main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA _______ should be illegal/legal

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crazybirdman, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    What stuff do you think should be legal? Like being able to drive 80 mph on the freeway.
    What do you think should be illegal? Besides stupidity, try to be more specific than that.

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Well, I personally think you should be able to drive without a seatbelt or a helmet (motorcycles). If you want to be stupid and get yourself killed in an accident, that should be up to you. I'd never do it, but a lot of people just don't like seatbelts so I don't see why they should be forced to wear them.

As for things that should be illegal, I'd have to think about that some more. Most of the things I might say are really more of annoyances that aren't that bad.

EDIT: I just thought of another one actually. Drinking at 18. You're old enough to vote, join the military (read: die for your country), and drive, yet you're not old enough to drink. What is up with that? Of course, many base commanders will let their underage people drink anyway, but still.

3. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    Buzzing residentual areas should be legal. I know, there's that whole 'you have to stay above this many feet', but where's the fun in that? I want to take a P-51 and bring it down to the deck!

4. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm 'down with that', Brett! :D

Legal... Medicinal use of pot - we did vote for it, but the Feds say no.
    And, everything that's legal in Nevada, make it legal in CA too! We can really use the Tax revenue to bail us out of the budget crunch!

"The gods have two ways of punishing us mortals... The first, is to deny us our dreams - the second, is to grant them."
    -- Oscar Wilde

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yay for Barry.... i agree with the drinking at 18 as well. It's stupid that once you hit college and are able to vote and kill yourself with ciggaretts,t hat you can't kill brain cells by drinking. No fun!

6. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    We can really use the Tax revenue to bail us out of the budget crunch!

That is a VERY poor excuse for making things legal. And in case you don't know, not that it's illegal here right now, when New York raised the taxes on cigarettes to cover their budget crunch, cigarette purchases went DOWN 47%. So much for all that money they were gonna take in from the higher tax.

And I'm not so sure about EVERYTHING that's legal being made that way in California. You'd have to be really careful with all that stuff. Medicinal marijuana, hmm, don't really know much about it, except that I know we have other medicines that can help with the same thing (I always hear glaucoma used as an example, but the drugs for that are made from natural substances as well, so it doesn't hold weight with me anymore).

7. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    I must warn you all, I'm VERY VERY vocal about this one...

I think it should be illegal for the US military to destroy all their aircraft. At least one example, including ALL famous aircraft (like say the first F-18 to fly into Iraq, or the first F-18 to be stationed at El Toro) should be saved and either put into the Air Force museum, or donated to museums around the world. It's a mistake that we've paid for already from World War 2. Thank goodness there was one commander who saw the same way I do and he desperatly tried to get all the aircraft he could saved. But, even with that, there are still quite a few extinct warbirds from WW2 that met the scrapping yard. Chino Airport (called Cal Aero Field in World War 2) was a GIANT scrapping place. At the Planes of Fame Museum, they have photos of thousands of now rare aircraft lined up for scrap. B-17s, B-24s, P-38s, B-25s, etc. etc. etc. Thousands and thousands as far as the photos are taken. All of them were soon scrapped. Granted they could have known at the time that a $100,000 aircraft would be worth $2.5+ Million 50 years later, but still... Thank GOODNESS some of the historical ones were saved like the 'Enola Gay', 'Box's Car', 'Memphis Belle' (although she sat outside subject to weather and vandals for years until restored and put into a monument). I believe there is only one B-26 Murader left in the world, and that's 'Flak Bait' (just the front fueslage) at the NASM. But not limited to those events, aircraft like the last Choper to leave Saigon in Vietnam, Dottlie's plane in the Doolittle Raids, the first F-86 to drop a MiG in Korea, the first F-4 Phantom to dogfight over Vietnam, the first American plane to fly over Berlin, etc. Most of these were scrapped or destroyed. It is really only to the amazing strict dedication of individuals like Ed Mahoney that we still can see some of these aircraft. He saved the LAST N9MB Flying Wing from the scrap pile. The world's LAST Japanese Raiden is at the museum. The world's ONLY Japanese Zero (out of the only two REAL Zeros in the world) with an original engine is at the museum.
    So, I really honestly think that there should be something put in for the historical preservation and protection of historical aicraft through history. If not for the dedication of museums to keep the history alive, aircraft like the B-17 might just be a fading memory that slowley dissappears as fast as the Veterans of World War 2 dissappear...

