main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN ______MOVIES__(edit to include TV)__opinions and news.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQueenMother

TheQueenMother Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Release Date: 12/23

Forgive me, I was typing this at midnight after a binge of no sleep and work for now 4 days. I-)

I was lucky enough to be able to screen Memoirs last night in Indy (at a brand new theater on the grounds of the Fashion Mall at Keystone Crossing, the theater in and of itself was a marvel and well worth the trip if you'd like to visit a nice Art House cinema bar included where you can take drinks into the movie). Keep in mind, I started at IU in hopes of learning enough about Japanese culture to travel to Japan and study the geisha one on one. That fell through but my love for the art and lifestyle hasn't and I've spent more hours studying the geisha than I have on Star Wars, hard to believe, I know. ;)

The visual first. All that you've heard about this movie being a beatiful film is very true. The color was spectacular, the scenery was just breathtaking and the movement was just awe inspiring. I keep telling people you could just watch the movie without sound and still be impressed. I found it very interesting to compare it with Chicago (Rob Marshall's other "big" movie) just on that sense.

The audio
    . Some friends and I were discussing this after the movie. Because the only real Japanese cast in any "main" role (Sayuri, the Chairman or Mameha) the accents were a bit, random. There was some Chineese, Japanese (of course) and even some Thai. It kind of dampened the effect for me I think but I'm bitter they couldn't find a Japanese woman to play a Japanese role. The music is by John Williams (yes THAT JW) with solos from Yo-Yo Ma and Itzah Pearlman (as I posted before) and just really fit with the movie. It really does deserve the acclaim it's been getting heading into this awards season.

Book vs. Film
    Not having read any reviews before going and not knowing any of my "geisha friends" who have seen the film (it's in limited release) I didn't know how closely it stuck to the book. Once I sat down (I missed the first part about Sayuri's childhood... long story) I could pick out passages, whole passages, from the book. From the spoken words to the punishment Chiyo (Sayuri's first name when she was a child, Sayuri is her geisha name) recieves, the book was all there. I was very impressed and have to say, out of all the book to movie adaptaions I've seen (there have been a lot) this has to be one of the best.

The geisha lifeGeisha are not prostitues. As Auston already got the lecture and a for reals cold shoulder for calling them that he can explain how I feel if you call them prostitues. Breaking down the term geisha, gei means "art" sha is just a generic for person. Together they mean artist. The geisha (of yesterday, the geisha of today are much different from those even in the 1940's as this movie was set) spend most of their young life training in dance, music (shamisen mainly or taiko (drums) and voice lessons) and the art of conversation. Their virginity is sold as a right to the highest bidder and that is that (this is not really practice anymore of course). I think that this distinction between the yujo (prositutes) and the geisha is pointed out very well, to the point of feeling beaten in. Maybe that's just me seeing it with prior knowledge.

All in all 24 hours after viewing the film, I still don't know what to think. I've waitied almost 5 years for this film to come to furition and now that it's here, and there is no more Star Wars, I feel kind of empty. It's sad I know but I think you of all people will understand this feeling. Even after Star Wars, I still had Memoirs and now... I think it was a wonderful adaptation of a fictional story. I hope it sparks some interest in the geisha, not just as a symbol of Japan, like Fuji-yama and the bullet train, but as a lifestyle. If anyone is interested in learning more about the truth, history and introcasies of the geisha world, called the flower and willow world, I can suggest a few books. Mainly Geisha by Liza Dably (the first and so far only A

2. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    ref,

Memoirs of a Geisha

much thanks for your thoughts on this. This is a film on my must see list.

I am looking forward to see how they present and handle the many differing
    ways that the role of a Geisha can be potrayed.

I too have always wanted to learn more of many asian cultures and consider myself
    luckey to have met with many international asian business people in over 30 yrs
    at my job at O-Hare airport.

Hope to report back my thoughts on this soon, and may include a list of
    other films that may give some more insights into this ancient culture.

Ed

3. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    well....still trying to get out to see Geisha,
    but in the meantime,

sorry

KING KONG......was just ok for me.

