main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

90's Spider-Man question

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Black-Tiger, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    I?m a fan of the series and am now collecting the much missed show on DVD, which is being released in its full run over here in the UK. But my burning question is, does anyone know why it seemingly finished mid story at the end of Season 5 before Spidey could find Mary Jane? Real strange. :confused:

EDIT: Fixed the spelling of Spider-Man in the title.

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    The wanted to make a spinoff cartoon called Spider-Man Unlimited. Unlimited was terrible I might add. Wiki has a decent write up on Spider-Man Unlimited.

Now I'm just waiting for Spider-Fan to come blow my answer outta the water.

3. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Hey, that's awful. From what I can tell they didn't even have the same voices carry over from the original series! How bad can you get!

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    None of the voices are the same. The new Batman voice off the Batman was Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I'm checking them out on youtube but they are less than impressive.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Not to get overly snarky, but I expect a fan of the character to spell his name right! It's "Spider-Man", not "Spiderman"! :mad:

:p

6. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, that's very geeky of you. Actually, I knew about that spelling but I like to spell it "Spiderman", just like "Superman" rather than "Super-Man". Tell you what, you spell it your way and I'll spell it my way. :)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's not "my way", it's how the character's name is spelled in all literature and media. I'll leave it at that.

9. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Hah! The correct English is to spell the word "colour" NOT "color", so does that mean Americans can't spell? :confused:

So how do you explain "Superman"? Superman isn't Clark Kent's last name either, it's Kent. He's called "Superman" because he's a "Super Man", but his name's still spelt "Superman". :-B

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Spider-Man is spelled with a hyphen because Stan Lee wanted to differentiate between him and Superman. If someone is just scanning titles of books Spider-Man is going to jump out at them more than Superman is.

Superman
    Spider-Man

Superman
    Spiderman

See the difference?

11. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it's spelled Spider-Mon and he's Jamaican.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Actually thats mostly correct. The Fox Kids series was canceled and re-imagined as a semi-continuous but off world variation known as Spider-Man Unlimited. Someone in charge (can't recall who) didn't want the continuity of the show to confuse people when the movie would eventually come out (they were expecting it sooner rather than later I suppose), and they decided to set the new series in a different world that wouldn't conflict with the film's adaptation. Unfortunately by that time some of the driving creative forces behind the first series were left out of the loop and there was a significant decline in quality. And the change wouldn't matter as it killed the series in the first season (though there were attempts to revive it) and the series would be long gone by the time the movie came out. Instead to correspond with the movie we got the equally dull MTV series.

I won't say Unlimited was unwatchable but by comparison it was a significant let down, after a series that tried very hard to stay true to much of the comics continuity (though frequently deviated).

There is more to it and I can't remember all the details. However I have a book at home that outlines all this at great length and will look it up and give more precise details.

As for the spelling issue as was outlined the use of the hyphen and capital M was intentional on Stan Lee's behalf to differentiate the character from his counterpart in the Distinguished Competition's publications. Its not a matter of proper use of language but respecting the distinction set forth by the creator (though to be fair even he frequently forgot in the earliest issues and still wrote it "Spiderman" ;))

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    The MTV spider-man was horrible. The only reason it was made was so Mainframe.CA could show off some technical accomplishment involving panning across scenery in a novel way that used to be very difficult and expensive. Mainframe.ca put no effort into writing, casting, or character animation. That's why everyone looks like a bad video-game construct.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I also get the feeling it may have been rushed to cash in on the film's success. What bugs me is they leave it on a cliffhanger. :p

15. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    ?What bugs me?? God, we?ve got a comedian amongst us! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.