main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

90s POTF line originally SNES tie-in figures?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Lizardmonkey, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002

Is there truth in the idea that the nineties revival SW line from Kenner/Hasbro were sculpted 'buff' because they were, in fact, originally Super Star Wars Nintendo-game tie-ins, repackaged at the last minute?

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow I hadn't heard that one before. Where did you hear it?

I searched rebelscum's POTF2 page and they don't mention anything about it.

POTF2

If memory serves, the "Super Star Wars" games were released in '92 or '93, so it was before the POTF2 launch.

I think the revival of the toy line came as a result of the renewed interest created by the Tim Zahn novels, plus the fact that the OT was released in a box set that year for what Lucas said would be the final time in their original form [he was making the SE's at that point]. Also he was in pre-production on the 'Phantom Menace'.

My best guess as to why they're so buff is, like Major League baseball players of that era, they gave into the temptation of performance enhancers like steroids and HGH :p.

BTW, on a side note, those games rocked didn't they? Great graphics. Hard as heck though.

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I've never heard that rumor either. The explanation I've read about the figures 'buff' appearance was they were trying to appeal to a new generation of kids/fans by making the figures more physical and 'action-ready'. That's the same reason the early figures in this line came with weapons and accessories that never appeared in the films.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    And here I figured it was a reaction to the fact that the original SW went down right about the time the original He-Man line became popular...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.