main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

9-11 Controversy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Mr_Sith2, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Sith2

Mr_Sith2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    I was just reading the Video Games Forum and clicked on a Locked Thread in there, dedicated to 9-11. It was locked due to JP-30 saying that it belonged in the Amphitheatre and the JCC. So, I peruse over to 3.SA and find a thread there dedicated to 9-11, well over 9 Pages Long. So, Does it belong anywhere, or strickened to The JCC?

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Is there anything Star Wars-related about the 9/11 tragedy?

No.

Then discussion about it doesn't belong anywhere outside Community forums.

3. Mr_Sith2

Mr_Sith2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    Im just wondering why In one Board its STill Open while in the Other its not.

4. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I think its up to the forum leaders if there should be a thread.

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Last year the anniversary was well organised here and the decision was made to restrict all discussion to two linked threads, one in JCC for regular discussion and one in the Senate for more in-depth social commentary.

Obviously that level of co-ordination didn't happen this year.

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    "Every member deserves their own thread sooner or later." -PadméBra

7. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    It doesnt seem as big a deal this year as last year. I didnt realize what day it was until we had a moment of silence in my third period class. Last year everyone talked about it and this year it rarely came up.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Im just wondering why In one Board its STill Open while in the Other its not.

I was under the impression it would just be in YJCC & Senate again this year. But it appears it's up to the individual forum mods if they're going to allow a memorial thread in their forum. If 3SA want to allow a 9-11 thread, good for them.

Not exactly a "controversy", is it?

9. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Thats kinda werid to me, I know that typically if it doesn't belong in their froum despite the topics nationwide importance, they would still ask to have it moved to the correct area.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, the 3SA mods decided to make an exception in this case, and allow such a thread.

It's no big deal. Really.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Good for them, huh?

Ask the thousands who died on 9/11 how good it is for them. They need to be remembered in each individual forum.

12. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Erm, I really don't think that it's this big of a deal. Of course it's a tragedy, and of course they deserved to be remembered, but why don't you do the remembering, and make the few extra clicks to get to the right forum of remembrance.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Ask the thousands who died on 9/11 how good it is for them. They need to be remembered in each individual forum.

Good lord. No they don't. Yes, its a sad day, yes it was a tragedy. Having a couple of remeberance threads is a good thing. But there's no need to dwell on it. If 3SA wants to have a thread that's fine. Jp decided not to, and that's fine. Its rediculous to think that every single forum needs to have a thread on this. How is having a thread in every forum good for the people who died?

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > They need to be remembered in each individual forum.

Umm. No they don't.

Sorry if that sounds cold. But there are places to post about 9-11. There are at least 3 threads at the JC, possibly more.

But I'm under no obligation to provide further places of remembrance in the Games or LFP forum.

If you want to make a statement to be read by the Gamers on the tragic loss of life that day, put it in your sig and post anywhere in the Games Forum. Or seek out the social thread and leave a note there.

Edit 2: Decided the last sentence wasn't necessary.

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I must concur with all who have already posted, that it is irrelevant to have a dozen 9/11 threads in a dozen different forums.

We don't need to remember them in Lit nor in CT. It's not part of SW in those forums, so they should be in the community forums.

Granted, it is up to the mods discretion to allow one or not, but we just don't need that many in so many forums.

16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Each year, more than eleven million children die from the effects of disease and inadequate nutrition.
    -World Health Organization

Do the math. 11,000,000 divided by 365 is over 30,000. On your average day, 30,000 children die of disease or malnutrition around the world. Once again, do the math. Fewer than 5,000 died on 9/11 due to terrorist attacks ? assuming that 9/11 is an average day in other respects, over six times as many people (children) died that day due to mostly preventable causes. About the same number died the next day. About the same number died the next day. About the same number died the next day. And so on and so forth.

Yes, the death of 5,000 people was a tragedy. But it wasn?t the end of the world. And in terms of human life lost and suffering caused, it?s petty compared to what places like Bosnia, Rwanda, and Somalia have gone through.

We don't need anything else special for 9/11.

17. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    We don't need anything else special for 9/11.

There's a difference between dying that way, and dying due to the malicious ill-will of another.

the United States suffered an assault upon it's unarmed citizens who had not warrented such violence wrought upon them.

Furthermore, a lot of people died in the aftermath trying to save lives. To suggest that the 9/11 attack is lesser than the starvation of children worldwide is to compare apples and oranges.

Yes, they both are suffering, but one is due to economic and socio-economic issues that we are trying to allieviate due to good will and aid. The other is a horrible act of violence and hatred.

I'm sorry, but I find it appalling you'd ever compare the two, Gandolf.

-GAT

18. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I find it appalling you'd ever compare the two, Gandolf.

I agree. Apples and oranges if I've ever seen it.

19. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    There's no need for having a thread for each forum.

And Gandolf's post basically summed up what I think about the over-importance people give to 9/11.

Furthermore, a lot of people died in the aftermath trying to save lives. To suggest that the 9/11 attack is lesser than the starvation of children worldwide is to compare apples and oranges.

It's not less than the starving children. It's the same and I don't see threads all over trying to remind people of what goes on in 3rd world countries.

20. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    All right, when it comes down to it, comparing 11,000,000 children dying of malnutrician and disease each year to a one time event of +/- 4,000 people dying isn?t really fair. After all, those 4,000 people were murdered, rather than killed by apathy.

Of course, in the last century there has been the genecide of the Armenians in Turkey, millions of deaths due to reforms and purges in Communist Russia, China and Cambodia, genecide in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Burma, Cambodia, East Timor, The Holocaust, Rwanda and Burundi, Sudan, Somalia? the list does go on now, doesn?t it? Maybe instead of mourning the deaths of just four thousand innocent people, we should have a universal day of mourning for the millions of innocent people who have died because people didn?t like their race.

Anyhow, this is turning into a Senate discussion, so I?m redirecting this there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.