main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN ______MOVIES__(edit to include TV)__opinions and news.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Saw the movie listed below at the Showplace West in Bloomington,

It said it was a sneak preview, so am unsure when it will be around
    regularly, but I do recomend it for a fun time that is family friendly,

ok, I am just a little kid:)

Just saw,

Ratatouille

animated all the way....with no motion capture,
    and it was very good.

also, the goofy story line, was fun as well, with some
    typical father/son stuff.

So, I liked the idea of RATS in the kitchen, and as cooks

oh well, there ya have it.

2. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    As some of you know, I am a virgin to most other great "Geek fest" movies other then Star Wars. I tried to give LOTR trilogy a chance and could not get into them at all. I have started the Harry Potter trilogy. Monday night was HP & the Sorcerer's Stone. I liked it very much and was looking forward to seeing More. Last night I watched the Chamber of Secrets and absolutely adored it!
    It was so entertaining. I am going to do my best to watch Prisoner of Azkaban tonight and try and fit in Goblet of Fire on Sunday. I don't really know why I felt the need to pop in SS on Monday...something just told me to.I am so looking forward to Order of the Phoenix now!!!

E

3. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    i knew you'd like them eric!

4. tainted_crimson

tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh you people just had to bring up Harry Potter didn't you?

::checks the countdown on her desktop::

18 days until the Order of the Phoenix movie! 28 days until the Deathly Hallows book! 29 days until I cry my eyes out because it'll all be over.

(I'm rather angry that Bellatrix only has two lines in the entire OotP movie, because they cut three of them. Looking forward to the big showdown in 3D at IMAX though!)

5. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I watched Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban & Goblet of Fire this weekend.
    The more I think about the two ,the more I like them both at lot more then right after I watched them.
    I liked SS & COS VERY much..The child like innocence of the two stories. And now that Harry is getting older means older issue's for Harry to haft to deal with. POA was very confusing but Sara,John & Austin help me sort out the details I dint understand.
    GOF was really dark and serious and it is exciting to see Harry getting more confident and more powerful ,for a boy of 14. Overall this is the order is which I liked them best.
    1) COS
    2) SS
    3) POA
    4) GOF

Don't get me wrong now, I liked them all very very much and am now a bonafide Fanboy of the series. I just simply ador Chamber of Secrets the most.

6. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Stranger then Fiction

I got this from netflix. I have been curious to see this since it was released last year.
    It starts a little slow but really grabbed my attention quickly. Will Farrel is not his funny off the wall self but a does everything the same way to the tee everyday of every week kind of guy. The young lady the plays his love interested was so good and I even found her to be intriguing as he does. She was very easy on the eyes [face_love] too. Over all I enjoyed it a lot.

7. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Short review of Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix.
    I loved it. Of course the book is better but that is to be expected as you can fit so much more info into the books. I cant wait to see Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hollows in movie form.
    4 1/2 out of 5 for me.

8. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    HAIRSPRAY,

Well, as a huge fan of the original wacky John Waters film,
    and
    having heard the music of the broadway production (not impressed)

I was amazed at how much I liked the film.

and so, if you like "old school" musicals,

This was a pretty gosh darn fun film to see.

Ed

9. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Haven't seen Hairspray yet, but I loved the original and Mike's parents enjoyed this new one quite a bit as well. Saw Hot Fuzz and 300 over the weekend. Hot Fuzz was hilarious and you will get a kick out of it if you're a fan of Shaun of the Dead. I was a little disappointed with 300, though. I think my expectations were too high.

10. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    I too saw 300 over the weekend. I was pretty happy with it, but it didn't hold the same punch as Sin City, which I enjoyed greatly. Being a comic fan, I have been familiar with Frank Miller for quite some time and always appreciated him as a writer and artist. Of course his work is dark, but I found the humour in Sin City to really elevate it from a purely violent film to something gritty and entertaining.

I will have to check out Hot Fuzz as I love English humour... and now for something completely different...

Are there any up and coming movies this year, that look really good? Just curious, I don't get out much :D

11. mourning dewback

mourning dewback Jedi Master

May 30, 1999
    I just saw Hot Fuzz yesterday and it was fun. Simon Pegg is a hoot. I haven't yet gotten into the Heroes TV Series, but Season 1 comes out on DVD at month's end, and a friend has me psyched to check it out. Has anyone else watched it?

12. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Ya,its like the best show on tv!

13. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    If you are a romantic and enjoy action with a bit of comedy as well, make sure you see Stardust. It was a wonderful movie. Try not to read too much about it, just go see it. It is refreshing and entertaining. Stardust has my highest marks. I will likely go see it again.

14. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    It really was an awesome movie. I'd go so far as to declare it the 'new Princess Bride', because it's one of the few that had that sort of happy, carefree, anything can and will happen, feeling to it.

15. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    Resident Evil: Extinction! If you liked the other two movies, then you'll probably like the third. I absolutely loved the others and, while the third didn't quite reach the level of 1 and 2, it was still fantastic in developing the movieverse Umbrella story. I definitely recommend it for those who aren't sticklers about game-to-movie accuracy.

16. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
  17. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the bump:)

really, I should have titled this thread to include TV DVDs plays, etc

anyway,

I have not been to a movie in so long, I am wondering what's wrong with me.

I use to go to 2 or 3 a weekend,

and now.....I do not even know what's playing....WTH

BUT,

I am looking forward to the DVD release of the Family GUY Blue Harvest:D

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/media/news20071105.html

18. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Hey, I am roaming Bloomington, and have managed to find time to watch a film.

So, I go to my favorite, ShowPlace East,
    which is where I was opening day for the last two Star Wars films,

and learned, that they have no films I am interested in...........GEESSSHHH

and so

off to ShowPlace West, where almost every film is of some interest.

and so, I just go see the first film available to me,

and it just so happens to be,

SuperHero, the movie.

or just

SUPER HEREO

anyway, here are my thoughts on that.

SuperHero,

with

Leslie Nielsen...doing Naked Gun like humor

Marion Ross......still a favorite as mom

Brent Spiner ...kinda the crazy scientest, like in 4-th of July

Robert Hays ....of the Airplane series

well, I liked the geek/nerd joke about halfway into the film.

seems the action spilled over into a scifi convention of some kind called, HERO CON

anyway, this is a typical comical farce much like,

the Naked Gun.

It seems to parody Spiderman the most.

and it is extremely short. Actual film runs 1-hr and 10-minutes.

Fortunately the credits are about 20 minutes long and have many many jokes (some good!)
    in them.

However, I was with a typical audience, that, the second they saw credits,
    they all got up and left immedicately.

Normally, I kinda chide these types for missing one or two moments of extra film
    at the end of the credits, or maybe some out-takes, during the credits,

but this time, I think there is a little more than the usual amount at the end of the film.

anyway, it is a fun romp with lots of in jokes for us-types, and frequent movie goers.

But, I would wait till you find your favorite least expensive way to see this.

unless you have nothing better to do, as apparently I do[face_laugh]

19. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    OK, have seen Horton Hears A Who,

not too bad.

Comming attractions once again look like fun.

Wall-E

Kungfu-Panda

Ice Age 3

I think, hard to remember them all.

Anyway, the Horton I saw, had an ICE AGE cartoon in front of it.

also,
    I suggest reading Horton to kids before taking them to it,

This is a link I got from a quick google.

It looks ok to me, but I only did a quick skim through.

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/newsletter/horton.htm

20. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

Wall-E

and a GREAT Pixar short is with it as well.

Fun for all, kid safe, and fun fun fun:)

Sound designe by,

some light sabre / Star Wars guy,

Ben Burtt and Skywalker sound of course.

pretty gosh darn good.

MT

21. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006

WALL-E was seriously one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I went with Rae and Ben for Rae's 21st birthday and we all had great fun. There is a moment with a spork that had everyone in the audience laughing. It's well worth the money to see it in theaters!

22. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/one%20time%20use/Wall-E.gif]

23. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I really enjoyed it as well. I felt it was a more artistic effort than some of the other pixar movies (I am a pixar fan however). I LOVED the song at the end by Peter Gabriel. I think its most amazing accomplishment was that the main characters had so few intelligible lines, yet it still conveyed the story. They really put their thought in on this one. I would even see it a second time in the theater. Very pleasant.

On a side note, for those who haven't seen Stardust, do yourself a favor and check it out. A great movie that seemed to fly under the radar. Although Giaman fans might have a few issues with me calling it great... but in and of itself, it was great, kinda like the whole Dune movie thing, nothing like the book, but I actually like many aspects of it better than the books and a good movie on its own.

24. urreckless

urreckless Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2008
    Well I must be one of the few left who has not seen Wall-E. I think I will wait for video. I am kind of curious about Hancock, it looks like it could be good. I'm super excited to see the Dark Knight. Curious about the 3D Journey to the Center of the Earth. Get Smart and Kung Fu Panda are also on my list, as well as Iron Man. Anybody recommend any of those?

25. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm pretty excited about Dark Knight. Iron Man was excellent, and this is coming from a long time Iron Man fan (first comic series I ever collected.. course that was back in the early to mid 80s). I LOVE the new 3D movies. I would go see almost anything in that format, but for the small screen, I am not overwhelmed by its presentation so far... but I will likely see it anyhow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.