main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

7NS Issue: Can we somehow block "latest post" on the main page?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garth Maul, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I don't want to be "that guy", but I previously was so why not again? :p

You'll recall when we had 3NS we managed to have the TFN newsbox thingie turned off in the forum so we weren't inadvertently spoiled by the TFN headlines.

Is there a way to do this (or to have the option) for the "latest post" on the main JC page? There was a thread on "The Emperor in Episode VII Confirmed" and it showed up, naturally, as the latest post.

If there's no way to control this we'll just have to tell people to link specifically to 7NS.

Thanks.
    G_M

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Grimby - I took a quick look at the forum options and didn't see anything there to turn off latest post.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I believe there is a way to remove 7SA from the main feed. Let me take a look.

4. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    thanks guys!

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    OK, that should do it. Posts from 7SA should no longer show up on the "What's New?" page, and should also be removed from the main JC RSS feed and TFN Main sidebar.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I misunderstood your question then as I saw the option to turn off the feed and What's New. That'll teach me to read Comms posts while watching a TV show..

SithStarSlayer and Grimby like this.
  7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    wow, thanks for the quick service. :D

Edit: Just for the sake of those extra-paranoid 7NSers, is it possible to also block the latest post on the right of the screen at the boards.theforce.net main page? If not, that's not a huge worry for me, I'll just tell people to avoid the main page.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Uh, wasn't this original post sort of a spoiler in and of itself?

sethg, Force Smuggler and Grimby like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Now that's what I thought you were asking to be blocked. I didn't find an option for that. Grimby - could we put 7SA in its own category and not expand it as a default? That way it wouldn't be visible unless people expanded the category.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Ha ha yeah I was going to say "it isn't confirmed" but I'll edit the post. [face_blush]

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yes this actually was my original post but Grimby brought up those other issues as well.

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Update: I see that you guys are working the problem. Oops

I can still see potential spoilers.

In the Main Forum page this is what I see next to
    Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed

Latest: Is the Emperor really dead?
    Darth Claire, 2 minutes ago

[face_sigh]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    At least you weren't driving AND trying to read, like some peeps I know.:oops:

GGrievous likes this.
  14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm reading and trying to practice law

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I do believe I have managed to hide the latest post info for 7SA.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You have. On behalf of us "extra paranoid 7NSers," thank you very much.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I question how big a problem this was in the first place. I had managed to avoid any news at all until I looked at this thread.

Well done.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you wait til it becomes a problem to address it, the damage is done.

I didn't un-highlight Garth's highlighted info.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

So that how it's going to look from now on, just like that? What a bunch of nonsense.

20. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    All you had to do was set your own stuff a certain way and that was it. No problem at all.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't know that. Good to know for future reference.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes indeed... all anyone would have to do is download AdBlock (unless you have it already), block that specific "ad" on that forum main page, and the problem is solved. Simple as that. So why do those of use who plan on using the 7SA have to be dealt with an unneeded annoyance?

[​IMG]

As an example, I blocked the latest post message from the WNU forum. So simple a solution.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Another question, and if this just needs to be a separate thread, let me know: will there be an established spoiler policy or policies for other forums? It seems that in the prequel days, all spoilers needed to be highlighted as Garth did above, until three days or so after the film's release.

In one forum we've already had a spoiler in a thread title, preceded by the word "SPOILER" in all caps--not a whole lot of point in putting the word "spoiler" there if the spoiler is going to directly follow the word. If we had gotten any solid information at this point and I felt the need to take the "spoiler" warning seriously, I'd be pissed.

I am not picking on that particular forum or its mods; I just think it's an issue that is going to crop up across the boards. A similar incident happened in LACWAC with someone posting a spoiler for a new episode in a thread title; the mods took care of that one immediately.

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I've stickied this in Saga:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...w-saga-in-depth-is-not-spoiler-free.50014146/

EDIT: Given the issue being currently discussed, I've modified the rules slightly:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Garth Maul: I'm genuinely curious: did you ever consider an AdBlock option before making this thread?