main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN ______MOVIES__(edit to include TV)__opinions and news.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I cant wait to see the Dark knight. I will see in in a good old fashion theater instead of i Max first because I dont want to take the chance of i Max cutting anything out for time reasons.

2. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Casey & I seen Hancock on Saturday. It was good, not great. I don't think it warrants the bad reviews its getting.
    There is some really funny stuff with WS being a rude,drunk guy that dosent care what anybody thinks of him.

3. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    The Dark Knight redefines the "Comic book" movie. Its brilliance is masked by its insanity. The story is so intense that you, as did the first Batman forget your watching a comic book movie .
    Christoper Nolan is quickly becoming my favorite director . From start to finish I found my self sweating, My pulse betting at a high rate and to be blunt I have not had such a good time in the theaters for many years (not including a SW movie)
    Do yourself a BIG favor, GO see the Dark Knight right away.
    TDK is nothing short of perfection.

4. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Saw it at midnight Thursday night with Jennifer...then we went again Friday at 7:30pm. Three words to describe my reaction to this film;

Holy friggin' crap.

This movie is epic?it is superb?it is so incredibly well-crafted (technically speaking)...and so lovingly executed in the most precise, meticulous, and thorough way possible. It is cinema as entertainment, as art, as statement, as pure emotion. It is every single thing I look for in a film and then some. And when I say the film is lovingly executed...I mean in the way that it is so friggin' loyal to the source material and the pure essences of the characters. At one point during our first viewing, I turned to Jennifer and whispered in her ear; "This film is like a Batman fan's wet-dream."

************ SLIGHT/MINOR SPOILERS ALERT *********************

The script is so good; the parallels, symbolism, morals, the questions it raises, the way it makes you think...it's just brilliantly well-written. The tragedy of the circumstances and characters is nearly Shakespearean in its execution; so many passionate, obsessed, and devoted people...all committed to their causes...and destined to meet headlong in a way that will be both spectacular and emotionally heart-wrenching. You can tell that Christopher and Johnathan Nolan know the Batman legend and source material inside and out. I don't want to give anything away...but, these guys must be fans...true fans who are respectful to both what has come before and what any Batman fan loves and wants to see.

The editing is tighter than tight and when the film was over...I simply refused to believe that two-and-a-half hours had passed. It just didn't feel like it because, to me the pacing was so fluid. And, looking back on the film after a second viewing; I just don't know how they could've left anything out without seriously damaging the effectiveness of the film.

As for the acting; wow. Every-single-person is so perfectly cast in this film. Oldman's portrayal of Jim Gordon and his relationship with Batman in this film is spot-on; there's an implied and unspoken trust that is at once slightly odd while also being endearing and fortifying. Oldman's performance is so damn good; the perfect combination of nuance, channeled, focused, and tempered passion, and stoicism until the finale...and even then, he's a man fighting to maintain control of the chaos sweeping around him. And Bale's mastery of the characters of Bruce Wayne and Batman were so perfect; Bale's Wayne is almost laughable in his exaggerated playboy lifestyle along with his arrogant approach to people. But, Bruce Wayne needs to come off this way so that no one will ever suspect the truth of who he really is. And Bale'sBatman is all dark, brooding, intense business...no nonsense; the Batman all comic-book fans deserve. The saddest part of Bruce Wayne's existence is that he can't be who he really is unless he's with the people he intimately trusts (Alfred, Rachel, Luscius)...but the Batman isn't quite him either. He's created this netherworld for himself...and Bale plays that role to perfection; he understands this material and his character better than any actor before him. His Batman is more symbol than hero...a man who understands that sometimes being a "hero" means sacrificing everything you hold dear for the cause that you believe in. Aaron Eckhardt is a revelation; I mean...I knew the guy was good, but he absolutely blew me away. I don't want to give away too much...but his pathos and emotion...man. Great stuff.

Finally...Heath Ledger. There IS no Heath Ledger in his performance; there is only Joker. And he is pure, unadulterated chaos, anarchy, and evil.

And the score...man, Hans Zimmer has created one of the most simple, pure, effective, and creepy motifs ever in his theme for The Joker. He definitely owes a tip of the hat to Penderecki's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"...but, his utilization of techniques similar to those used in this piece is a stroke of simplified, intense, disturbing genius. And James Newton Howard's offerings (

5. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Here is some recent news on Star Wars TV/Movies

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24171108-16947,00.html?from=public_rss

6. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    That is a good article. The cartoon is getting HORRIBLE reviews from the non star wars fans. But who cares what they think.

7. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Eric, I agree:)

and now for some news on the CARTOON NETWORK version of CLONE WARS,
    which
    PREMIERS____next FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Cartoon Network

or, as one of their pomo-s has it,

artoo Network
    (an animated R2D2 comes on the screen and re-constructs the CarToon Network logo)

Had a sneak (almost fooled my TIVO as it was not there just days before) preview,

Since it is TV, the promo shots look pretty good,
    or
    big screen animation seems to work better on TV for some reason for me.

