main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

72 hour film competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SilverFox0440, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    Spiff, (still holding grudges about the fact that i didn't like the music in your film I see)I'd just like to say that if you paid attention my story would be quite different. In my movie, i dont try to go back in time and save people because that idea is stupid and overused, my story was something that hasn't ever been done before (not saying the effects were, but the story was totally original) and if it bothers you that they both have to do with time travel (even though they look at it from 2 completely OPPOSITE sides), well I'm gonna have to say too bad.

2. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    :::Raises hand:::

Don't get it. :)

3. DarthStrater

DarthStrater Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    My reviews.

The game. These guys had fun. I had fun watching it. Excellent high stake game going on (Very High stakes) crazy, funny, ending. I loved it. The same goes for me with the audio. I wish I heard it a little better in the time passing sequence. I watched it a couple of times to adapt my listen to the accents. Just not used to them is all. I really liked the ending. Especially liked the break in character when the game was revealed and ended. Very Funny! Great job guys!

Mirrored image.I am a little biased here. Without djr33 help I would not have had my own entry in. Thanks Again! I thought it was great. Someone in an earlier thread said they wanted the effect and flip better when going into the mirror. I loved that part and thought the effect was awesome! I liked the story. I too wanted to see behind the mirror but that?s also what made it good.

Domino Effect. Cool Movie. I agree with some of the others that commented here. A lot of story crammed into 4 minutes. I would like to see more of the holes filled in for me. I loved the visuals and especially the sound fx in the time travel sequences. I like domino kid. I like his look and his delivery of his lines. Was he being himself or great acting? A little of both I would bet.

Net Stab. Too Funny! I?m still laughing. All of us here can relate. Where do I place my order? Do you yippee? OMG LOL. I think they accomplished what they set out to make.

3 minutes. Ok here I go. Some of you may have read in my profile that I run an in-school suspension room in a middle school. For a number of years I worked with emotional and behavioral disordered kids. Hard for me to stomach this at times. All to real in some kids lives (trust me on this) I felt guilty for laughing and enjoying it so much. If it took place in an alternate world or something I might have accepted it more. That being said, I give this one FIRST PLACE! The cinematography was great. The opening was awesome! I had no Idea where they were going and how they were going to use the lines. The music was a great fit. The transitions in action, music, and visuals were timed good and worked great! I love the watch time warp effect and sound. They earned this one. I hope that with a lot more expertise, experience and effort I can make an entry this good next time.

Carpool Cheater. What can I say? This was my entry. I scaled back a bit because we were freezing outside (Minnesota in January). We were cracking up the whole time. My Brother-in-law played the cop (I was the Carpool cheater (or was I cheating?). His character developed because of bloopers and I loved it! I told him I really liked the wacky cop thing. I messed up in editing at 1:00 am and realized after I entered that I used the wrong take for ? Who are you?? The cop said who?s your friend? Yeah Darth turns out to be real. We were going to shoot this with my brother-in-law in the costume but ran out of time and light. We should have started earlier but we watched play off football instead. Sucks that the Cheese Heads lost. Anyway, can anyone pick up on the other Star Wars lines HIDDEN in the movie? PM me if you catch them.
    Well that?s my opinions and comments. This web site and forum are new to me and I?m so excited they exists. I feel like I did when I did my first Star Wars show in 1978. I was in third grade and a bunch of us stayed in from recess and I directed a play of all of us lip-syncing to the Star Wars LP. We got to show it to the whole school. I still have the album.
    Jim

PS
    Thanks to everyone involved! Great job Silverfox! Oh yeah, I didn?t actually vote. I'll leave that to the non-competitors.
    Jim

4. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Woah! Dagoabah sorry about that. I just looked at my language there and realised it sounded way harsher than I had intended (duh... "ripped off" probably did it). Definitely no grudges were being held - there were so many people that hated my music choices that I'd lost track - and it was a reaction I had anticipated before hand.

I did pay attention to the story of your film, and I thought it was very touching - when I described it to someone else I was thinking to myself how very sweet it was. But in all fairness, it was a retrospective reaction for me. Your film was experiemental and artistic and I give you kudos for that. I didn't mean to imply you were unoriginal or offend you, and my quick "review" was definitely not meant as a personal attack. Heck, I didn't read enough details to even remember which person submitted what. I hold all the film makers in the highest regard.

-Spiff

5. ThePaladin

ThePaladin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2004
    Uh, HELP!! I can't watch any of the Mpeg Files. Realplayer, Windows Media Player, and Quicktime All rejected the files. WHAT AM I NOT GETTING??