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Why don't you start some kind of petition or something to have such a law put in place? I assume it's something that would be taken care of by the historical preservation society, but I don't know.

9. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    There have been attempts, but none have succeeded. I mean, just recently some politition (sp) tried to pass a bill that would effectivly ground and clip the wings off of just about all warbirds. It was a demilitarize act that would demilitarize any ex-military vehicles/weapons that could be used as weapons against the US. So, that'd mean taking the wings off of a P-51 because they have the slots to add .50 cals in. That bill was voted down THANK GOODNESS!

10. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Judges should be allowed to throw out stupid law suits. People who are in it for easy money. That lady who sued becasue she burned herself with hot coffee? That crap shoulda never made in into the court system. Valuble tax dollars wasted!!

11. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Actually, I've read a little about that. It's not that the judges can't throw them out, it's that they can only throw them out if the argument has no merit whatsoever. In other words, if the lawyer presents a good argument to the judge, the judge is practically forced to allow the lawsuit to continue.

Thankfully we've had a few better judges recently as some newer lawsuits have been thrown out like the people who were suing McDonald's because their kid got fat.

12. Silent_Bob_West

Silent_Bob_West Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    If someone comes into this country undocummented and all they do is work in jobs that even legal welfare recipients wouldn't even take, that should not be a crime. There is more welfare fraud commited by people who are here legally than those illegally. I also think it should be illegal for local law enforcement to do the job of border patrol and immigration like the Anaheim Police does.

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    If someone comes into this country undocummented and all they do is work in jobs that even legal welfare recipients wouldn't even take, that should not be a crime.

Maybe it shouldn't, but who says the only people that could fill those jobs are legal welfare recipients? I'm sure there are plenty of people that are willing to do whatever they need to to make ends meet (I know a few). If we're going to allow them to work at the jobs, we need to figure out someway of making sure they pay their taxes too.

I also think it should be illegal for local law enforcement to do the job of border patrol and immigration like the Anaheim Police does.

I agree, but when was the last time Anaheim police were doing the job of the border patrol? I know I've only read about 1 incident, and that was a month or so ago. Please fill us in if this is happening on a regular basis.

14. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    Sex with forest creatures should be illegal.

Wait, I mean legal.

15. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Michael Jackson should be illegal.

16. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    It should be illegal to have instructions in braille at the drive up ATM's

17. Silent_Bob_West

May 19, 2002
    Maybe it shouldn't, but who says the only people that could fill those jobs are legal welfare recipients? I'm sure there are plenty of people that are willing to do whatever they need to to make ends meet (I know a few).

Who are these people and are they willing to clean my house. If they do exist, they are far and few between. Not too many people will pick lettuce for 50 cents an hour if they can make more on welfare.

If we're going to allow them to work at the jobs, we need to figure out someway of making sure they pay their taxes too.

How do you tax someone who only makes 50 cents an hour? Besides they pay their taxes other ways when they buy stuff in stores or when they buy gas and even cigarettes

I agree, but when was the last time Anaheim police were doing the job of the border patrol? I know I've only read about 1 incident, and that was a month or so ago. Please fill us in if this is happening on a regular basis.

The Anaheim Poice has an agreement with border patrol that allows them to turn in names of people without identification.

18. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Not too many people will pick lettuce for 50 cents an hour if they can make more on welfare.

So we should encourage companies to break the law? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Documented or not, we have a minimum wage. If you know of a company that is paying its workers under that, you have a duty to report them. Or is this just "well of course they're not being paid a real wage, they're all illegal"? And by your logic, we should fix welfare, not make it easier for undocumented workers to get jobs.

How do you tax someone who only makes 50 cents an hour? Besides they pay their taxes other ways when they buy stuff in stores or when they buy gas and even cigarettes

And you know this for a fact how? If you're referring to the guys you see sitting outside Home Depot, last I checked, they got picked up by the people who are going to pay them, so no tax money from gas. Also, it's quite well known that most undocumented workers send whatever money they can home and only keep what they absolutely need. And I was referring to income tax, not sales tax. If I only had to pay sales tax, life would be grand.