KING KONG (2005)

Great musical score by James Newton Howard,
    that included excelent tributes to the original.

and a pretty even film, except for stuff on the island
    where it becomes un-even or out of step with the rest
    of the film.

The film is way too long and strays from the story line
    about Kong.......who is the best actor in this film.

about 30 minutes of stuff from the island, almost all of
    it of the......no way, I don't believe this....kind
    can be left out.....sure, some of it is suppose to
    establish Kong as super strong.....but, we all know
    this already, and the rest is just over-done.

Ed

4. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    well, maybe no one has gone to the movies in January,
    I know that I have not, but, I did make up for it
    with a visit to NorthWestern University
    (let's just see them as a fellow Big 10 school:)

to attend something called b-fest
    (visit, www.b-fest.com to learn more)

and saw the following shows all in a row,
    just staying awake can be challenging,
    this is a one day 24-hour film marathon.

6:00 p.m. Introduction
    6:05 p.m. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
    sponsored by the Soylent Green Party
    7:40 p.m. Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D
    sponsored by the Grosse Point Village Idiots
    9:05 p.m. Godzilla (1998)
    11:25 p.m. Raffle for Door Prizes
    11:45 p.m. The Wizard of Speed and Time
    midnight Plan 9 From Outer Space
    sponsored by BCGCompHelp
    1:20 a.m. Coffy
    3:00 a.m. Mystery Short
    3:15 a.m. Gas-s-s-s!
    sponsored by Jabootu.com
    4:40 a.m. Tromeo & Juliet
    sponsored by Dungeon Games
    6:35 a.m. Mystery Short
    6:55 a.m. Graffiti Bridge
    sponsored by FilmBuffStuff.com
    8:35 a.m. Earth Girls are Easy
    10:15 a.m. Breakfast Break
    10:45 a.m. Rhinestone
    sponsored by Big Mak's Bad Movie Central
    12:45 p.m. Cobra Woman
    2:00 p.m. Mystery Short
    2:20 p.m. Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2
    sponsored by the Soylent Red Party
    3:55 p.m. King Kong (1933)
    sponsored by StompTokyo.com

Yes, these are old films, but do provide a point of interest
    for the geek/nerd audience that appreciate
    cult movies, off the wall movies, b-films, or really bad films!

To indicate the level of insanity and intense interest,
    they sold out 90 minutes after the box office opened two weeks ago.

B-fest is a public event, and people from all over,
    including other countries attend, and many are not involved
    with Northwestern at all.

Besides the t-shirts/posters/mugs/ and door prizes (about 50
    with many being brand new DVDs)....there are the movies themselves.

and so, from the list, I recomend you see,

THE WIZARD OF SPEED AND TIME (the 5-minute short)
    note: This film of this is tough to find in general,
    and the short evend tougher.

also, Plan 9 from Outer Space
    note: the entire audience throws paper plates during
    the flying saucer scenes.....how many?.....about 4 large lawn bags
    fill up at clean up time the next day.

Film that can be used to make any one tell you the truth,
    if only you will shut it off.......RHINESTONE, the audience
    was chanting "END END END..." til it did!
    or
    Sylvester Stallone singing country and western music (need I say more?)

anyway, hope you all had fun with this post.
    Ed

5. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Sorry,I forgot about this thread.
    I seen Underworld 2 last weekend.
    I enjoyed it very much. To me, It was easier to follow then the first. The F/X were very well done . Most if not all were non-CGI. If you like the first, give it a try. Has a "R" rating for a reason. No kiddies.

E-

6. Sword_of_SPEA

Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    This is more on the Movie News...since the movie hasn't came out yet.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen all the Firewall previews I have seen (makes this Ford Fangirl wheep with joy![face_love] ), but it looks like Harrison Ford has a new movie coming out on the 10th of February. It reminds some members of my family a bit of Air Force One, which once again I enjoyed, but I am a Harrison Ford Fanatic.

