main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

9 Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by muymaul, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    In the article on TFN's main webpage about Lucas' future after Star Wars, there is an interesting statement by Lucas. If you read the whole article, it says:

Lucas also told me that he and Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson have become good friends, commiserating with each other in Australia and New Zealand on their shoots about making their two series. "Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one book." Of course, Lucas wrote his own book, but the mythology harkens back to Lord of the Rings. "We discuss it a lot because they are similar in nature," said Lucas.

I'm making nine two-hour movies! It could be that Lucas really didn't mean that, but I find it quite interesting that he would say that. Could we actually be looking at 3 more Star Wars movies after Ep3? I guess we will know if they don't advertise it as the last Star Wars movie ever.

2. slockner

slockner Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
    Its funny to. You would think this kind of information would have been put on the main page with the rest of the news about the article. If this is true what i wounder how it will effet the rest of the story line.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, I know GL confirmed months ago there wouldn't be ep7-9, but my mum said that on the radio, someone said Gl is thiking about it.

Of course, I'll believe it when TF.N report it :)

4. GrandMoffFett

GrandMoffFett Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah - I was kinda wondering about that comment myself. Whether it was just being thoughtless in his response or what, you'd think that the Fox News person would have caught it too. But then, maybe Lucas knows he's just pulling our chains, too.

But as someone recently said, "I can dream, can't I?"

5. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Maybe Episode III will open up a plot line for the post-ROTJ universe...

6. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'd personally love to see a trilogy of trilogies! But I just don't see how it can work? Perhaps if GL secretly changes Epsiode I to Episode IV and he discusses how the sith were wiped out and where palpatine came from. But that would be ridiculous ;).

7. newjack

newjack Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    Thats what i was thinking ,3 movies in between the PT and the OT,these movies will probably be 100%cgi,actors and all.Maybe Peter Jackson and Lucas would team up and make the best movies ever made.

8. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    Could it be true?...

9. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001

Nope, see below.

Clarification of Fox Interview with George Lucas
    Wed, Jan 15, 03 01:30:10 PM EST

We posted yesterday about an interview by Fox News with George Lucas (see Holonet article). In the interview many sharp eyed Star Wars fans noted this statement:

"Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one book."
    We contacted Lucas Film for a comment and a Lucas Film Spokesperson had this to say:

As many fans are already aware of, there are going to be just 6 movies. Unfortunately, George was misquoted in the interview about number of movies in the Star Wars series. Currently Lucas Film is in preproduction for Episode 3, the last Star Wars movie."

10. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    I even read that report and didn't catch that. I wouldn't say it's definite. But it's in that direction. If it was a reporter mistake, they'd be entitled to fix it right? But I don't that is the case. If it was GL slipping it in to see if we are paying attention. Well that is a possibility. If it was GL slipping up it may be that at least he is thinking about it and the idea has worked it's way into his subconscious.

Now is the time for him to be thinking of this. As he is working on Episode III he realizes this is the end. But if it was the end, wouldn't you be afraid you didn't get to fit in every idea you wanted to? Has GL put into SW all the ideas he wanted? Or is another trilogy needed or at least desired? I mean you know these thoughts have to be running through his head.

Now these article got me thinking. You know if GL is getting all buddy buddy with PJ. That's great. GL says he wants to focus on other works and you can't blame him for that. But let's say GL has been impressed with PJ's ability (and sincerity) to transform the LOTR onto the big screen with all respects to Tolkien. Do you see what I am getting at here? Has PJ proved that if GL were to write the story for 7,8, and 9 that he (PJ) would be the most suitable person to direct and take those ideas on paper to the big screen? Maybe. Maybe not. Let's not get too excited yet(or upset depending on your view.) Me, I think it would be great. Everyone is happy this way. Think about it. We get more SW. GL gets to flesh out more concepts and still have fun with his "baby" and still be allowed to work on other works of more personal interest. PJ has the youth, sincerity, and work ethic to pull his part off. Fans from LOTR and SW will have a chance to put down petty differences and enjoy more great movies. I see a lot of benefits from this. I hope it happens.

As for what would the trilogy be about? Well Luke of course. An older Luke. A new Order for the Jedi, a New Republic. How will they be created so that they do not fall into the pitfalls of their predecessors? A deeper look into the Force. And there would be balance in that the first trilogy deals with Anakin. The second deals with Anakin and Luke. And the third deals with Luke. These are just basic ideas that could really be fleshed out to make some interesting SW sequels to cap off the series.

Edit: Oh well just saw Darth Horax's post. Well, it's still an idea.

11. muymaul

Jun 24, 1999
    I still don't see how they could say that Lucas was "misquoted" in the interview. I don't think the interviewer would have mixed that up. I agree with the previous poster. I think that Lucas may be thinking about doing another three, at least considering it. We all know that he said he would have to wait another 10 or so years before he would work on another trilogy which would take another 10 years and he would be to old by then. Maybe he would get someone else to direct the movies?

I still think the biggest stumbling block would be what the story would be about. Things were pretty well resolved at the end of ROTJ. I guess we will see for certain once the advertising for Ep.3 starts. I doubt Lucas would call that the last SW movie and then come out with another three. So between now and then he really has to consider whether or not he will do Ep. 7-9.

12. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    "I still don't see how they could say that Lucas was "misquoted" in the interview. I don't think the interviewer would have mixed that up. I agree with the previous poster. I think that Lucas may be thinking about doing another three, at least considering it."

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

You know, the guy who created the Bigfoot myth died a few months back, and admitted to the world that it was all fake, he lied. He never saw anything, he just dressed up his wife in a monkey costume, and took bad video of her in the forest. Thats it.

And there are still some people who believe...

Amazing.

13. muymaul

Jun 24, 1999
    I wasn't saying that Lucasfilms was wrong and that they are really secretly planning on doing nine films. I would have believed their explanation more if they would have said Lucas misspoke when he said that. I just have difficulty with Lucas saying "six" and the inteviewer heard "nine." Am I saying that it couldn't happen? No. I am just saying that the explanation didn't seem the best to me.

Hey, I am happy with whatever SW movies I can get. If there are not another three movies, it won't make a big deal to me since I wasn't expecting them anyway. All I wanted to point out is that to me, if Lucas ever considered doing another three movies, now would be the time to do it, before he makes Ep.3.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    There will never be more than 6 Star Wars films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.