main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[A 90's cinema classic?] The Professional (aka: Leon)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthTunick , Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I just finished watching it on HBO 2, and although the performances were what I had expected (from all the hype I've heard over the years), I felt the overall message of the film (well, the lesson Matilda supposedly learned at the end, or the courage she finally learned, I don't know what hell what :p ) was utterly ridiculous. If played out as a comedy-drama, The Professional would have worked. Played out as a serious, thought provoking movie? No, it didn't work, not for me anyway. Out of ****, it gets a 2 (a 4 star rating system being my personal ranking system on anything in life, not just the movies).

2008: The 50th season of L.A. Dodger baseball! :cool:

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    What you watched was the Professional, not Leon.

While the Professional still told the story of an intimate relationship, a modern and obviously more violent version of Harold and Maude for instance, Leon goes a hell of a lot deeper and is way more emotional. At least when it comes down to Leon and Matilda.

Gary Oldman is god.

That is all. :)

3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Perhaps, but I doubt the very end of the film changed (at least where she ends up), and that is my biggest gripe about the film, and I don't see how it would change if I were to see Leon. More of what I already liked (ie: the great acting performances) wouldn't be a problem, Juli. :p

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Given that Leon is a highly regarded film, while you are a poster who thinks that posting in hideous red text looks cool, might I suggest that the problem lies not in the film but in your tastes?

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Do I agree about the text: yes (it's hard on the eyes)

Do I think it's appropriate for you to criticize his tastes: No

Agree to disagree, folks.

6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I should have put a smiley face or something, it was meant as a joke.

I like the film, but I don't have a problem with people who don't. There are lots of well regarded films that just don't click with me.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What exactly are the differences between "Leon" and "The Professional"? I've never seen "Leon". But I love "The Professional". Love it.

8. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I have the extended version (it's a region 1 release entitled Leon: The Professional) with more scenes between Leon and Mathilda, including training. Both cuts are good, with the shorter one being better paced, imo.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It's not the color, but the banner in the fourm (elsewhere, the red is not hard to read at all, considering that one banner usually isn't left up for so long, as is the case with this fourm :p ). As to the film, why would even more scenes between Mathilda & Leon even be warranted? An excellent job was done in establishing the bond the two end up having.

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ^It's been a while since I saw the extended cut, but one of the things I do remember is Mathilda asking Leon to sleep with her - he says no, obviously . There is also a scene between Leon and Danny Aiello's character which explains what happened to cause Leon to move to the USA (it was something to do with a woman and Leon killing someone over her, iirc).

I don't really get why you are looking for a message in the film - it's an action movie, after all. I don't think Die Hard has a message, but it is still a great film.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I said I agreed with him; not that you had to change it.

And it's 'forum'...:)

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Sorry. :p soitscometothis: Not all action movies are good, you know (though I am a fan of Die Hard).

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Leon is much better than The Professional.

I wish they would make a sequel focusing on Matilda. That would be interesting..

14. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Completely agree =) Recently rewatched Basquiat, and Tiptoes, I am a huge fan.

The rest of your post and others as well are good, Leon > Professional if you are a real film buff.

Professional however is quite good on its own, no exuses need to be made for it. Gary Oldman is a rockstar in either version, and Danny Aiello is the man =) I believe that if the Professional didn't do it for you at all, Leon won't either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.