main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary 7th Meeting

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by sithspawn35, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    Okay,......how far is this Olney place from Annapolis? About 2 hrs is about as far as I am willing to travel, especially on a traffic heavy weekend. Unless someone is willing to carpool from Annapolis to the boondocks (?).

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I think this is sounding like a very possible idea. Let's get more details about the restaurant and traveling distance before we finalize it.

3. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm not sure if this is going to work but I'm pasting a link to an article about The Olney Ale House in this post.

http://www.quirksworld.com/notm-mayjun01.html

It takes me about 35 minutes to get to the place from Catonsville. Depending on traffic that time could extend closer to 40 or 45 minutes. It took me about the same amount of time to get to the Annapolis Mall for our last meeting. So, I guess, roughly that makes it about an hour and twenty minutes from Annapolis. I go from 70 to 29 to Route 108 and just follow 108 to the restaurant. It's right on 108 which becomes Sandy Spring Road out in that area. Mapquest's directions take you all over the the place and way out of your way so don't rely on them. Plus, they are taking you to the heart of Olney and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Ale House is east of "downtown" Olney. If anyone needs specific directions I can provide them in separate email or post to the list if you'll let me know where all of you would be coming from.

M.M.

4. kasjedi

kasjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    M.M. - would that being going WEST on 108 from 29? How far once you turn onto 108?

I'm back.... I bought a house in Columbia (first time homeowner!) less than 2 weeks ago and needless to say - that's been keeping me busy! But, I am guessing by the 20th I am going to need a break from paint fumes and packing boxes!

kasjedi

5. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    Yes, Kasjedi, you would be going West on 108. I just got off the phone with someone at the restaurant and she said it takes her about 15 or 20 minutes to get to Columbia from the Ale House. It's literally a straight shot out Route 108. The address is 2000 Sandy Spring Road which is what 108 is called in that area. The only thing that can slow you down is the traffic lights; there are a few of them between Columbia and the restaurant. Although, once you get past Clarksville and the intersection of Route 32, the traffic eases up considerably.

So, to recap, its about 15 or 20 minutes farther West from Centennial Park (for example) where we were planning to have our meeting before the heat changed our minds.

M.M.

6. ErrantVenture

ErrantVenture Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2002
    Just to let you guys know, I'll be on vacation in Ohio during the meeting on the 20th (I think the meeting was the 20th). I know I haven't been to a meeting in a few months; I hope I can make the meeting in August, work schedule permiting.

7. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    An hour and a half from Annapolis? Holy Smokes!! I guess you better count me out then. 3.5hrs is WAY to far for me!

8. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, was that a typo? If we're trying to accomodate more members, then the members that currently trek long distances shouldn't be put at an even larger disadvantage.

9. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Alas, Sithspawn's estimate is probably pretty accurate, IMO. I'd be glad to carpool with him (we could meet at the 50/404 intersection at Wye Mills) but that still means 7 hours on the road for us, not counting time at the gathering.

The problem for us coming from the east is the Bay Bridge and all the beach traffic on Rt 50, plus there's no high-volume road from the Bridge due west to Olney - look at a map and you'll see what I mean.

OTOH I think Fipe's idea of meeting at a geocentric location is excellent. And I know Annapolis was a long haul for some of the others.

10. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    I had no vested interest in moving farther West; I just figured since Fipe brought up meeting in Olney then I would suggest a place I know to be pleasant. But, for what it's worth, for those driving from the Eastern Shore meeting at Centennial Park would not have provided a whole lot of distance relief, only a few minutes less. I had actually been wondering about that when Centennial Park was suggested but did not say anything at the time.

I agree that driving 3.5 hours to attend our meeting is way too much. I wouldn't do it. So here we are back at square one. Where are we going to meet? Annapolis was not a hardship for me; the drive was not that far. If it makes for a better commute for Sithspawn and Naboo Pop that's fine with me. Maybe someplace at the City Dock in Annapolis?

M.M.

11. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    My suggestion for Centennial park was in hopes that we could include our "far out west" bretheren/sisteren (heh, I said sisteren). IE Frederick, Westminster. If we have the meeting in Annapolis, it will be just as far for them as it will for the Easter Shorers to Olney or Centennial.

So, we can't please everyone all the time, is the bottom line. My thought is: Find out WHO can come, and suit THEM as best as we can. It sounds like the Eastern Shore folk CAN come, but I haven't heard anything from the western half of MD, so...in the end, Annapolis again would be best.

My concern is that we don't have the meeting in Annapolis every month, that makes for alot of driving for people even in Catonsville and others close to Baltimore on the west side.

-gh0stdevil/Chris

12. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    What ever happend to the Inner Harbour, or that Wendys at Hoyts Nurserys? They were a little further for me, but was still a reasonable commute. Was it not more centrally located for most?

13. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I don't know about Fipe, but Annapolis was just fine for me last time. It was a lot closer than Baltimore for me. Inner Harbor isn't too bad, only 1.5 hrs for me, but a place like the White Marsh mall where our first meeting happened to be was more like 2.5 hours. The Hoyts at W. Nursery was also about 1.5 hrs. So, anything about 2 hrs from St. Mary's County is fine by me.

