main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

72 Hour Films Finally Up: Watch, and make your vote here....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by spottcat211, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    The first one was fairly good, although the camerawork made no sense. (Which is why it worked so well, but... I thought we were going for entertainment value)

The Second:
    Sorry, but was anybody else reminded of the 10 minute "driving through the country" scene from the infamous MST3K episode of Manos: Hands of Fate?

The shots were painfully long. It needed quite a bit of editing.

2. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm not going to spend another second of my time trying to find a stupid link on that site to download a movie.

You should make them a little more obvious...

3. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    A quick note: I've finally updated my 72hr fan film page with a poll

It would be great if people can use that as well as posting here (or just use the poll if you wish to remain anonymous :p)

I decided to vote for spotcat221 in the end. It is difficult to compare "serious" films with parodies, but I simplified things by choosing the one, in my opinion, who had made best use of the time available.

Star Wars: Attack Of The Jedi Of The Darkside Of The Force - I thought that the aging was very well done and the music/sounds added to that ambiance. However, although I found it funny at first, after watching the same shots cycled over and over, it seemed to me like it hadn't gone anywhere.

Star Wars: Attack Of The Cliche - Same idea as the first one, really, parodying the jedi in a forest..... walking for ages for no apparent reason... duel... end. The quality, though not justifying the file size, did allow me to see the costumes which looked fairly decent. There was some sort of "plot" (in the loosest possible sense.....) but things got a little wierd when the duel arrived. The picture got progressively more fogged until you couldn't make much out at all. The sabres were far too large and (I'm presuming this was rotoscoped via the filmstrip method) the rotoscoper forgot to get rid of the glow where it spilled over into ajoining frames so wierd lights kept appearing. That it was done in such a small amount of time though, means some allowance must be given...

Treasure of Valhalla - Though there were no effects and a ridiculous cloaking mechanism.... I felt that this film was the one to which most thought had been given. A plot you could actually put your finger on, multiple locations that made some attempt at moving the story on, some thought given to the camera (though the zoom was distracting in places). The duel "choreography" was forgettable, but that takes time so is partially excusable. Will be interesting to see what changes happen for the special edition.

Given the extreme time constraints, it's great that anything was done. Congratulations to everyone who completed a film. Looking forward to the next competition :)

4. ltlrat

ltlrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    I can't believe that some people actually liked our movie (attack of the cliche). I mean it had a dumb plot which was hard to figure out, and some really bad acting. But it was fun to make and we have some hilarious bloopers that we're gunna post later on. And hopefully our next one will be a little better, because we're going to choreograph an awesome fight. I also think it's great how we actually kinda made fun of the other two movies considering that our movie was a parody of generic fanfilms, and we didnt even know it.

5. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I just watched the film noir one, and it's funny, but the quality is horrible. Try a higher rez, if you're gonna use that much compression. And vote on the poll, people! I can't wait to upload the bloopers.

6. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    just a note, that's not film noir, film noir refers to a subgenre of crime films of the early 30s. Generally they focus on the exploits of criminals or detectives, and contain themes of corruption and melancholy.
    Notable films in this genre include The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the Maltese Falcon, Blade Runner (modern film noir) and most recently Memento.

The film you are referring to is a parody of silent westerns of the 1920s.

so says the film student...

-Kol.

7. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I knew that, I was just too lazy. I like film noir, and am a big fan of it, so I know.

8. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
  9. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Actually, when I sent the film to Spot it was in a better quality, but it was 73Mb, so Spot had to compress it even more to be able to host it on his site. It went down from 73MB do only 7MB.

/DR

10. Darth_Redicolous

May 4, 2002
    Haha! I realy liked Attack Of The Cliche! [face_laugh]

It was something like that our film was meant to be before we lost the tape...

At least we still have the title...
    "Attack Of The Jedi Of The Darkside Of The Force"
    "Of the" x 3 ;)

But my vote goes to SilverFox0440 & crew for this very funny movie! Good Job!

11. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    wow, thanks! Our movie was a mishap. Yours was pretty funny, and I can understand that compression would do that, so if you want to send me the original, I'll upload it to my ftp at the original quality. Spottcat, yours had the most preproduction, obviously, but it was really hard to watch, without any sound effects (the gun shots) or lightsabers or ships, and the choreography could have used a little work. It's cool that your family was involved tho, and you had some nice scenery (but dont use a grocery store parking lot, or whatever, next time!)

12. BETAmax

BETAmax Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2002
    Congratulations to the 3 teams who managed to complete their films within the deadline. As anyone who has tried to make a film will know this is no easy task.

Hopefully there will be even more participants in the next round. On the same topic; when is the next round of competion due to start and is it possible to join in?

If there is still time to join where do I go to sign up?

Also the rules state-

Only standard file types may be used; Mpeg-1, Mpeg-2, AVI, MOV, etc.

Do you allow Flash animations or is this competition purely for live action?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions. :)

13. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Sep 21, 2000
    How long should we keep the poll open? 1 week (that would be closing it next saturday)

BETAmax: Flash was fine when we first started, don't see why not now, speak to spotcat221, I think he said he'd be interested in hosting the next one.

14. Darth_Redicolous

May 4, 2002
    One week sounds good to me.

15. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    One week sounds good to me... Umm I am not hosting the next one... I am letting silverfox do that... I however will be hosting another one in winter...

16. BETAmax

BETAmax Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2002
    Thanks Iyidin_Kyeimo for your reply. :)

All I need to know now is when the next round starts.

For those who are interested, my vote went to -

Attack of the Cliche.

Despite the films lengthy walking scenes this movie had a nice comical twist.

I especially like the Sith blaming his wife for his 'dark' tendencies.

The film had a simple premise which like the Treasure of Valhalla was formulated around the necessity to include a 'currency shot'. I do feel however that in Valhalla the placement was not as forced (no pun intended).

What was impressive was the inclusion of a duel featuring 'lit' sabres, this was a bonus that I did not expect for a fanfilm made in 72 hours.

Although Attack of the Jedi of the Dark Side of the Force fell short of the other two entries in terms of plot and the inclusion of the currency I still think that it explored an interesting concept, juxtuposing the percieved notion of Star Wars being set 'long ago' with the psuedo archive footage.

:) Thanks again for sharing your work. :)

17. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    I guess I never voted.

My vote went to Darth_Redicolous. Everybody's films were great, but I couldn't stop laughing during Darth's film.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next competition.

-Kol.

18. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Nothing is more annoying that spending time downloading films that aren't the proper film because the link is listed wrong, or that are EIGHTY MEGS and can't be watched because of the codec isn't advised, and therefore there's a white screen.

please don't waste our time like this.

19. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Sep 21, 2000
    It must be the codec, I'm sure the file won't be wrong (the filename should be Finished-Attack of The Cliche.avi). Speak to silverfox0440 about the codec, but I've only got DivX 5.02, on2 and a few others apart from what my comp came with and it works fine for me...

20. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    It is divx... Personally I felt that he should have compressed it more and uploaded in a quicktime file... But that was my advice, and he is always right... :p

21. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    It was a judgement call based on time, we had to export in time for the competition. We'll be releasing a special edition soon, with the full script intact, and special effects redone, and all. BTW, its divx 5.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.