6. degobah1

Jul 14, 2002
    Ok Spiff, no hard feelings then. ThePaladin did you not already post that here? I remember all of the files being .mov and one was .wmv, correct me if i'm wrong, i dont think they are mpegs.

7. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    My Reviews:

"The Game" - I thought this one had some of the best acting, the accents were cool, and the delivery of the "where did you get that" line was top-notch.

"Carpool Cheater" - I thought the guy who played the cop did a good job, the use of the "panties" line was awesome (I wasn't expecting it), and what can I say? The minivan with blinking lights was hilarious. However, if I were to make one change it would be this: have the lightsaber turn on and impale the cop in the eye when he's looking into it! LOL!

"Mirrored image" - Great work on the clone effect. At first, I honestly thought it was just the mirror image. Kinda dark in some spots, though.

"Domino Effect" - I thought it was a little tough to follow and had to watch a couple times. The other dude in the film (not the time traveling one) ruled!

"3 minutes" - This is the only one I had any beef with. I mean, isn't it ironic the the film entitled "3 minutes" is the only one that actually takes like 8 minutes? LOL. I thought the cinematography was this film's best part. A lot of good camera angles. Now, what bothered me is the guns--the realism of them, anyway. First of all, I don't know of anyone on this planet who can cock two pistols with one hand. Second, the guy who took the seasoning has crappy aim at first--misses the main character with like 10 shots at the beginning, yet can magically shoot TWO doors shut mere moments later. During the scene where the main character is running while firing, so many bullet casings are hitting the ground I got the impression he was carrying an M-60 (machine gun). However, it was the cinematography of that same shot (bullet casings hitting) that I really liked--lower the rate of fire on your guns and it would be convincing. Sorry, no offense, but being in the Army, I always have to pick apart gunfights. Just be warned--if you make a gunfight scene, I'll be waiting in the wings to tear it down! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Net Stab" - One word: CRAP!

8. degobah1

Jul 14, 2002
    ouch, i guess i didn't rule :(

9. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    No, your acting wasn't bad, I just thought the other dude ruled because he seemed like he was struggling so hard to remember the lines you gave him. I just thought he ruled. Don't feel bad though, I didn't rule, either. Pretty much why I'm RARELY in anything I make...because I suck.

10. ThePaladin

Jan 2, 2004
    They use mpeg codecs, and I can't find where to get them. Please help someone!! Have a helping fanfilm spirit please! [face_dyingfigureincompletepain]

11. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime. Or whatever player you're using.

12. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    It's possible that the two .wmv files are encoded with the windows media 9 codec,try downloading the latest version of windows media player. :)

13. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    I encoded with the latest WMP9 codec. Why don't you all get with the program? LOL!

14. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    goto quicktime.com. download the latest version of the program. its not too hard. i am not trying to be rude, but you dont even tell us which films... that would help. if we knew if it was the windows media ones or the quicktime ones... it would really help us to help you. at least tell us the names of the films you cant view.

15. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Alrighty, it's about time I threw my reviews out here. Just as a warning to anyone who takes offense from my reviews: they are merely reviews pertaining to the movie in hopes of helping your next films. It's not personal in any way. Now that that's covered, on to the reviews in no set order:

Three Minutes: First off, this will be the film I will vote for when I get on over to the forums to vote. The main thing that got me at first was the cinematography. It has a smooth beginning that really makes you start to wonder how in the world this could get interesting. The stealing of the packet was done quite well, in my opinion. Very comedic. The first part of the chase begins, and you can already feel your pulse start to quicken as the adrenaline starts pumping. Then we get the beginning of the showdown. Now, it kind of bugs me when there are horribly inaccurate shots being fired in a film. I don't see how anyone could miss a target the size of a human from as far away as they were from each other there. The muzzle flashes, though, were very well done, maybe even a bit overdone. But for your purposes, they were top notch. The ricochet effect was a little lacking after the muzzle flashes, though. They definitely could have undergone a little more work. I also very much so enjoyed the shot of the "main" character running in slow motion with the shells hitting the ground. Very impressive, but as stated above, very unrealistic for a Beretta. The watch zooming effect was also very cool, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Once the final shots are made, I kind of winced. That was a lot of blood. I can normally handle good amounts, and that is quite realistic, but it was a little bit of a kick in the face to see it in a amateur short film, heh. The ending was most comforting, and made me want to go and have some ramen :). Lastly, the lines were used fairly well, and I loved how you used the panty one [face_laugh]

