Bloom, IN __What kind of Star Wars fan are you:-)

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    based on and inspired by post from

theblondeleia
    and
    atataboy

2. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think that all of you that know me, know's what kind of fan I am. For those that dont, You could say ........I have an un-dieing love for Star Wars. Life with out the Star Wars universe would be ....Well not a Life I would want to think about.
  3. atataboy Hoosier Alliance Chapter Rep Bloomington,In

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    My fandom springs from how Star Wars has inspired me as an artist. When I was young, it helped to shape my creativity (in addition to Mr. Henson's many works) and opened a promising new world to me. My fandom today speaks to that.

I collect many things Star Wars, but only those things that speak to me. Items that either capture my attention or allow me to revisit my foundations.

I do enjoy costuming, but mostly due to the creativity. In many ways it helps me to envision the effort that went into making Star Wars, and truly treasure the end result.

I enjoy and create fan fiction and art because it allows me (in an unofficial manner) to contribute, in a fashion, to the Star Wars universe.

Star Wars allows me to find comfort when little can be found. It frees my thoughts when they are caged.

Truly, it is only a pleasant diversion; but among all diversion, it is amongst my favorites.
  4. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Might as well post my thoughts, too. :)

I'm pretty much, though not completely, the opposite of Eric on this. While I really like the Star Wars universe, I don't really see it as something to get obsessed over, especially in the collector area. As an avid reader and as a person who enjoys many movies, if I tried to collect/get into everything that I thought was a great story, I probably wouldn't have money to even buy food. :) I, of course, mean no offense to anybody who gets into collecting (and props to those who can stick it out and have the big collections), but for me I just don't see the draw in getting into collecting stuff that will never have an end to it, or simply collecting on the kind of scale that can take over people's houses and lives, especially when the items collected have to stay on a shelf and never be touched (art is the exception to this, of course, as being looked at is its purpose, but only if it *will* be displayed and not just stored). To me, collecting Star Wars stuff is truly a never-ending task, because they are constantly re-releasing the same stuff over and over again modified just slightly, or releasing characters most people have never heard of (oh, yeah, it was that guy who was in 3 frames of A New Hope in the cantina scene...).

Personally, I really just see Star Wars as a wonderfully told story (well, 4-6 were wonderful, 1-3 had some...issues... but they were still good) that has blossomed into a wider universe of characters and side stories, and how I prefer to appreciate Star Wars is in a more interactive way via the movies themselves, expanded universe books, video games, or hanging out with friends who dig Star Wars. Since I have a hard time buying something that's going to just sit on a shelf (or worse, be put in a box in storage; what good is that item really doing?), I strongly prefer those things that I can "play" with, that I can experience by either watching, reading, or playing. Those are the Star Wars items that further the SW universe itself, and to me there's not much better in the SW world than to play a new game or read a new book and watch the SW world grow.
  5. deepbluejedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I would consider myself a life fan....meaning that I've been around Star Wars since I was born basically. I've always been a collector....more casual than anything, although sometimes I tend to splurge more I probably should. I'm also a huge music fan. I've never been an EU person, but I'm trying to get in to some of the books right now.
  6. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Well,

One aspect of being a Star Wars fan for me is to make sure that archaeologists
    5000 years into the future, find Star Wars artifacts everywhere,
    and
    that they are stil collectable:D
  7. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Boy I cant wait to read Sara's responce to this!!
  8. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Not sure what she'll really say, though she's known my opinions on collecting for a long time now, i.e. I don't really get it, and it's not really for me, but I have no problems with people who collect and I actually have respect for those who can really stick with it ('cause if you are going to be obsessed with it, better to be serious about it :), and of course just because I don't collect doesn't mean I don't think some of the items are cool). Just as I know she's not really into the EU like I am, I'm at least fairly certain she knows I'm not into collecting but I don't have a problem with anybody who is. Simply, to each their own. :)
  9. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I use to collect everything, then just action figures, then just stuff I thought I needed, then just stuff I thought was cool, then just stuff I thought was rare, then just stuff that actually helped me to feel like Star Wars was in my life (insert favorite T-shirt of the day)
    and then just photo-s of stuff, and then just stuff to give to others, and then just stuff I liked to play with (insert video game or toy), and then just my notes on events, and then just photo-s of events, and then photo-s (and other media) of other Star Wars fans, and then just books, and then, more stuff involving fans, and then making my own stuff to collect, and then trying to collect memories to share with others, then collecting memories with others,

and then on my second day of being a Star Wars fan........:D
  10. daemondred Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I have been a fan of Star Wars for as long as I can remember. One of my first real memories (one that I remember on my own and not because of hearing this story told by others) is being excited about going to see Return of the Jedi when I was about three years old. Once we got to the theater, I was greatly disappointed to find out that my dad was taking me to see some dumb Disney movie (Bambi re-released or something like that) and my mom and brother were going to go see ROTJ. This is something I remind my parents of often as my brother really doesn't like Star Wars and doesn't remember seeing it despite the fact that he was a couple years older than me.
    I have always enjoyed the films and the books, but have never really gotten into the collectable scene. Like Tim, I enjoy being able to play with toys as opposed to displaying them and nearly every single action figure I have bought has been opened. I enjoy being able to immerse myself into the Star Wars universe and following the adventures of the characters that I have grown to love past what was seen on the silver screen.
  11. jangofett47102 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, i think everyone expresses their love for SW differently. Some collect, some express it in art, others are avid EU fans.

Personally I just really enjoy the feeling of the Star Wars universe. It's a "get away" from today's hustle and bustle.

One of my fav memories was watching the films for the first time when I was a kid. I'll never forget that feeling.

12. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Today, I am the kind of Star Wars fan that wishes I could visit the Star Wars fans
    in Indiana more often:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.