main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

82nd Acadamy Awards ... Now discussing the winner!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    "Avatar" James Horner
    "Fantastic Mr. Fox" Alexandre Desplat
    "The Hurt Locker" Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
    "Sherlock Holmes" Hans Zimmer
    "Up" Michael Giacchino

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Up, plz.

Okay, in all fairness I haven't seen/heard Hurt Locker or Mr. Fox yet, but Up was amazing, and at the very least better than Holmes or Avatar.

Though I will give Zimmer and Horner credit for delivering somewhat better than their usual hacky scores for these particular films.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree on Avatar and Up. I've not heard the rest yet...

4. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    My vote goes to either Horner or Zimmer. Both Avatar and Sherlock Holmes had some pretty awesome music.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Avatar is pretty indistinct to other Horner scores. I don't like the Sherlock Holmes score though, it's repetious and pretty bland

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    "Avatar is pretty indistinct to other Horner scores. "

What does this sentence mean? I am unclear...

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It sounds like a lot of what Horner has done in the past. The score doesn't really have a main theme or at least I didn't notice one.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    My guess is that it means a Horner score is a Horner score is a Horner score.

Like I said, I think it's better than average for him, but it's certainly no Zorro or Khan.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    While Avatar is very Hornerific, it coheres better than most and, even if his scores often sound similar, they almost always work wonderfully within the film. I'm okay with this nom.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, I'm less happy with. It is a pretty good score, but it's also all of, what, 15 minutes long? Certainly Desplat has better even within the other 5 scores he composed last year.

The Hurt Locker is a great movie, but the score is nothing to write home about.

Sherlock Holmes is catchy but repetitive and mixed much too loud in the movie.

Up has some excellent bits. I'm okay with it being on there even if I wouldn't have chosen it.

Anyway. Not a very impressive list.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Up deserves Oscars in just about every category more than Avatar does; this includes the score.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't think there's a front runner here.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And the Oscar goes to... Up! Michael Giacchino!

*cue music*

13. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Oh man, that interpretive dance to introduce the nominees was probably the weirdest thing I've seen in a while.

But other than that, all credit to Mike. He wrote a fantastic score.

Thank god it didn't go to Horner, the last thing he needs is an ego stroking.

14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I watched "UP" for the first time last night, and intentionally listened to the score while watching. Needless to say, I can see why it won the Oscar; it was ingenious due to its balance all over the board. The jazzy stuff in the beginning kept the soundtrack up-tempo with the slower, more methodical stuff during the middle and end.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    More so than ever, I really feel like I need to get into Giacchino's stuff. I first became aware of him with the Incredibles score, which I loved yet somehow never explored. Since then there are so many scores he's done that I need to listen to. I really need to catch the heck up.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, it took me a while to get into Giacchino, too.

I overlooked The Incredibles for a long time simply because I think giving a James Bond score to a movie all about superheros is a dumb idea. But when I ignore that and just focus on the music itself, it's pretty awesome.

The double-whammy of Star Trek and Up last summer finally won me over to full-fledged fan status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.