AMBUSH____looks to be the premier Episode, and at this time has no repeat viewings,
    according to my TVIO search. It looks like Episode 2, airs right after that,
    and has several repeat opportunities over the next week or so.

The Sneak Preview, featured,

Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano)
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/one%20time%20use/blocks_image_0_1.jpg]

and

Matthew Wood (General Grievous)

It is easy to see that Ashley, will become a fan-boy favorite at conventions,
    (if this is not already so)

The preview is a mixture of live action (including R2D2 and Clones)
    animation from the film,
    and snippets from the upcomming show.

Music used that I recognized,

was the Asteriod Field theme,
    from Empire.

8. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Hey guys,

more on clones wars,

Here is a link to the midwestgarrison boards,
    that is available to the public at this time

http://www.midwestgarrison.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8967

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Since I cant spell it,,,, the new 007 movie.
    I really enjoyed it but my biggest problem was the director . He should be killed. The action parts are filmed SO CLOSE that you cant see whats going on in many seans. I hate that.

3 / 5

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    STAR WARS

Robot Chicken,

episode II

premiered on Adult Swim last night and is now all over the internet,

in cased you missed it.

I thought it was much better than the first one!

will keep quiet for now on most favorite parts,

so as to not post a spoiler:D

11. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    On AMC tomorrow night___Tuesday around 8 or 9 depending on the time at your location?

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-et-jackson3-2008dec03,0,2164822.story

Samuel L. Jackson____film-tribute

Includes, R2D2, C3P0 and George Lucas,

check it out:)

ps, it is highly edited:eek: , as I think it was more of a roast,

looking for un-edited version :D

12. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    typical hour awards show,

with George Lucas handing out the award by
    barely saying,

come up here and get it.

There was a lot of bleeping, which seems to be
    the new substitute word for swearing here in Illinois at least.

so I expect that it might get banned here sometime soon
    [face_laugh]

Evidently, Samuel was in a lot of "bleeping" movies:D

13. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/one%20time%20use/monsters.jpg]

I saw this at IMAX, and it was worth it,

for the first time since I saw an old black and white 3-Stooges 3-D movie,

3-D IMAX worked for me and worked quite well.

The movie it-self has some huge plot wholes, but is fun
    and well made.

Obviously, this is one where at home on the small screen really will
    hurt the viewing experience.

14. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    UP

Pixar has done it again!

I saw this in 3D and it was pretty gosh darn good.

Very sentimental however, with the kind of sound track I love.

Several nods to Star Wars occur in the film, including the Original Film as it opened in 1977,
    but that is in the end credit along with several fun inside jokes in general.

If you see it see how many you can get.

The short in front of this film is also a perfect match!

To say anything more, would be to spoil it.

except this is not a wham bang go like heck film.
    So, if you are looking for a carnavil ride, this is not that film.

MT

15. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    ICE AGE 3D

and yes, I saw it in 3D, and it was a who lot of fun.

If you liked 1 and/or 2, you will like this.

Does not have the fine detail and great music of UP,

but is a very well done film. They are really getting good

at putting stuff out in 3D.

_______________[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/one%20time%20use/ICEAGE.jpg]________________

16. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    I have been so behind in the movie arena. I FINALLY saw Transformers. It wasn't too bad. I liked it more than the first however (which I thought was ok) but felt that Optimus was a little out of character (compared to the fondly remembered Optimus from my childhood). I haven't got to see ANYTHING else other than that however. I will probably be going to see Harry Potter this Wednesday night however.

17. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    So, how was GI Joe? Anyone seen District 9?

18. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Would love to see these, but Grand Moff Wife has me seeing,

The Time Travelers Wife.

Maybe I am on the road to much:D

anyway, I like the films answer to some of the time travel paradoxes,

which is, we just do not have an answer, we just know it happens.

19. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    Jennifer and I saw "District 9" on Saturday and we both thought it was great; intelligent, emotional, gripping, exciting, sometimes funny, always smart. For us, it was a great end to the summer movie season!

20. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Good to hear on District 9, it looked to be pretty decent. Any other movies out there that fell under the radar?

21. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, definitely NOT "GI Joe". Between the advertising and film itself...that was a bombardment/assault on the senses. And not in a good way, methinks.

Oh well...at least Baroness was hot...

...sort of.

22. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I LOVED L O V E D GI JOE.

23. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I haven't seen it yet, but I did expect the Baroness to be raven haired and perhaps a little more sinister-dominatrix looking. She looks a lot more like a model in a baroness outfit.

24. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    true

25. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm dying to see both District 9 and Inglourious Basterds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.