This new bit was linked on the TFN news page, you have to scrol down near the bottom to read it:

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-01-31/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408345/ (IMDB page on the movie itself

7. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    This one looks very good.If I can find someone to go with,Im there.

8. lukesky27

lukesky27 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    I forgot about this thread also...I saw Underworld 2 on opening night with a large group of friends. I was a fan of the first movie and thought that 2 was a little better. My biggest impression from the movie was the cool "kill" scenes in the movie. The audience was really into the movie as there were collective gasps and "OHHHHH"'s throughout the movie. If you liket he first one, give this one a chance. The ending was rather predictible, but what movie isn't these days? The Village shocked everyone, right? :confused:
    WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THAT WAS!!!!
    :oops:
    Dennis

9. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi to everyone:)

Here is my next movie, hopefully, I will see another movie in March:)

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.

I recomend this film to all, and especially those who may wish to learn
    more about what can go wrong, if modern day homeland security and
    patriot act bills get out of control.

The McCarthy era, is the central focus of this Black & White film.

It shows the fine line that had to be walked by journalist
    Edward R. Murrow in order to stop the use of a questionable
    accusation process that destroyed the lives of many people
    without due process or a trial.

(for example, Phil Brown, who played Uncle Owen, was blacklisted in 1952. He had just directed the Harlem Globetrotters in a 1951 film called the Harlem Globetrotters. He had to move his family to England because he helped found an Acting group that became an easy target for the House Un-American Activites)

This is a well written film, with a GREAT jazz score (Dianne Reeves), which
    I also highly recomend.

It shows a time when journalism and a commitment to accuracy actually
    existed. You will miss this when you go home after the film and turn on the news.

10. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    So I got to see The Libertine this afternoon after months and months of waiting. By now you've seen the trailer (I hope) and know that in the opening Johnny says that you will not like him. And I tried so hard to keep liking him but, wow... but down to more nitty gritty.

The story... I felt was hard to follow and kinda... pointless. In the end I didn't understand why John Wilmont was so important he got a movie made about his life. The characters, other than Wilmont himself, were completly forgettable, the actress chose to play Wilmont's love interest wasn't that compelling and they all ended up looking the same (long dark curly wigs, painted faces, similar outfits) which didn't help.

However, admist all this blah acting there was Depp... and I'm not just saying this because I'm a fangirl or anything but he really deserves this Oscar. I felt that the Academy was making up for lost time with the Pirates nom a few years ago but this time, if he gets shut out (unless there is a bright shining beacon ahead and I doubt there is) I will loose all faith in their skills.

Also, the character of Harris, one of the actors in London theater... I knew that voice. Luckily I was almost alone in the MASSIVE theater so I kept going "WTK, I know that voice. I think it's bloody Norrington from Pirates. But he didn't look anything like himself. Low and behold... it was. Mystery solved and my world was happy again. Johnny and Jack together again...

I guess it's because I don't know anything about Wilmont or the time the story was set but I felt the sexual beatings the audience got were kinda... stupid. Was it really necessary or in the end was it more for shock value. Even at 21 I was kinda shocked by it, and I knew it was coming.

Overall, great Depp performance, one of, if not, his best ever. He really got into the character and put his heart and soul into the portrayl. The stuff Oscars are made of (I wonder what his speech will be like). However the rest of the cast was lackluster at best and the story was ho hum. Why do I care about Wilmont and his historical "impact" other than it's freaking Johnny Depp and he's "up for it all the time".

Grade: C for poor acting and ho hum story. Johnny saved it from failing. Is it time for the next Pirates next? I now have 2 months without a new Johnny movie? *swoon and die*

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Some of us went to see" V for Vendita ", Yesterday afternoon.
    I would say this movie is very VERY good. Even though Hugo Weaving is behind the mask for the entire picture, He still is wonderful as "V". The incredibly beautiful Natalie Portman is very good and very charming in this role. I read into movies to much ,but the ONLY problem I had was that it doesn't explain very well that the hole premise of the war turn USA & the "Police" state of England is that Germany WON WW2. I only found this out reading the Synopsis. Otherwise a outstanding ,entertaining 2hrs & 15 min. I will definitely be picking this up on DVD.