Overall Grade for Three Minutes: A-

[b]The Domino Effect[/b]: [hl=black][color=black]Well... although you say it isn't "anything" like The Butterfly Effect, it's the exact same idea sans the saving people part. At first I thought it may be an interesting short film. But the minute the journal comes out in the bedroom, I could tell it was a clone of some sort. Some of the shots from the trailer were even mimicked in this short, including a lot of the effects. The cinematography was okay throughout the film,, except for in two or three cases. The first is when the main character was walking down the road and you get the voice over. The camera was [i]very[/i] shaky at this point, and distracted me quite a bit. The next two were when the duo stood up from the benches the first time and you get some really good reflections, and when they enter the door of the second's home, when you get the same effect through the window. After this, it is pretty predictable all the way to the end. The main character trying to explain his "gift" to the love interest was written somewhat poorly, and was very unrealistic (but hey, so is the whole movie. You know what I mean, right?). Anyways, this film did not peak my interest, even though The Butterfly Effect does somewhat tickle my fancies. The used lines worked but they were somewhat harder to catch.[/color][/hl]

[b]Overall Grade for [color=green]The Domino Effect[/color][/b]: [color=red][b]C[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]Net Stab[/b]: [hl=black][color=black]This was the first of the bunch (aside from The Sleeping Eye) that I downloaded and watched. Very, very humourous! I especially liked how the stab was pulled off. Very realistic, yet extremely comedic at the same time. And the road construction cone for the blocker was done very well. Wonderful use of the lines, and "Do you Yippee?" was brilliant! Good for some laughs. If this had been formed into a slightly longer and non-commercial version, it may have placed a vote for best film from me. Even still, great job, guys![/color][/hl]

[b]Overall Grad

16. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Braxtan, everything you had a beef with in "Three Minutes" was done purposely. The 10 shells per gun shot, the two handed cocking of the gun, EVERYTHING. The whole point of it was to be as cocky as possible as a parady to gun fights of this sort. I figured you would appriciate this type of humor after watching "Friday", which was a parady as well...of horror movies. It was all meant to be corny.

-Brad

P.S. So you are making fun of my aim!? Did you happen to miss when DeadEyes was chasing me down the hallway for 30 seconds, guns a blazen! Hmmm...HMMMMMMM. 8-}

17. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    I came to know that there is a shot in 3 Minutes that no one (outside those who have been told) would ever catch. Frame by frame the whole film, I'm confident you'll never find it. A week of signature glory for the first who does. Brad, you are awesome.

18. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    BRAD-

Yeah, you guys would make GREAT stormtroopers! LOL!

Also, you should have put more cheesy one-liners in. I don't know about anyone else, but I just can't tell when a firearm is being sarcastic or not...

Should have put a line in it like Dirty Harry:

"This is a super 9mm. The only handgun in the world that holds 200 bullets in a magazine. You have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well...do ya...punk?"

Now THAT would really cap the idea! Get it? CAP?

Hazaa!

19. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

Jul 8, 2002
    "This is a super 9mm. The only handgun in the world that holds 200 bullets in a magazine. You have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well...do ya...punk?"

LMAO [face_laugh]

20. ThePaladin

Jan 2, 2004
    I have the latest version of both Quicktime and WMP 9. I can play the wmv files just fine, but the .mov files use an mpeg codec that I apparently don't have. HelP?

21. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    goes to play it frame by frame :p

22. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

Jul 8, 2002
    All the quicktime files are encoded with sorenson3 codec

23. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I hear ya Braxtan, that would have helped. We just figured that having the battle being fought over a seasoning packet would have set the tone right away.
    I also liked the idea of give me some extra lines. I don't think I showed my true acting skills (very sarcastic) by speaking with panties around my neck. Anyway thanks for your comments.

And thanks Fig, that shot turned out pretty good. But the way I see it, for 6 hours...it BETTER look good! However I am sure DES would have sacrificed that shot in exchange for some help with the muzzleflashes. 8-}

24. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Hmmm, the Domino Effect is strangely familiar to what the Butterfly Effect seems to be about. Hmmm...interesting, even the time warping looked the same as it did in the Butterfly trailers. But if you were meaning to parody this then it's okay. I have to say I liked 3 minutes and NetStab the best. I think I will go with NetStab as my favorite though.

25. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    Woo-hoo! Ha Ha! Braxtan - 1, everyone else - 56! Take THAT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.