Here's an idea for the long distance travelers: find a fanforce member you cn shack up with for a night. That way you can drive up Friday night and go to the meeting on Saturday. A possible solution folks?

14. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Hoyts at West Nursery was perfect for me. If that's where the majority wants to go, that's fine with me.

The Western MD fanforce is starting up to handle those in that region. So, maybe we should try to cater more to those in the east. And then, every once in a while, we can have a meeting with the Western fanforce part.

15. kasjedi

kasjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Hoyt's is an awkward location - I think - for socializing unless there is someplace besides Wendy's to meet. Esp. now that it sounds like turn out is higher.

Harbor area in Annapolis is nice - but parking sucks - esp. in the summer. If I have to drive 1.5 hours, I want parking to be easy...... Baltimore Inner Harbor parking is easier, I liked the idea of Annapolis Mall - I just couldn't make that meeting. Slightly closer to Eastern Shore than Olney - more like the Hoyt's location - could be Arundel Mills Mall area. There are a couple of restaurants in the mall and a food court. It's off 100 on the east side of 95.

There's also the concept of payback - we could stick with the Olney location for now - and make sithspawn and Naboopop drive for this one - but we could agree to go to the Eastern Shore this fall after beach traffic. I'd offer housing --- but my house will likely have wet paint that weekend and no furniture yet.

kasjedi

16. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Members of the Council:
    I see that the idea has began to take shape. We have more people beginning to get concern about our fellows.

I know that you already know that I'm doing a Poll, in order to have DATA for future references. If we can have an idea of where people live we can try to do a big get together for the COMPLETE MD Fan Force (I'm talking about West meet the East). I just hope that people from the West MD can answer that poll.

As for the meeting, so far I have been comfy with the locations... though I never went to Hoyt's. So, anyplace you decided is good. Remember, I'm not here to bring uncertainity or doubt, just trying to be fair to everybody.

Sithspawn35: My apologies if the Idea resulted in a trip to far away from you. But I try to be as fair as possible for everyone.

Mogook: Have you decided a place for the meeting?

Thanks for reading this post.
    May the Force be with you... always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MARYLAND FAN FORCE COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

17. Bria-Tharen

Bria-Tharen Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2002
    Yikes, this is all too confusing for me! >.<
    I doubt I'll make it, Saturdays are bad for me...I work 6 days a week usually. Also, my friend is in town from TX until August 31st & she's not quite a SW fanatic...So I'm not dragging her out w/me. Besides, I'd have to bring my BIG kitty, Lord Vader & that I don't know about...He'd end up chasing all the dogs & probably trying to eat a couple...Seriously, small dogs, he treats like ping pong ball, chew toys. The boy is outta control! But here's a pic!

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/46dd6fc6/bc/Lord+Vader/Demon+Kitty+Vader.jpg?bcboBV9AoGCl9AX6

Umm, as far as Olney is concerned tho...I live 10 minutes from there & I doubt it's an hour & a half from Annap. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to Annap Mall, from where I live, if you take I-95-Rt. 50, blah blah.
    If you take 95, get off on exit 31 (Georgia Ave. North), stay on Georgia (Rt 97), it'd probably be about 20 minutes off the Highway. 97/Georgia runs straight into Olney/108 or whatever.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm new(ish) to these boards - please don't flame me :)

I'm also new to the USA and I live in Bethesda, MD (which is just outside DC, but I'm sure you guys all know that). I'd be interested in meeting some people even though I'm new to the boards and don't know people's nicks yet.

I see you are planning (maybe) to meet in Olney. I know there is a place called Olney just north of where I am - is this the place you are talking about ? Or are there more than one Olney in MD ?

Laters

M

19. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Nope, you got the right Olney. It's real close to you.

-gh0stdevil

20. sithspawn35

Jan 22, 2001
    I call on Supreme Chancellor Mogook to make an executive decision so that we all may plan accordingly once and for all.

21. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    Agreed, Sithspawn!

M.M.

P.S. Not to be picky, but Olney is not real close to Bethesda. Actually Baltimore and especially Columbia are way closer than Bethesda.

22. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I vote for Burkitsville! :D Just kidding, too many Blair Wenchs this time of year.

23. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I really don't won't to make an executive decision on this. It's a hard one to make. How does everyone feel about kasjedi's suggestion of Arundel Mills? There are a few restaurants in the mall along with a large foodcourt. And, there are fast food places outside the mall. There's also a Walmart right there.

This isn't a final decision, just a request to consider the suggestion. I really don't want to disadvantage those that have traveled long distances to our past meetings. Arundel Mills isn't far from our past meeting areas, so it shouldn't cause too much extra traveling for the longhaulers.

What do you all think?

24. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    Arundel Mills sounds good to me.

Tak

25. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    I think I can do it; it _looks_ to be about 45 minutes to an hour past the Bay Bridge. But I can't speak for Sithspawn, he's got a longer way to come before the Bridge.

Is AOTC still going to be playing there on the 20th? And I don't suppose it's in a digital projection room? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.