The Anaheim Poice has an agreement with border patrol that allows them to turn in names of people without identification.

Oh, ok. I'm not to sure I disagree with that. It's not like the Anaheim police are doing all the processing and paperwork. They're just giving border patrol a list of names and then border patrol takes it from there. I'd bet that's happening more since 9/11, what with the Homeland Security stuff thats been going on.

Let's try to keep this thread to factual stuff and less conjecture.

19. Silent_Bob_West

May 19, 2002
    I have a better idea. Without admitting defeat or victory, lets just end this segment of the thread. The purpose of this thread was to state opinions about what should be legal or illegal. If you wish to debate this topic further, I can start a yahoo or MSN group about the pros and cons of undocumented immigrants(if one doesn't already exist) and we can debate each other there all we want. I never intended for this remark I made to turn into a heated debate here. I don't beleive that most of my remarks were conjecture. I admit I have a bit of passion for this subject because I deal with this matter myself and I know many people(and realatives) who are undocummented. Feel free to report me to Homeland Security if you want(just kidding). I am aware that neither side will ever agree on a compromise to this particular issue. This particular problem has many culprits on both sides. You can try to create laws or limit services but these people will still come. Our existing laws only treat the symptoms of his problem but it will never solve it. The only regret I have is that I wasted space on this thread to discuss this. Consider this my last remark on this issue unless I put a link to another thread.
    Peace

20. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    You can try to create laws or limit services but these people will still come. Our existing laws only treat the symptoms of his problem but it will never solve it.

Ah yes, that's the crux of it. It all comes down to Border Patrol. Give them the power and the ability and they'll stop it. Hinder them, as is really what's being done now, and nothing will change.

This will also be my last post on the subject. I just don't like it when people throw out statements without thinking about the consequences. The messages on this thread that haven't started any debate are like that because the statements were well thought out and really do make good sense (I'm open to debate any of the above topics as well off thread).

21. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It should be legal to give the Vice Chancellor of the SDSWS all the free lightsabers he wants. Oh wait, it is! Pony up, people!! :)

It should be illegal for muppets to drive Cadillac Escalades. Especially 800 year old muppets who are too short to see over the steering wheel, when they're rolling on their 24" dubs bumpin Snoop Dogg. That's just dangerous.

22. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    yes the DMV should definitly give the driving test more often. Maybe aver 10 years or so. Too many people that drive poorly (of all ages) are on the road.

It should also be illegal to slow down to look at an accident on the side of the road. I'm not sure how that would work, but there needs to be a hefty fine attached.

23. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    agreed, crazybirdman. driving tests should be readministered every 5 years or so.

"driving school" should be made illegal! it's what u have to take when u get a ticket, and is the stupidest crap ever. my dad got a ticket when I was 12 years old, and I did the driving school online for him, and I got every question right! they were all plain common sense, but, obviously, more than common sense is needed to drive.

makeup while driving should be made illegal. cell phones are bad enough, but how the hell do those women SEE when they're applying MASCARA while driving their gigantic offroad SUVs on smooth suburbian roads?!!!

24. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    You must be from LA. In OC, you can't take traffic school online. At least, the last time I took it, about a year or so ago, you couldn't. And it was for that exact reason. I think they give you a week or so to finish the questions. Everywhere I've read, the questions were cake and most people got it done in an hour or so.

You have to remember something else. Traffic school is suppose to be inconvenient. You broke the law and now you want it to stay off your record. It's that simple.

Driving school, on the other hand, should be required. It's way to easy to pass the written exam and then just drive yourself around for a while before taking the behind the wheel test (assuming you're 25+). It's required to go to CHP motorcycle school if you want to drive a motorcycle before you're 18. After that, I think it's $275. And worth every penny I might add. In 3 days they give you 5 years worth of information and experience. The test was nerve wracking as hell, but it does teach you A LOT of stuff. They should really require something similar for automobile drivers.

25. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    well, i live in OC, and have all my life. i took the traffic skool thing for my dad about 4 years ago, when i was 12. I hadnt broken the law, my dad had.

i just think that it should be made harder, since an unlicked cub (what i was @ age 12) can pass it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.