main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

72 hour film competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SilverFox0440, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me hosting another 72 hour film contest? I had a few ideas after the last two or three, and I think these rules would suffice:

1) Anyone can enter, but production can't start until the day I post the following on the forum: a) a line that has to be in the story, or b) a genre, or c) a prop. Which do you think is best?

2) Once I post it and the contest begins, 72 hours later, I will conduct a call for the files, and if I don't begin to recieve them within 3 hours of the contest ending, those that I haven't recieved will be disqualified (this is to prevent abuse of the upload time for post.)

3)They don't have to be FAN films, but can be. Nothing is prohibited except foul language and nudity, basically.

Anyone game? I know I would be if I wasn't running it.

Oh yeah, and I'll be providing hosting, but would appreciate other people's bandwidth donations. Files can be sent to me in any format and I can export to .mov for optimal compression and compatability.

2. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I am, as stated in another thread, all for it. So mark one tally on the board of entries!

3. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    Ditto.

4. STAPTrooper

STAPTrooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Sign me up my good fellow.

5. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Cool. Looks like it's on, then. Three is enough to warrant a contest. Any other takers? Any suggestions on rules?

6. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Why not...if I'm not too busy sitting on my butt.

7. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Alright, 4...anyone else?

8. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    BTW, I would go with the specific Line to be used--props may be hard to come by, and somebody could have already made the genre flick. Also, a limit to the length of the films submitted is a good idea...

Actually, you know what would be really interesting is if someone wrote a three minute script and submitted that. The competition could be everyone making that script into their own movie...

9. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I had actually considered that, but the availability of a short script that can be in any genre is what kept me from persuin that. I agree about the line of dialogue, though.

10. Bringer_of_Spiff

Bringer_of_Spiff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2003
    me..most likely

11. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    I won't be able to participate, but let me make a suggestion. It would make it more interesting if you had to use two specific lines and props in the film.

12. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    So when would be the ideal time for this to take place?

13. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    Agreed--the more lines and props you have to cram into the film force participants to be more creative. But it REALLY needs to have like a 3 minute timelimit.

14. WeirdHat

Jul 28, 2003
    On a weekend.

15. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    RIGHT NOW!

On a similar note, am I the only who thinks a 72-minute film contest would rule?

Er..anyway, I think a Friday is a good day to start, personally.

16. STAPTrooper

Jun 7, 2003
    relatively works for me, winter break is still effective here until the 7th. But anytime works...try to make it work for a weekend though.

17. TRASH

TRASH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2002
    Sounds good. Make sure you announce the official start date in advance so that those wishing to participate know when to look for the thread containing the rules of production (i.e. the aforementioned genre-type, or line, prop, etc). It'd suck for someone to come here one day and realize they had already missed several hrs of production time. I don't know if I'll be able to participate or not, but I would like to wish good luck to those that do. It's a great idea and I hope it becomes a regular event.

18. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    This is actually the fourth one over the last 3 years.

Okay, well for now the official starting date is Friday, January 9th, at 6 pm. I'll post the thread on thurseday, and the line or topic or whatever we decide on, at 6 pm. This will be fun, and I'd be glad to host it more than once, if you all decide this is worth doing more than once a year.

19. STAPTrooper

Jun 7, 2003
    Why stop at semi-annual? :D

We could reasonably make this a bi-monthly or even a monthly type contest. Provided someone was willing to do this that often.

I also agree that instead of props or genre, do a series of unrelated lines to be put into the film. 3 Minute time limit I agree with.

My example for the series of unrelated lines:

"The system is down."
    "I'm not your father, he is."
    "What does your heart tell you?"
    "Give me more time!"
    "Cheeseburgers?"

I feel that this could result in either some very creative or very comical short films. Maybe both! Just my example on how it could be done.

20. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    If nothing else, this is great practice for everyone. As far as the short script idea--you make it so people have to stick to the script. Again, just another great way to practice filmmaking...

21. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    "The system is down"

"What the crap is a pumpernickle, anyway?"

"I can't sit on this thing for much longer."

Oh, the possibilies...

Was that first one an HSR reference?

22. STAPTrooper

Jun 7, 2003
    After looking at that, yeah it is...but it actually was the first random thing to come to mind.

23. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Hey, why no nudity?

24. STAPTrooper

Jun 7, 2003
    As long as it is portrayed artistically...why not? ;) :D

25. WeirdHat

Jul 28, 2003
    You mean January, not December, right? And 6 PM in what timezone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.