. So, I bought a new one, and somehow, marketscore/netsetter got installed, probably thru some spyware or something, and I wasn't allowed to post on TFN for the longest time!!! I'm still all for this idea, so keep me posted.

7. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Will do Silverfox. Sorry about your computer there... I will keep in touch... Do you by any chance have messenger... If so whats your address?

I am thinking about using Spaceports for hosting, any thoughts on them?

8. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    New website up... It is hosted on Space Ports and has unlimited space... (we shall soon see...). Click here to go to it... It's nothing special yet... more of a place holder...

9. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Hmmm. Free space isnt gonna be the way to go on this, especially since you will run into serious bandwidth and throughput problems when it comes time to host the different films.

And as I always do with most competitions I poke my head in take a look around and point out that this is a very easily cheated situation. Even the methods you have thought up to make sure they only do their work within a 72hour time period arnt fool proof.

You also have differences of amount of people working on the project, Real Life resources etc. When they do these kinds of competitions they give everyone the same equipment, a set budget, and someone follows them around with a camera to document it all so they know no one was cheating or screwing around.

10. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Yes, I am interested in doing such an undertaking. I have been to the showing of a 48 hour competition here in Dallas, Texas which was great. What they did was to give some people a very vague premise for the movie and make them use some props found in a box. Wind up chattering teeth amoung other things. It was quite halarious watching how varied the movies that each team did were. Some were silent films and others were just down right halarious. 24 teams entered the competition and I believe 21 made the deadline. They had some good strategies like on one team the entire crew slept for the first few hours while one guy wrote the script so the rest of the crew would be able to work longer on its part

11. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Shawn, I understand your misgivings... Your right some people may cheat and start their movie ahead of time. In the other thread they did consider giving a main theme that was fairly general and could produce many different results, we may decide to switch to this type of system... Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also I do understand that in real life when they have these types of competition they are a lot more coordinated with people viewing their every moves... However we aren't about to send some people half way across the planet (in extreme cases) just to have a little competition. I had thought about setting a limit to the number of people that can participate per group, but would like other opinions on this before I decide.

Thanx for the comments :)

12. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    I have changed the site quite a bit... Tell me what you think. You can reach the site by clicking here. Or you can copy and paste the old fasioned way... http://72hourfanfilm.cjb.net

Well I am signing off for the night, shall read you all tomorrow! :D

13. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    Hey Spotted-Cat,

In response to your PM, I don't think I'll be competing, I've moved onto bigger and better things since the conception of the contest.

Good luck, I'll look in on it from time to time, maybe I'll do one eventually.

-Kol

14. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Umm....If you don't mind, may I email you my old site design, it was really nice looking, but lacked content. I spent 2 days with photoshop making the images, so I don't want that to go to waste. My friend uses the same design, for the most part, at geocities.com/theanisource so, thats sorta what it looks like. I was working on the cgi scripts for the forum when I got the virus. I'd like to help out on this again, so, spottcat, please email or PM me on where I can go to put this site up. That's another problem I had--bandwidth. We're going to be getting a LOT of traffic on this thing, so I came to the conclusion that we'd need to pay for our bandwidth. None of those free services, especially spaceports (annoying ads a plenty), would work for this kind of project. Also, I think Jerak and I decided on how the rules were supposed to go, so it's all ready, we just need to put it up somewhere. I'll give you the design spottcat, if u can update it for me. I've got too much going on, and can't take on a project like this myself. (btw, I just got home from goldmember, and its pretty funny, and has a few sw references.) Well, see ya. SilverFox out.

15. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    "Also, I think Jerak and I decided on how the rules were supposed to go"

-Yeah, the rules we came up with were pretty solid. Though the rules that spotcat posted are pretty similar. I'm eager to see your site Silver.

BTW, I saw Goldmember, funny funny stuff.

-Kol

16. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Whoa, i didnt recognize you, kol, until i read the user name! why the female icon?

17. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    Just time for a change. I like Natalie Portman, so, I figured it'd be a good one.

-Kol.

18. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    you do realise that people associate your icon with you... for example Halibut is a jolly old man to me. And now every time you post I will think i am talking to one hot female who is into film making.

19. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    exactly. thats why everyone thinks of tac as an old, mean guy, cuz he has sir alec guinness's jug on his icon.

20. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    Hey Whispering,

the thought of you thinking of me like that just scared the hell out of me. Natalie Portman is gone.

- (I'm not a girl, sorry to confuse, I'm actually a slug) Kol.

21. spottcat211

Jul 27, 2002
    Thank you for your reply Darth Jerak... I am sorry that you will not be joining us in the competition.
    I have PMed silverfox about the templates so that should be up soon...
    About the paid web server... For me that will be a bit of a problem as I am just about flat broke right now... You may be right 5GB may not be enough bandwidth, but we shall see I suppose... I may set up a site for each movie (so that each movie gets 5gb a month)and then integrate them all into the main site; but as of yet I dont know.

We still need another couple of competitors I would like to see 5-10 people confirmed so if anyone else wants to join us just e-mail me at spottcat211@hotmail.com , msn message me at spottcat211@hotmail.com , or just post on this board... I will be updating this board with progress as well as the website (http://72hourfanfilm.cjb.net) if you would like to check on us...

22. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm currently talking to spotcat about how this website deal is going to work out. I think we could possibly ask for donations for the site, via paypal, or something, since a lot of people would want to see this happen. If not, it may take us a while, since we're students, to get the funds to run a domain and webhosting.

23. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    I think you guys are going to have quite a difficult time, at least for the first one, to get donations.

24. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I agree. I think I may end up paying for it. I can probably raise some money doing some graphics for someone, but I'm lazy, so I was trying to avoid it. Spotcat and I decided the people in charge of this are once again Jerak, myself, and now SpotCat. I may end up being an admin on the site, but right now I'm just in charge of promotion and design. I'm sending him my layout.

25. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    lo.. I think the idea is great.. Although I doubt I would have the time to enter. working on other things :p

But a few things I wanted to mention. The idea of making a line that must be used is not really going to ensure things are done in the 72 hours. Its not hard to cut a line into a film with a different camera angle and make it look like it was there all along.

However to be honest I think that so long as their is no award etc most people will be entering for the fun of it, and I think we can trust most people to obey the 72 hour limit :)

on another note, if your not including render times in the 72 hours there will have to be some sort of deadline.. otherwise films will be entered for months to come as the rendering finishes :p

The thing that most intrests me about this will be downloading films that have been rushed through to meet the deadline, possibly with quickly done cg etc etc.. I think that will be the thing that makes this most intresting :)

Anyhow good luck I hope this works out, I'd like to see some of the films :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.