Trailer's:
    X-Men III ( A++++ )
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man?s Chest ( C )
    Superman Returns ( A++++ )
    Poseidon ( B + )

12. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't think Germany won WWII in the "V For Vendetta" timeline. They never so much as hinted at it in the movie, and I can't find anywhere online where it says that. I think it's just suppose to take place in the future, where one party seizes control over the UK and rules central England with a dictatorship. So if that was your only gripe with it, you should feel better knowing that it wasn't even part of the movie! ;)

I liked it a lot as well. It was a nice change of pace from movies as of late. I think this dealt with some very important issues, and the dialogue was witty and thought-provoking. The only complaint I had with the movie was that there seemed way too many parallels to "The Phantom of The Opera". The story is totally different, but I kept waiting for V to break into a love sonnet with Evey. Maybe it's just me, though.

Overall, I thought "V For Vendetta" was a great movie... But what did you expect, it's coming from a comic series by Alan Moore. Can't wait to see "Watchman", if it ever gets out of production.

13. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    Hugo Weaving is V???? =P~ Now I pretty much have to see this movie.

14. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Yep,Im posative thats what I read. Germany won WW2. Here is the link I red on it.
    http://www.kerasotes.com/Movie.aspx?FilmID=1700

15. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    They must have changed that bit of plot from the graphic novel. In the graphic novel Alan Moore wrote it on the basis that the trends in government he was observing in the early 80's would continue. He thought that the ultra conservative movement in England would lead to the world he describes in V. Any similarities to ho w things are now is purely coincidental ;).

16. Bodknocks_

Apr 4, 2004
    Wow... Well, either Kerasotes website is a load of Bantha Poodoo, or that's a really stupid plot point that wasn't even mentioned in the film.

17. jedigrady3

jedigrady3 Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2005
    the queen remember me you were watching me last year

18. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    INSIDE MAN

saw this in INDY last week,
    (see whadaya up to thread)

Gotta recomend this as a pretty good
    action/adventure......thought I am unsure,
    where it gets it "R" rating.

The only scene that seems to motivate this rating,
    is a "video game scene"

or, I get the feeling, that there is some kind of
    message in the film about this (it is a Spike Lee film)

like, the video game might be rated "teen",
    but when it is in a movie, it gets an R rating....

have to look into this.

19. Bodknocks_

Apr 4, 2004
    If it's a Spike Lee movie, chances are there is a huge message in it that none of us are smart enough to get.

20. Sword_of_SPEA

Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    I only glanced at the IDS weekend today o_O , but they had a big write up on the latest Spike Lee movie. They said it dealt with the recent "Bank Robbing" craze in movies. I don't remember there being a rash of movies on bank robbing, but okay.

21. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    IDS can't tell their... well I'll stop there. Did you also read all the rebuttals to the stupid, completly unfactual review of V? Yeah, obviously the guy didn't even think of doing his homework before he wrote his article. I just use them to see which bands are playing where during the coming weekend and nothing else really.

22. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

___ICE AGE II_____

Laughed myself silly,

after throwing popcorn in air,
    spilling soda

and then hanging on to my stomach......

use caution when seeing this:)

23. Bodknocks_

Apr 4, 2004
    Quote for truth.

24. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    Harry Potter news:

The WB has released a date for the premiere of the next movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. (Highlighted incase no one wants to know o_O)July 13, 2007.

This leads to much speculation about the date of the last book's release date. Will it be Book 7 on 7/7/07? Or are we looking at a different month (or YEAR) all together? That's the questions plaguing the fandom right now.

Jo also says that the book is coming along great, despite running out of writing paper (good to see someone else is keeping that tradition alive) and not being able to find any in her hometown's downtown (then my mom pointed out to me that we can't find paper in downtown Bloomington really).

Sara

25. Jedi_Master_Casey

Jedi_Master_Casey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2004
    my birthday!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.